Not-so-Magical Christmas surprise.

We missed the video also. I had nesting boxes wrapped with a clue telling them to search for the new ornament. Had a steamboat Willie ornament right up front. They looked for all of 10 seconds and DH told them that its right up front. My DD has a cold and started coughing. She got choked on snot and I thought she was going to throw up. Meanwhile the rest of the family is peppering her with "do you know what it means?" " do you know where you are going?" She was just trying to breathe and not throw up. If they would have left her alone it would have been great. My DS takes his clues from her so he didn't know what to think.

Sorry your kids did not give you the ideal reaction. I'm always afraid of a less-than-picturesque reaction to big gifts--adult OR child. I surprised my best friend with the news I've booked her on the Dream at the end of January with myself, our other best friends, and my family. I was nervous that she wouldn't react how I expected, or worse--not want to go. She was in pure shock initially. It wasn't until a few hours later that it really sunk in, and she's as giddy as any little kid about it!

It's so easy when you're excited about something yourself and you want others to be, too, to build up expectations in your head about how that person (or persons) will react. There were some moments when I really thought that maybe she wasn't as thrilled as I thought she'd be. But later, it was all she could talk about and wouldn't stop asking me questions! So, give your kids time. Kids under 10 have no real concept of time, so maybe make some sort of countdown calendar for them and talk about the cruise everyday up until you leave. I have no doubt they'll be excited by then.

I don't have kids, but I have 3 nieces and 1 nephew. I've learned over the years not to expect what I envision their reactions to things will be--because they'll almost always disappoint you. Not deliberately, 'cause they're kids.

We have been waiting for MONTHS to tell our sons 5 & 8 about our 1st cruise!! We're going on the Magic out of Galveston on Jan 26th. Well, we had the most adorable box of stuff full pics and things to tell the kids we where going, including a cute little note from out Elf on the Shelf telling them we had been keeping a secret etc... We set up the automated call from Mickey, the whole 9 yards.
And they where tremendously under impressed.....
I get it. They're young and don't really know what to expect..... but CRAP!!! Our video is terrible, I mean, they asked if hey could play Skylanders now. And I told my hubby to turn the #%@$ thing off!! I almost cried. We've watched some YouTube vids and talked about it all day, and its a LITTLE better. Definitely NOT the picture I painted in my head!!!

Your story reminds me of last summer when I surprised my then 10 year old with a trip to Disney World - down to we were at the Orlando airport and she still thought we were going to visit friends in Kentucky. It was so hard to keep the secret and pack things for Disney without her seing or making up excuses for why I wanted to bring certain items to her Nanny's house. So we get down to the level to get on the Magical Express and well lets just say it was not Magical at all - as a matter of fact she was the only child sitting on the bus - in tears - yes IN TEARS - saying all I wanted to do was go to Kentucky and see Nanny and Sophie. Okay so it was her like 22nd trip to Disney World but come on - it never gets old - right??? So long story short the other part of the surprise was her Nanny and Sophie were at the hotel waiting in the lobby to surprise her - well to get her to stop crying I had to blow that part of the surprise and tell her they were there waiting for her and that we were all about to spend ten wonderful days together in Disney World. You see a few years before we surprised Sophie and showed up at Disney when she didn't know we were coming (had the girls sit on opposite sides of the concrete bench by Dumbo and had my daughter say key things like names and things Sophie would recognize - not to mention my daughters voice - until Sophie finally said, "Mom you are not going to believe this but Aunt Tracy and Annalise are sitting on the other side of this bench!" Priceless)!

Minnie321 said:
Your story reminds me of last summer when I surprised my then 10 year old with a trip to Disney World - down to we were at the Orlando airport and she still thought we were going to visit friends in Kentucky. It was so hard to keep the secret and pack things for Disney without her seing or making up excuses for why I wanted to bring certain items to her Nanny's house. So we get down to the level to get on the Magical Express and well lets just say it was not Magical at all - as a matter of fact she was the only child sitting on the bus - in tears - yes IN TEARS - saying all I wanted to do was go to Kentucky and see Nanny and Sophie. Okay so it was her like 22nd trip to Disney World but come on - it never gets old - right??? So long story short the other part of the surprise was her Nanny and Sophie were at the hotel waiting in the lobby to surprise her - well to get her to stop crying I had to blow that part of the surprise and tell her they were there waiting for her and that we were all about to spend ten wonderful days together in Disney World. You see a few years before we surprised Sophie and showed up at Disney when she didn't know we were coming (had the girls sit on opposite sides of the concrete bench by Dumbo and had my daughter say key things like names and things Sophie would recognize - not to mention my daughters voice - until Sophie finally said, "Mom you are not going to believe this but Aunt Tracy and Annalise are sitting on the other side of this bench!" Priceless)!

That.Is.Amazing!!

There's a Buzzfeed article called "Why kids are the worst" go read it now! Laugh! And there's another one called "Why kids ruin Christmas." Seriously go read those. They are funny. And it will make your day better.

I had a big surprised laid out for my mom a few months ago. It was going to be spilled out in a "cute" manner. Then I spilled the surprise in the lay over in Atlanta on our way home. By the time I came home my mom was giddy. I kinda' think the idea of the surprise and then how it actually happened are better than if I did the actual surprise.

I hate surprises. Always have. As a kid, I went to disney once on a pretty limited budget and until I returned as an adult it was always like this amazing pie in the sky fantasy type idea. Even so, if my parents had brought me to Orlando and sprung it on me, they would not have liked my reaction. The unpleasantness of the surprise would have far outweighed going to disney. Sure I would ultimately have been happy, but not nearly as happy as if I had been spared the surprise. Also, it deprives you of the chance to anticipate the trip, which sometimes is half the fun. If you are a disboarder, there is a good chance that you enjoy the planning and anticipation. Whether genetically or environmentally, consider that your children are like you.

Being a surprisaphobic, I've learned there are more of us than one might think. Everyone loves a surprise party, right? Not really. For many of us, our brains don't do well with it and the thought is repulsive. If you know your child does well with surprises, great. But if you're not sure, know that it's not a one-size fits all proposition.

Also, at least be sensitive to (or even just aware of) the fact that surprises are often crafted to be more about the surpriser than the surprisee.

I think those kids who get all excited with surprise vacations are not the norm. For my son, being told he was going on a Disney cruise meant nothing to him. He's 5 and being 5 he couldn't really grasp the concept even after watching videos about the trip. After he went on his first one he was happy about the second one but no where near as excited as I was, lol.

I have to remind myself not to expect a certain reaction when it comes to Christmas, his bday or vacations. Although he's excited by all of it it's never as much as I'd like to be. Best thing to do is to lower and have more realistic execrations.

I can completely relate to your disappointment! My daughter is 8 and not a big Disney fan. To the extent that I just won't go to the parks anymore with her. I tried it once and she refused to enjoy anything but the pool at our hotel. I had previously only been to the parks as an adult and had a blast so I was angry/frustrated/sad that I couldn't share such a fun experience with my child. I think if I had been able to get over my own childish disappointment I could have enjoyed the vacation but I am sad to say I was grumpy the whole time.

We went on a Disney cruise last March and she loved it so we are going again this March. But even on the cruise there were times when I just wanted to cry because something I was really looking forward to fell apart. I had been eagerly looking forward to snorkeling and had spent the previous summer introducing DD to mask and snorkel in the pool. But faced with sand in her flippers and waves she freaked out, threw her mask at me, and refused to even try. I actually did cry.

I have to keep reminding myself not to anticipate too much. To just let things flow as they will. It's really hard. But it's even harder to enjoy the vacation when reality crashes into daydreams as it always seems to!

I just love y'all. You have made me feel so much better about this trip. I really appreciate the honestly. :)

lark said:
I hate surprises. Always have. As a kid, I went to disney once on a pretty limited budget and until I returned as an adult it was always like this amazing pie in the sky fantasy type idea. Even so, if my parents had brought me to Orlando and sprung it on me, they would not have liked my reaction. The unpleasantness of the surprise would have far outweighed going to disney. Sure I would ultimately have been happy, but not nearly as happy as if I had been spared the surprise. Also, it deprives you of the chance to anticipate the trip, which sometimes is half the fun. If you are a disboarder, there is a good chance that you enjoy the planning and anticipation. Whether genetically or environmentally, consider that your children are like you.
I HATE/loathe surprises. I found out all my holiday gifts. My mom is the opposite and doesn't get why I hate not knowing.

My daughter and son are ten years apart. So while my daughter is thrilled...my son has very little idea of what it means.:p It think the reaction I am waiting for is the one that we all will fee when actually stepping on board and it actually being real then. :goodvibes Make sure you tell us all how great of a time you had! ;) I am on the same cruise as you, btw :thumbsup2

I am sooo glad that your feeling better!I agree the posts have been great.We are blessed to be able to take another Cruise and surprised them again for Christmas.We had the character call at 5pm so 5min before call I had them go sit on couch.Camera and camcorde was ready.Boy was that a long wait.....yes they were surprised.DS14 was most excited about the KeyWest stop so he could get real KeyLime pie?!?!?!DS5 was happy and about a minute later was playing with his toys!For a sec I thought Oh nooo we have spoiled them so much their not that excited!?but brought myself back to reality.Last year I couldin't stop talking about cruise,my oldest said I'll get excited when It's actually happening-and they did!!Yes there may not be some picture perfect moments while even on cruise(or everyday life for that matter)but its all good:cheer2 I showed my oldest your post and he laughed.Yes I too have my freak out moments,and I'm sure hes old enough to relieze we as parents try so hard(maybe too hard sometimes).Than he looked at me and said skylander is really neat:confused3 Have fun on your cruise:wave2:

Of course the disappointment was understandable but kids (especially young kids) often don't react the way you expect them to regarding something that isn't happening RIGHT NOW. My nephews are older and would have preferred to play Skylander too.

as for not getting the great video you anticipated...google "Disney world Dick's house" if that is still around on YouTube...

Every year I would surprise the kids with a trip to WDW and it always went very well.

My son Sam (then 8) saw a the DCL commercial and really wanted to go, we got the DVD and he was so excited. So we decided to book a DCL.

We went to WDW as a surprise first. At the end of our trip just before leaving the room we announced that we were going on the cruise. 2 of my DS were beyond excited, Sam started crying in horror!! :eek: Then we found out he had googled scene from Titanic and Poseidon a couple of weeks before we left :scared1: Posted the video on FB

He did not want to go, he cried the entire ride to the port. At the port as we were passing security he was still crying... The officer told him it it was only a movie it never happen... I had to carry him, he was clutched to me like a panda!! All the CM were so wonderful and tried to help but he was still freaked out... They made us board right away, guess they did not want him to scare the other kids :lmao: "we all gonna die" "it's going to sink"

In the end he did have fun but stayed anxious. He did a second cruise, he refused to come. He said he may tried it again...

I'm sorry they didn't react the way you wanted. I've been there too. I've imagined DD3 experiencing something and had tears in my eyes. When we get there, she could not be less impressed. But, she always remembers and talks about it for months afterward.

Being a surprisaphobic, I've learned there are more of us than one might think. Everyone loves a surprise party, right? Not really. For many of us, our brains don't do well with it and the thought is repulsive. If you know your child does well with surprises, great. But if you're not sure, know that it's not a one-size fits all proposition.
While DH& I both love a good surprise, this is exactly why we told our kids at Chirstmas about our cruise booked for Feb. DD 11 HATES surprises. She would be a grump & ruin it for everyone around her if we didn't give her plenty of warning!

Every year I would surprise the kids with a trip to WDW and it always went very well.

My son Sam (then 8) saw a the DCL commercial and really wanted to go, we got the DVD and he was so excited. So we decided to book a DCL.

We went to WDW as a surprise first. At the end of our trip just before leaving the room we announced that we were going on the cruise. 2 of my DS were beyond excited, Sam started crying in horror!! :eek: Then we found out he had googled scene from Titanic and Poseidon a couple of weeks before we left :scared1: Posted the video on FB

He did not want to go, he cried the entire ride to the port. At the port as we were passing security he was still crying... The officer told him it it was only a movie it never happen... I had to carry him, he was clutched to me like a panda!! All the CM were so wonderful and tried to help but he was still freaked out... They made us board right away, guess they did not want him to scare the other kids :lmao: "we all gonna die" "it's going to sink"

In the end he did have fun but stayed anxious. He did a second cruise, he refused to come. He said he may tried it again...

You 8 year old Googled Titanic video and The Poseidon Adventure video, watched them without you knowing, and then posted it on Facebook without you knowing, or am I reading this wrong?!?!? lol!

We planned a trip to Disney when the kids were little, my cousin her husband and two kids were coming as well. My kids were not allowed to say a thing about the trip to her kids as she did not want to tell them, in case something happened on the way and the plan had to change. To this day that is the only time her kids have ever been to Disney, they were 3 and 6 at the time, are 25 and 22 now. And we all live 2 1/2 hours away. The kids hated it because she is so uptight about everything she would not let them ride BTMRR, even though they were the right height. Don't even think about HM... she wanted to keep them in Fantasy Land all day long.

You 8 year old Googled Titanic video and The Poseidon Adventure video, watched them without you knowing, and then posted it on Facebook without you knowing, or am I reading this wrong?!?!? lol!

He watch clips/parts of the Titanic & Poseidon movie that are on you tube. I did not know that he did. He is a wiz at the computer managed to bypass most parental control. We (and the IT guy) have no clue how he does it.

I posted the video of us telling them about the cruise on FB

He watch clips/parts of the Titanic & Poseidon movie that are on you tube. I did not know that he did. He is a wiz at the computer managed to bypass most parental control. We (and the IT guy) have no clue how he does it.

I posted the video of us telling them about the cruise on FB

Oh wow!
You should enrol him in an IT school!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter