Now that California is fully reopened and we can go to Disneyland without masks or distancing...

Foxhound3857

Mischief Managed
...how long will it be before Disney allows contact with the characters again, I.E children to hug them?

Yes, Disneyland is mask free for guests but not staff. And California really isn't fully open because so many places still require masks and social distancing.

Yes, Disneyland is mask free for guests but not staff. And California really isn't fully open because so many places still require masks and social distancing.

Yes, it's sort of tentative right now. Most businesses CAN go without masks or social distancing now, but a lot of them are choosing to keep those restrictions in place for the time being. I think each one is waiting for the other to blink on this matter and nobody wants to set precedent by being one of the first, kind of like a mexican standoff.

I'm just waiting for my workplace, Nordstrom Warehouse in Glen Helen, to finally lift their mask restriction so I can breathe freely while I work in Picking.

Yes, it's sort of tentative right now. Most businesses CAN go without masks or social distancing now, but a lot of them are choosing to keep those restrictions in place for the time being. I think each one is waiting for the other to blink on this matter and nobody wants to set precedent by being one of the first, kind of like a mexican standoff.

I'm just waiting for my workplace, Nordstrom Warehouse in Glen Helen, to finally lift their mask restriction so I can breathe freely while I work in Picking.
I work for a corporation with 64 locations, only two of them in California. Mask mandate will be reviewed again July 12th, until then nationwide we still have to wear masks in the office and in any public setting.
As for California, let's hope this reopening doesn't trigger a spike in covid cases.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do that thing.

To some level I agree with you, as I felt it was too early for any state to fully reopen in the first place, not until we hit 50% nationwide vaccination at least. But doesn't that also defeat the purpose of a full reopening if people are now allowed to go back to a degree of normalcy but most of them won't? That businesses no longer have to abide by a state mandate but most are still going to enforce it?

[/QUOTE]

Where? Besides transportation (airports, buses, trains) and medical offices. Where else is still requiring masks?

I think bringing characters back to hug one unvaccinated child after another is probably not a prudent thing. Once a large percentage of children are vaccinated, or the virus is eradicated the hugging characters could be back.

I think that’ll be the very last thing to return. And I’m sure it’ll have to be worked out with the unions.
If it's one thing that has stuck with my husband and I it's space. We're much more aware of space around us and I think people are more than willing to hug their friends and family but strangers is still a bit iffy at the moment. Even with my husband's company they aren't really back to handshaking yet and they are doing billion-dollar deals without it. I think for Disney while they may allow the characters to come out more than before as time goes on and giving the guests more of that hybrid interaction they want they'll be weighing closely that very close very constant very repeated contact with the global population that a meet and greet hug has. I think you're totally right about the unions

I think bringing characters back to hug one unvaccinated child after another is probably not a prudent thing. Once a large percentage of children are vaccinated, or the virus is eradicated the hugging characters could be back.
The virus will likely be around in some form for a very long time. I do not believe that children will be widely vaccinated any time in the near future.

Where? Besides transportation (airports, buses, trains) and medical offices. Where else is still requiring masks?
Government buildings..although I'm not seeing 100% compliance except airports. Most wearing mask aren't covering their noses. Rumor has it those mandates will be gone by September

Last edited:
I haven't found any retailer in my part of California that has taken its mask requirement signs down. I've checked the requirements from our local health directors, and all align with the state guidance, which is that fully vaccinated individuals don't need it. But we've gone shopping or getting takeout, and every single place still hasn't relaxed it.

Wow! I was going to plan a trip to Cali/Disneyland but didn’t know so many restrictions were still in place. We’ve been wide open for more than a bit and infections are at the lowest since this began. Is Cali still having high transmission rates?

I'm in NJ and even though our mask mandate is over most people still wear them indoors. Walmart, Target, the grocery store. As the weeks go by I do see less people wearing them but it's still about 80% wearing them. Some small businesses still require a mask but that's few and far between.

Is that what is going on in Cali? The mandate is over but businesses are still requiring them on their own?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter