Noob questions

sethschroeder

DIS Veteran
Are all food options included? I see some have dining rotations and others just have restaurants to choose from are all included?

Also is there an option to have drinks included? Or possibly a room category?

Did I read correct that all kids programs are included? Or would there be a charge for a 3 year old to participate in programs?

Is there a suggested month for the Caribbean for cheaper cruises but at least weather in the 70s? I have flexibility for work and the DW does not work.

Main dining rooms (there are 3, you will rotate through each 3 as assigned to you) are included. Cabanas (buffet for breakfast and lunch) is included. Pool deck quick service food is included. Specialty restaurants (Palo, Remy) are additional cost.

You cannot have all drinks included / there is no drink package on DCL. Concierge level guests have access to a lounge with alcoholic drinks available at certain times. Otherwise it's pay per drink, except that fountain soda, juices at breakfast, milk and coffee are included.

3yo can participate in the included kids programs in Oceaneers Club and Oceaneers Lab (two sides of the kids program - ages 3-12 may attend). 3yo must be fully potty trained though. 3yo can also attend the Small World Nursery for an additional cost.

We cruised in November 2017 and the weather was certainly still in the high 20's (celsius) and it was cheaper than the comparable August cruise we had previously booked.

Are all food options included? I see some have dining rotations and others just have restaurants to choose from are all included?

Also is there an option to have drinks included? Or possibly a room category?

Did I read correct that all kids programs are included? Or would there be a charge for a 3 year old to participate in programs?

Is there a suggested month for the Caribbean for cheaper cruises but at least weather in the 70s? I have flexibility for work and the DW does not work.
There are 3 main dining rooms onboard the ship. Everyone is assigned a specific rotation to eat in all 3 of them during the cruise. Your specific servers will rotate with you. There's also Cabanas (buffet for breakfast & lunch, sit down service for dinner). All those venues are included in your cruise fare. As are the quick serve eating locations on the pool deck.

There are also extra pay adult dining venues on the different ships.

Sodas are included in your cruise fare - that is sodas from the drink stations on the pool deck and in Cabanas. Also for dinner. Only beverage "packages" are the wine package, and a beer package.

A 3 year old will go to Oceaneer's. There's no charge for that. If you need to place your 3 year old in the nursery there's a charge.

A 3 year old will go to Oceaneer's. There's no charge for that. If you need to place your 3 year old in the nursery there's a charge.

My 4 year old did not like to go to the Oceaneer's by himself though. He was fine when one of his older cousins was there (ages 6-10) but didn't like to stay too long alone. He is outgoing and goes to pre-school, but I think the clubs were still a little too busy for him.

Also cruises are cheaper in the early fall - because of a lot of kids in school, but just have to watch out for Hurricanes.

As for booking your cruise, there are various rates based on demand. The week between Christmas and New Years is probably the highest cost. Spring Break may be second, traditional summer season is third.

We've gone in August, December, and twice in April. December was a little colder than we'd have preferred. August was a little hotter than we'd prefer. Sept - Nov is good temps, but hurricanes.... I'd say from March - May is probably ideal, as long as you avoid spring break.

Alcoholic drinks are not included. Sodas ordered at at bar cost extra. Sodas ordered from room service cost extra.

Coffee, tea (hot and iced), soda, milk and juice are included. There are drink stations near the pools. Servers will bring these types of drinks with your meals (you serve yourself in Cabanas during b'fast and lunch). You can also order from room service (soda from room service is an extra charge b/c it comes in a can).

We cruised the Caribbean the first of December and the water was warm enough to swim in.

And when Oceaneer's says potty trained, they mean 100%, without prompt or assistance from staff.

Main dining rooms (there are 3, you will rotate through each 3 as assigned to you) are included. Cabanas (buffet for breakfast and lunch) is included. Pool deck quick service food is included. Specialty restaurants (Palo, Remy) are additional cost.

You cannot have all drinks included / there is no drink package on DCL. Concierge level guests have access to a lounge with alcoholic drinks available at certain times. Otherwise it's pay per drink, except that fountain soda, juices at breakfast, milk and coffee are included.

3yo can participate in the included kids programs in Oceaneers Club and Oceaneers Lab (two sides of the kids program - ages 3-12 may attend). 3yo must be fully potty trained though. 3yo can also attend the Small World Nursery for an additional cost.

We cruised in November 2017 and the weather was certainly still in the high 20's (celsius) and it was cheaper than the comparable August cruise we had previously booked.

You can buy wine by the bottle and I believe a wine package is available. Not in the sense of one fee for unlimited wine, but something like 7 bottles for a "7-night package" or "3-night wine package". Don't quote me on the package; we're not big drinkers but my coworker and her family love wine and mentioned buying some kind of deal. I'm pretty sure it's listed on the wine menu at dinner.

If you don't finish a bottle at dinner, it will be recorked and labelled with your name and your servers will bring it to the next dining room rotation the next evening. Of that I am certain. :thumbsup2

In general, the rule of thumb is: if it's prepackaged (such as cans of pop or M&Ms), alcoholic, "speciality" (i.e., requires more ingredients/is mixed/takes more steps), or has a price listed, it's not included.

Any drink considered "speciality" will have a charge. So smoothies will have an extra charge. On the regular dining menus, there are usually three cocktails listed at the top - 2 will be alcoholic, and one will not but all will have an additional charge. Speciality coffees (alcoholic and non-alcoholic such as Americano, latte, cappuccino) will have an extra charge but regular coffee is included in the restaurants and at the drink station on deck. The Cove Cafe (adult-only coffee bar near the adult-only pool) has speciality coffees; if you go there, you can get a frequent buyer card. After 5 speciality coffees (alcoholic or non-alcoholic), you get one (non-alcoholic) one free. If you're going on the Fantasy or Dream, I believe that this is also true of the Vista Cafe which is not adult-only although I'm not sure about the frequent buyer card as we only go to the Cove Cafe, but it will have speciality coffees. Both the Cove Cafe and Vista Cafe will also have snacks available during the day (usually sweet stuff until about 5 pm and then savory stuff like olives and cheese) which is no charge and you do not need to buy coffee to have some.

I think the only other "drink package" beyond the wine package is a beer mug which essentially gives you a discount by providing you with a taller drink for the price of a smaller one (i.e., 16 oz for 12 oz price - something like that. I don't drink beer much so I don't really know the amounts - it could be 20 oz for the 16 oz price) for the whole cruise.

Water and ice are also available at the drink station. I often just throw ice into my water bottle and fill up from any tap - it's from the same source. It's just easier to get ice from the station than to ask my room host to get it for me. You can buy water, but I don't personally feel it's necessary.

Note that there are also sometimes snacks available in some of the lounges that are included - usually there's a price listed if they are not. The soft serve ice cream, pizza, burgers, hot dogs, paninis, shwarma, tacos, sandwiches, fries, salads, and fruit are all included (what is offered varies between ship and specific cruises). Theatre snacks are an extra charge including the popcorn (packaged or fresh). But, basically, there's a ton of food and drink you can have without paying an additional charge unless you want to.

EDIT: and occasionally some of the lounges have snacks like tortilla chips and salsa, grapes and cheese, hot finger foods. Depends again on the ship, lounge, and specific cruise. I've also been given chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate caramels but that was largely because we kept going to one of the lounges, buying a number of drinks always from the same server, tipped well, chatted to her and she just brought them to us.

I think the only other "drink package" beyond the wine package is a beer mug which essentially gives you a discount by providing you with a taller drink for the price of a smaller one (i.e., 16 oz for 12 oz price - something like that. I don't drink beer much so I don't really know the amounts - it could be 20 oz for the 16 oz price) for the whole cruise.

There is also a drink of the day that works similar - you buy a larger one in a nice cup and you can get a larger pour for less price. Word of warning - if you want a clean cup, get a refill at the bars by the pool. I went inside and she reused my cup...yuck (I didn't realize they only gave new cups outside).

Minor addition to the whole potty-trained thing at kids' club, they allow diapered children into kids' clubs (for instance, some children remain diapered for much longer than usual due to a disability). It's just that the staff will not aid in toileting or diapering your child at all. When your child is at Oceaneer's age, it is your respoinsiblity to pick your child up at appropriate times and assist him or her in whatever way necessary before it becomes an issue for the crew members. And I assume (because I have no experience nor heard anything second hand) that it's possible if your child is having chronic accidents, he or she might not be welcome back at some point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter