Now they're going after Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you are missing is the fact there is a difference between not "celebrating" Halloween vs. intentionally replacing it with concocted PC holiday "celebrations" that also take up school time.

Fortunately, Disney hasn't fallen into that trap (where can I get tickets to Mickey's not so scary orange and black day?) and the articles I posted imply many other people in MA didn't miss that fact and are not happy with the "re-label Halloween" initiatives. That's not surprising in a region where Celtic ancestry has deep roots and people generally have very strong reactions when bureaucrats attempt to mess around with long held traditions.

Having an "orange and black" theme day doesn't take up any school time. Having a parade does. I don't see that Halloween is being replaces with some "PC holiday", the celebrations are simply being toned down a bit during school hours. The after school Halloween party will still go ahead, and kids can still be kids.

To your other point...

Disney parks aren't schools.

This is not the slippery edge of the wedge where cancelling the school Halloween Parade inevitably leads to the demise of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. :laughing:

What you are missing is the fact there is a difference between not "celebrating" Halloween vs. intentionally replacing it with concocted PC holiday "celebrations" that also take up school time.

Fortunately, Disney hasn't fallen into that trap (where can I get tickets to Mickey's not so scary orange and black day?) and the articles I posted imply many other people in MA didn't miss that fact and are not happy with the "re-label Halloween" initiatives. That's not surprising in a region where Celtic ancestry has deep roots and people generally have very strong reactions when bureaucrats attempt to mess around with long held traditions.

Who cares though? Really it's not some big global conspiracy against Halloween. It's two schools deciding to do something different to better fit their needs. The only people it should matter to are those actually involved.
I doubt most people in MA really care all that much.

Last edited:
I have some friends who are utterly, adamantly, almost militantly against Halloween. If any politician in their community expressed an interest in banning it, they'd be at the first city council meeting, professing their support. They keep their kids out of school that day because the other kids wearing costumes is "Satanic." They shut off their porch lights and spend the evening inside, I'm assuming watching documentaries about how evil the holiday is.

I don't support their attitude, but I can certainly see why they feel like the holiday is exclusionary. However, I sure as heck don't think the school should cancel the holiday to accommodate their kids.

Thank you for the example and yes, what is going on here (given the vague statements by the school administrators involved about Halloween not being "inclusive" enough) is at it's core tyranny of the minority. All it takes is for one person to complain that they find a particular holiday to be "offensive" and the bureaucrats immediately force the majority to accommodate that single complaint.

The problem is, that only exacerbates the problem, since these decisions are being made with complete ignorance of the emotional impact of banning long held traditions. What had been a benign annual event in October now becomes another flash point in the battle between those who want to hold on to traditions and those doubling down on trying to steam clean everything - based on a flawed notion that there can be a world where no one is ever offended by anything.

Last edited:
Ours have been "fall parties" for as long as I can remember. And here, trick-or-treat has had "hours" since I was a kid -- and <gasp> it's often not even on October 31. It's no big deal what it's called. It's still fun.
And here I thought it was only my area that "scheduled" Trick-or-Treat. Usually only the last Friday in October. Some areas do Sunday.

Who cares though? Really it's not some big global conspiracy against Halloween. It's two schools deciding to do something different to better fit their needs. The only people it should matter to are those actually involved.
I doubt most people in MA really care all that much.

Did you grow up in MA? I did and still have family there. And anyone who thinks that the slow but continuing and corrosive war on tradition that is going on is playing well there clearly doesn't know the state. Compared to most other northeastern states, it's actually one of the less culturally diverse and as I stated earlier, the Celtic traditions there (which include Halloween) have very, very deep roots.

But you are right, I shouldn't worry too much. Why, well, did you also know that Halloween represents the #2 spot, it terms of total national holiday spending, exceeded only by Christmas? And that spending on it has been growing faster than that of any other holiday including Christmas?

In other words, the spoilsports are actually losing. When it comes to the almighty dollar, Halloween is getting bigger, not smaller. :thumbsup2

Thank you for the example and yes, what is going on here (given the vague statements by the school administrators involved about Halloween not being "inclusive" enough) is at it's core tyranny of the minority. All it takes is for one person to complain that they find a particular holiday to be "offensive" and the bureaucrats immediately force the majority to accommodate that single complaint.

The problem is, that only exacerbates the problem, since these decisions are being made with complete ignorance of the emotional impact of banning long held traditions. What had been a benign annual event in October now becomes another flash point in the battle between those who want to hold on to traditions and those doubling down on trying to steam clean everything - based on a flawed vision that we must have a world wheres no one ever offended by anything.

Methinks you might be overthinking this one a tad bit. Seriously, "tyranny of the minority"?

Presumably you still have to dig out some black and orange clothing. Or is "orange and black day" just a label slapped on what is otherwise a regular school day?
Well it’s just a regular school day as far as I know, maybe the kids eats treats I don’t really know. My youngest is in sixth grade so I don’t have any young kids to dig out clothes for anymore, if she wants to find something orange or black to wear that’s on her, I don’t give it a second thought.

Are you saying "majority rules" simply because it's a "tradition"? I remember when I was in fourth grade. They had school time set aside for students to go to a trailer (my memory is a little fuzzy on the details) for a "special lesson". The trailer was made up like the cockpit of a jumbo jet. "Hey, this cool! I LOVE flying!" They're going to teach us special lessons based along a flying theme. The lessons were about the Bible. Specifically the New Testament. Picture Vacation Bible School during public school hours. I'm not sure who my parents contacted, but I remember having to sit out (in a separate classroom) while all of my friends and fellow classmates got to "go have fun in the airplane." Since I was just one student, there's no problem there, right? After all, the majority was "for" it.

The problem is, that only exacerbates the problem, since these decisions are being made with complete ignorance of the emotional impact of banning long held traditions. What had been a benign annual event in October now becomes another flash point in the battle between those who want to hold on to traditions and those doubling down on trying to steam clean everything - based on a flawed notion that there can be a world where no one is ever offended by anything.
Please, please, PLEASE explain what emotional impact ending this tradition will have. No one is stopping the kids from dressing up, trick or treating, going to haunted houses, parties, whatever. In fact, THE SCHOOL IS HOSTING A PARTY AFTER HOURS! So how exactly will this affect kids emotionally?

Waste of classroom time. Kids are in school to learn. Celebrate holidays at home.

Unless you are going to teach the history of the holiday.

When you're at work, do you spend all day, every day, doing work? Do you never have a chat with a co worker, a long lunch out, morale building activities? I'm an RN at a busy hospital and even we take time once in awhile to have a pot luck or fun luncheon, or get a meal catered by the hospital where we have extra staffing so everyone can have a bit longer break, socialize, and develop positive feelings towards their workplace.

Yes, learning is a big part of why kids are in school. But it is so important to allow them to be kids, too. Classroom parties are a nice break from the work, work, work mentality. Kids get to be creative through costumes or valentine's cards or winter decorations. They get to socialize and have a sugary treat ( Clutch my pearls). Kids who don't celebrate that holiday get to learn about how others do. Kids who do celebrate have the opportunity to learn why some don't and expand their world view as well.

It's also a nice way to let go of the stress that school can bring.

I have no problem with schools taking a break every once in awhile for a fun celebration, whatever they want to call it. If they want to be P.C. and call it orange and black day, celebrate with candy acceptance stations, and have a creative dress and movement display through the hallways, that's fine by me. But let the kids have a break and have fun now and again.

It seems to me that some people are just looking to be offended by other people being offended (even when that’s not actually happening and the decision made has a sound foundation and rationale).

It seems to me some people are just looking to be offended by anyone who dares to point out that things should not be banned or shut down based solely on vague, anonymous claims (which are neither "sound" or "rational") stating said things are somehow "offensive." ;)

Our public schools have never celebrated Halloween. We are only allowed two parties a year - one right before winter break and one at the end of the school year. No mention of Halloween is made during school and there are no costumes allowed, not because they want to ban the holiday but because it's not educationally pertinent and they don't waste instructional time on it.

I did make the theme of the PTA newsletter Halloween this year, though. It had a jack o-lantern, a witch, and a moon with a bat in front of it. The principal approved it, so it must have been ok!

It seems to me some people are just looking to be offended by anyone who dares to point out that things should not be banned or shut down based solely on vague, anonymous claims (which are neither "sound" or "rational") stating said things are somehow "offensive." ;)
"Vague, anonymous claims"? According to your second article,
But some families who don’t celebrate kept their kids home. This year, teachers told the principal it felt awkward planning something not everyone would enjoy.
So the school's TEACHERS said they had a problem with it. How is that vague or anonymous?

DD was sooo disappointed when she learned that costumes weren't allowed from 4th grade up in our district. She planned her costume all year from an early age.

I didn't know students older than kindergarten to lower elementary age even still went to school on Halloween in their costumes.

Most schools around here have Fall Harvest Parties & Fall Festivals if they do anything.

Random: If I were elected President, one of the first things I would do would be to make the celebrated day for Halloween always be the last Friday of October.

You would be a very unpopular president here - we take our Friday night football serious! lol :cheer2:

Did you grow up in MA? I did and still have family there. And anyone who thinks that the slow but continuing and corrosive war on tradition that is going on is playing well there clearly doesn't know the state. Compared to most other northeastern states, it's actually one of the less culturally diverse and as I stated earlier, the Celtic traditions there (which include Halloween) have very, very deep roots.

But you are right, I shouldn't worry too much. Why, well, did you also know that Halloween represents the #2 spot, it terms of total national holiday spending, exceeded only by Christmas? And that spending on it has been growing faster than that of any other holiday including Christmas?

In other words, the spoilsports are actually losing. When it comes to the almighty dollar, Halloween is getting bigger, not smaller. :thumbsup2

I've lived in MA my entire life.

In our town there are four elementary schools. The one my kids went to was the only one to ban the Halloween costume and party. This was due to the personal beliefs of the principal at the time. It was disappointing for my kids, but we sure did celebrate on our own.

Having an "orange and black" theme day doesn't take up any school time. Having a parade does. I don't see that Halloween is being replaces with some "PC holiday", the celebrations are simply being toned down a bit during school hours. The after school Halloween party will still go ahead, and kids can still be kids.

As others have pointed out, many schools set aside dates for other non--curriculum events (such as field days), so the whole "eating up classroom time" narrative you and several people have touched on is with all due respect flawed. This change was not made to open more class time.

To your other point...

Disney parks aren't schools.

:laughing:

I didn't say they were. My point was they apparently don't see the need to re-label the holiday to protect the supposed extensive universe of children and parents who supposedly find Halloween to be offensive or not "inclusive" enough.

If said universe was anything more than a tiny, tiny, tiny minority, you can bet in a heartbeat Disney would immediately go down the "Fall Festival/Black and Orange/other-ridiculous-relabeling-of-Halloween" path. The fact they haven't done that brings things right back to where I said they were:

Tyranny of the minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter