Now they say 7.00 gas

slightly off topic but similarly minded - will gas go down monday or tuesday (after the holiday)? i need to fill my car up and i don't know if i should do it now or after memorial day. i don't need to drive anywhere this week or most of next - but next friday, i have a long trip from IL to NC.

Glad you brought up the holiday increase. Wonder if it will go up more as the week comes to a close? I need to get gas and should probably do it soon and not in the middle of the holiday.

Our economy is built on the ability for people to move around freely and to move goods at a reasonable cost. At some point, we will cross that line and the economy will slow, maybe even go into recession. Wal Mart is already stating they will not meet earnings estimates, which means the lower wage earners are already cutting back. That will trickle down as time goes on. I think the breaking point around here is somewhere between 3.50 and 4.00 a gallon. We are around 3.10 now.

I have a job where I am reimbursed based on gas price, right now it is about .35 a mile. I have an older model Saturn that will get 37 mpg on the highway. It is enough to cover gas in both vehicles. I do not fudge mileage numbers to get reimbursed more, my job is more important than an extra 5 bucks on the paycheck due to a gas price increase.

We just need to be smart in our travels. This to shall pass.

Heck my own daughter's HS will be 3 miles away from our house with no public transportation avail for her for after-school activities..

Do you "expect" that? Our school busses (and no public busses go to the schools) only run directly before and after school, and parents are responsible for their kids after that. That's the way it's always been. Seems fine to me.

I am hoping to become much more comfortable on my motorcycle, so that I can start taking it to work. I have a Ford Focus ZX3 and it's good on gas, but if gas continues to rise to $5 or more a gallon, I am going to be forced to ride my Vulcan. Maggie

I need to buy a bike :rotfl:

Me too, then hubby can take it to work and I can take it on those quick trips to the grocery store where I'm buying stuff that I could throw into a backpack.

I guess I will be moving to Mackinac Island. There are no cars there. Just bikes, horses and walking.

I guess we are pretty much SCR#$ED because we have 2 monster SUV's..I have a GMC Yukon XL and DH drives a Ford Expedition. Getting something smaller for us is not an option because DH is a coach and we tote kids all year around including our own. We average about $500.00 a month in gas alone because the school he coaches at is 30 minutes away from our house. I have brought up the fact that the $$$ he makes coaching does not even begin to cover his expense of gas, but I get the ol' " Well I LOVE IT, so I am not giving it up"......I love sugar too, but the dr. told me I had diabetes and I don't eat it anymore..:rotfl2: Men can be so difficult sometimes..God love them!!!!

It's nice to dream...I look at my GP's who raised two kids in a small row house under 700 sf. (no garage, 1 bath)

I do agree that we should attempt smaller houses...Unfortunately smaller doesn't make as much money as 5000 sf homes with pricey add-ons so developers don't build any.

I don't think that's a fair assumption. We built our current home with a ton of energy saving options, and use less power now in a 2900+ s/f home than we did in a 1600 s/f home. Our pricey add-on's were more often than not energy saving items--better insulation, a radiant barrier in the roof, eight ceiling fans, a heat pump for the A/C, etc.

You're making some very general assumptions which are not at all true in many cases.

Anne

If gas goes to $7 a gallon I'll leave the roadster home more often and use my sedan instead--it gets 10 mpg better mileage. I've been thinking about trading it in for a VUE Greenline, which gets about the same gas milage (36 mpg) but will instead look at a Prius which gets 50 mpg--that's what DH already drives.

Anne

I agree that we as individuals need to change our consumption. I'm already to the point where I go up to a week without going anywhere in the car so I think I've just about done what I personally can. But what steams my clams is the unnecessary usage I see in local, state and federal governments.

We live in a smallish subdivision, but yet the school buses come into the subdivision, drive all the way through and stop at each kid's driveway. The bus could make one stop at the front -- it's not far for the little darlings to walk that far. There are lots of subdivisions in our area that are the same way and they bus goes into every one, stopping at each driveway. Is that necessary? How much gas could be saved by eliminating the mileage driven in all those areas?

Do we, as a country, really need Saturday mail delivery? How much gas would we save by eliminating Sat. delivery?

When state officials travel to a conference, why do they each get to take a state car? Why can't they form up carpools and put four in each car, since they're all going to the same place, for the same event?

Why do the cops drive 80+ MPH around here on the Interstate when they're not responding to a call (at least I assume they're not since the lights aren't flashing). If you 're responding to a call, turn on the lights. If not, slow down and maximize your MPG (same goes for individuals, but that's another story).

Why does the guy who reads our water meter drive the whole route, stopping at each house and getting out of the truck to take the reading? Why can't he park at the top of each street and walk? Yes, I get that it saves time for him to drive, but we're nearing the point where time/convenience is going to have to become a secondary concern, not the primary concern.

The list goes on. I could also rail against businesses I see wasting gas, but that's another topic. I just get frustrated that we, as individuals, get told to conserve, conserve, conserve -- and some of us do -- but the governments seem to go merrily on making no changes. If the govt. would take some changes, they could really help make a big difference in the demand for gas and, as a result, the prices.

It's going to take all of us working together as individuals, governments and businesses to change the way we live and ease our dependence on oil. Individuals can only do so much -- we need help.

Well according to the news last night, Chicago has the highest gas prices in the US. I had to pay $4.19 a gallon last night.

In the big scheme of things, gas prices will not affect my consumption. But I only drive to work. I walk to Target - which has a double savings attached to it - I can only spend what I can fit into my wheeled cart and wheel home. I can walk to the lake, park, beach and several museums. I take a bus or a cab to most restaurants. I walk to Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. I take public transportation to things like - white sox games, cubs games, airport etc. It is rare for us to even get in the car on weekends.

My grocery store will deliver, or I use Peapod.

I love living in the City

What I don't understand is how they can jump more than 30 cents at a time? I can see a nickel a dime but 30 cents? This morning my DH called said go fill up I got gas at 3.13 but right across the street it's 3.49. So I went right out at 11:15 and filled up my car at 3.16. We have a conversion van that we park and only use for travel or weekends and I needed gas in that too and figured I'll go out again when I pick up my DS from Kindergarten at 11:50 well got to the gas station at 12:04 it was 3.49:scared1: Luckily there was another down the street that hadn't went up yet and was still 3.16 but now they are all 3.49.

I had to run to the pharmacy yesterday for Zyrtec (major need right now)and when I passed the gas station it was $2.84....10 minutes later passing it again it was up to $3.06 that is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!:scared1:

Thankfully I don't drive far at all in my gas guzzling *I'm the reason why you are paying more at the pump* SUV. :rolleyes: My tank fill up of 25 gallons will last me at least 6 weeks sometimes 8-9 at a time. I don't work, kids walk to and from school, grocery store is a couple of blocks away and DH works 13 blocks from home. I just looked at my gas receipts for the last year from Dec 2005 until Dec 2006 when I bought my Armada. In that year I paid $576 and some change for gas for my car for the entire year. That averages to $11.00 a week so no I don't feel bad driving my SUV and there are times when it is a nightmare on the roads with snow that I need to get my parents to the doctor or the hospital and so I continue to drive it.

I am not seeing the jumps here many are stating. The station near my home went up only 5 cents from 5/11 until a few minutes ago.

Actually, I wouldn't mind one of those little electric cars for around town driving (which includes work).

dawn

yeah no kidding, at i alreayd am cheap as can be with what i do, at 7.00 i will be buy ing me a metro pass!!! bus ways here i come!! lol

Not to pick on you specifically but... Why not buy that metro pass now?

For our little family I am able to walk to work and Hubby either takes public transportation to school or rides his bike. We maybe use a car 3 or 4 times a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts