Non-eating 5 yo.

drewc

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We'll be heading down in a couple of weeks and we are taking advantage of the free dining. We purchased the plan last year and thought it worked really well.

Our 5 year old son is a very light eater. We rarely purchase a dinner for him when we go out to eat, he usually picks off our plates and shares with his older siblings. (Any time we get him a meal, it sits there largely untouched). Since he will be eating free, we could order a meal for him, but don't want food to go to waste. Can he simply continue to share with his brother and sister, and eat a few things off our plates, or will this require a credit (meaning we're wasting a credit)? I'm talking about a sit down, non-buffet of course (I know we need to use a credit for him at any buffet whether he eats or not).

I can't remember what we did with him last year. I think we mostly ate at buffets so it was a non-issue. I guess its not a big deal either way, but his hungrier older brother might want something extra somewhere, and his credit woudl be better spent on that human vacuum.

Thanks for any info you can share.

I think the best plan would be for you to ask at each restaurant as you sit down. I imagine most places won't have a problem with your children sharing, but ask anyway just so there aren't any surprises.

Have a great trip!

--H

Do you cut back on his snacks/treats so he is hungry for a proper meal? I don't know what you mean by non-eating 5 year old, the kid has to eat!!

You should be fine with sharing food with him at the non buffet or family style restaurants.

I understand what you mean with non eatting 5 yr old I have one thats 9 and been that way since she had to start feeding herself..lol I use to say its a stage now Im not sure.
Anyway, since your getting the plan for free I would go ahead and order his own meals and maybe get a doggy bag for his leftovers which he snack on in line or something. I say use the credits thats what they are there for. I mean what would be worse wasting the food or the credits? Thats your decision. :confused3
Heres to hoping our non eatting kids will soon be eatting healthier..lol ;)

Some days I wonder why I even bother coming here anymore.

The OP didn't ask for parenting advice on how to raise her child.

Why anyone would even think that was appropriate is beyond me.

Geeshy Peeshy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the OP: As of right now you shouldnt' have any problems. Just tell the CM that you are saving his credit for your buffet meals which are more expensive and that he will be sharing with you tonight.

Everyone was all in an uproar about sharing and no one yet has come back to say you can't.

WDWO

you will probably be just fine. I'd be careful how you word that saving credit for 'your' meal though lol especially her on dis. Anyway Just simply stating this is how many meals we are getting (nicely) should be all that's necessary...dont know what you plan on doing about the extra drink but you could even say something like the boys are sharing tonight so we will need another drink separate from the plan or whatever. We never had any problems with it we routinely ordered various combinations for the 4 of us - 2 a,1c or 2 a 2c or 1a, 2c or even 1a, 1c at TS's. I would just order say if we needed the extra drink and depending on if i thought we needed it ask for an extra plate for the sharers.(often we end up with several plates with the different sides ets. so I just split onto one of those) . I usually split my drink with one of the kids because I really dont like tap soft drinks and then i'd get a water (blech) too they dont drink much soda either. I didnt make an issue out of it and they didnt either.

Everyone else, thanks for the advice. Of course he eats, he just generally isn't worth buying a dinner for when we go out. We'll play it by ear.

As you have described it, it may or may not not be worth getting the Dining Plan. The Dining Plan is a great deal, but typically only if everyone in your party is going to make use of it. However, if it is only one child out of a party of two adults and two other children (as I gathered from your message), it might still be worth it even if you did use any of your 5 yo's Dining Plan credits. My wife and I will save $125 over five nights, so if we had a "non-eating 5 yo" with us, we'd pay $55 for the 5 yo, so still save $70 for the week, even if we counted on the 5 yo eating nothing all week. You'd just need to gauge how comfortable you'd feel "wasting" credits like that. The financial advantage you'd still have despite your situation might not be the only consideration for you.

There's nothing wrong with 2 kids sharing a plate. And as for having a 5y old non-eater, I went through the same. My 14y old was barely 20 pounds at age2, and had a small appetite. She usually still does. She rarely has more than a glass of calcium fortified OJ for breakfast. On occaision, she shocks us all by ordering a meal and a cup of soup and actually finishes most of both. Sometimes, she just wants the soup, and a couple of bites of what me or her father was eating. I dont think there is anything wrong with a family sharing food (JMHO) :)

I have a 4 year old that DH and I were talking about earlier tonight because we were surprised when he ate an entire ear of corn. He was done at that point, but he ate the entire ear!! We have quite a few buffets planned so we will be using his credits for those and another dinner where I figure he would eat a little off the appetizer, dinner, and dessert menu. The remaining meals we figure on paying for him and using the credits elsewhere.

Drewc- so sorry you had to get a lecture on child's eating- how quickly people want to make it that your child has a "problem" - most young children don't eat that much and often go through different stages of how much they-then again I am sure you can raise your own child and already know this

OP - beth_cam said it best. You shouldn't have any problems. BTW, We also have a 5 year old. No lectures here. Hope you have a great time.

bicker - Did you read that the OP is "taking advantage of the free dining"? The dining plan is FREE. The question was regarding sharing not whether or not the DDP is a "fit" for the family.

I guess I live in a shell, because I am always amazed at what I read on here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG, I (me? me? seriously me?) have been edited by a mod. I felt like I was nice. I didn't think those were "personal attacks". At first I felt like I should rewrite what I previously wrote but in an even nicer form. However, I don't see the point because littleladykaty was edited as well. For future reference, when a person asks a question regarding sharing I don't think that they are requesting a lengthy lecture on parenting. Although, IMO I still feel that Cass is insinuating something negative regarding the OP feeding their child. Oh, well. I guess it is just me. :confused3

I believe you misread my message. My point was that the OP needs to just come to terms with wasting credits like that. Even though they "shouldn't have any problems", none of us can guarantee that everything will be alright since folks have already relayed that on occasions Disney has enforced things on guests that we didn't expect them to.

I wanted to reply here as I do know this whole dining plan can be such a "hot issue" with sharing food and transferring points etc..

The Restaurant Board Mods are in agreement here that personal attacks or rude remarks will not be tolerated and ask your help as posters on the Restaurant Board to make sure that when you respond to a post you think before responding.....maybe reference the guidelines to make sure you are not over the line.

Some posts here have been edited as the mods felt they were rude remarks or personal attacks and we hope you understand that we are trying to keep the thread open for information rather than just locking it as being over the line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter