Noob question about Port Canaveral

Moramoon

DIS Veteran
We decided to take an impromptu trip next week. Initially we were going to be staying in Cocoa Beach, but ended up with a hotel at Port Canaveral literally right next to the port. I've never looked into the cruises, but got super excited when I noticed the Dream and Fantasy dock here. Since we've never been before I was wondering are we able to walk around the dock even though we're not sailing? Also are their any shops that we could check out? Any other things that we should check out while we're there?

This picture shows the port area and some of the popular hotels ... you get an idea of layout and distances

A popular thing to do is to go one of the places in "The Cove" and watch the cruise ships depart ... this typically happens between 4 and 5 pm .... any of the popular rest's are fine ... I prefer Grills ... http://www.visitspacecoast.com/towns/port-canaveral/the-cove/

grills-seafood-30.jpg

or if a bar scene isn't your thing at the entrance to the port is Jetty Park ... here you can stand on the shore and almost touch the ships as they go by. About 1 mile east of Grills .... there are signs and a small admission fee. https://www.portcanaveral.com/Recreation/Jetty-Park-Beach-Pier

btw since you said 'next week' ... Coast Guard Cutter EAGLE will arrive for a visit on the 31st (Wed) and will be open for public tours each day she's here (terminal 3)

eagle.jpg

The public tour schedule is as follows:

May 31, 1pm – 4pm

June 1 10am-7pm

June 2 10am-4pm

June 3 10am-7pm

me at the top of the main mast ... summer 1975

there was a burned out light bulb that needed replacing ....

Last edited:

Try jetty park and look up cruise ship schedules for when they're sailing out, they go right past the park. Also, a chance to see dolphins and other wild life.

I wish I was going to be in Canaveral next week, the Eagle is amazing, I had the privilege to visit her about 10 years ago.

Obviously the Eagle is operational but I don't know to what extent she's been outfitted with modern technology, so what size crew does she require these days?

"A permanent crew of eight assigned officers and 50 assigned enlisted personnel maintain the ship year round. They provide a strong base of knowledge and seamanship for the training of up to 150 cadets or officer candidates at a time."

http://www.cga.edu/eagle/

EAGLE is 'modern' in terms of electronics with communications, radar and navigation systems comparable to operational Coast Guard Cutters. (In CG terms, EAGLE is not 'operational' in that they do not perform traditional Coast Guard Missions like law enforcement.) EAGLE has a modern engine for auxiliary propulsion, generators, fresh water production and sewage handling systems. There are winches to assist with sail handling used when being operated without 'cadet labor', but when in full training mode sail handling is done by hand.

There's a cool looking jetty at the end of the canal that I've always wanted to check out, would be cool to wave to the shipsfishlips jetty.jpg

that's the fishing pier at Jetty Park

note that there is an admission fee - $15 per car - to enter Jetty Park but this IS a cool place to watch the cruise ships leave .... no charge if you walk in ....

JPB.png

Last edited:
Is it worth checking out the Port Canaveral locks for something to do? I believe they have a public viewing area. I was hoping to see manatees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter