Now they're going after Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is not even implied, much less stated, in the two articles linked in the first post.

I beg to differ: direct quotes from the articles:

"the school says Halloween itself will be “Black and Orange” spirit day."

"In place of Halloween, the first annual William Mitchell Day will celebrate the school community and autumn on November 9."

Wow, William Mitchell Day......sounds like a blast.

Who is William Mitchell and why should his *** replace Halloween?

I was looking up William Mitchell, found a few. One was a lawyer and another was the name of the President of the USA in the film Dave! Didn’t see any others that would be important enough to have their own day!

Who is William Mitchell and why should his *** replace Halloween?

I was looking up William Mitchell, found a few. One was a lawyer and another was the name of the President of the USA in the film Dave! Didn’t see any others that would be important enough to have their own day!

Well the school is Mitchell Elementary :rolleyes1

Hikergirl was spot on.

This is from their website about the school:

upload_2017-10-23_21-11-31.png
upload_2017-10-23_21-11-55.png
upload_2017-10-23_21-12-32.png
upload_2017-10-23_21-12-56.png

*Probably way more than you ever wanted to know about this gentleman lol*

no I am not missing anything. Schools do not have to celebrate Halloween. Halloween involves getting dressed up and trick or treating AT NIGHT. If you are a Pagan or a Wiccan, then Halloween is an ACTUAL holiday. Otherwise it is a tradition and a candy grab.
Exactly!! Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ. If you don't believe in that its just a tradition. You're not really celebrating anything.

I beg to differ: direct quotes from the articles:

"the school says Halloween itself will be “Black and Orange” spirit day."

"In place of Halloween, the first annual William Mitchell Day will celebrate the school community and autumn on November 9."
Again, in neither instance is use of the word banned in either school. Altering the name f a celebration in no way equates to banning the use of a word.

Halloween is short for "All Hallows Eve", which per the Christian calendar is the night before All Saints Day, which always falls on November 1st .

So mandating that is must always fall on a Friday would as crazy as mandating that Christmas Eve must always fall on a on a specific day of the week.

All Saints' Day wasn't always on Nov 1st though. Ireland celebrated it in April, some Christian religions in the east celebrate it 50 days after Easter, etc. And some Eastern Christian Churches celebrate Christmas Day in January! There's still some scholarly discussion about the actual birthdate of Jesus.

Halloween is short for "All Hallows Eve", which per the Christian calendar is the night before All Saints Day, which always falls on November 1st .

So mandating that is must always fall on a Friday would as crazy as mandating that Christmas Eve must always fall on a on a specific day of the week.

Ummm.... except that it (All Hallow's Eve) has not ALWAYS fallen on that day, in fact it started on May 13 and was later moved to Nov 1. So no, not really too crazy to move it.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/All-Saints-Day

Exactly!! Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ. If you don't believe in that its just a tradition. You're not really celebrating anything.

Kinda presumptuous of you to tell people what and how they should be celebrating.

All Saints' Day wasn't always on Nov 1st though. Ireland celebrated it in April, some Christian religions in the east celebrate it 50 days after Easter, etc. And some Eastern Christian Churches celebrate Christmas Day in January! There's still some scholarly discussion about the actual birthdate of Jesus.
Stop using facts. They confuse the issue.

Ummm.... except that it (All Hallow's Eve) has not ALWAYS fallen on that day, in fact it started on May 13 and was later moved to Nov 1. So no, not really too crazy to move it.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/All-Saints-Day

Kinda presumptuous of you to tell people what and how they should be celebrating.
I'm just telling you the history of Christmas. Obviously very few people actually celebrate the true meaning of Christmas anymore. I really don't care how you celebrate it. Just pointing out how it started.

Again, in neither instance is use of the word banned in either school. Altering the name f a celebration in no way equates to banning the use of a word.

You are playing the semantics game. They specifically are not using the word "Halloween" to refer to the holiday on 10/31.

Hikergirl was spot on.

This is from their website about the school:

View attachment 278916
View attachment 278917
View attachment 278918
View attachment 278919

*Probably way more than you ever wanted to know about this gentleman lol*

I'm sure the schoolchildren in Needham are just thrilled about to not being able to participate in a traditional school Halloween parade in costumes. No, the Principal there knows best, and that they would rather prefer to wait until November for a substitute event, which in all likelihood feature the principal (and other local stuffed shirts) droning on in ceremony about some comparatively obscure historical figure their school happens to be named after. Fun, fun fun.......

Last edited:
You are playing the semantics game. They specifically are not using the word "Halloween" to refer to the holiday on 10/31.
Really? Are you sure? Or are they not using the word "Halloween" when referring to THEIR festivities? They changed the name of their festivity. So that means teachers and students aren't allowed to say the word "Halloween" in class or hallways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter