Votes: 3 14.3%
  • California Grill

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Other (please comment w/suggestion)

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

jolynne28

Mouseketeer
Trying to stay close to MK, staying at the Fort, no kids for the night, and we will stop by Trader Sam's and somewhere else for an app/drink beforehand, then head to the park for EMH.

We are close to NOLA, and have had some incredible meals there in the past. Commander's Palace brunch, MiLa, Domenica, Brennan's all come to mind. The amuse-bouche we were offered at MiLa was basically the best thing we've ever put in our mouths. Sad they are no longer open.

ETA I feel stupid for not putting NOLA in all caps, clearly I’m not a true New Orleanian!

Last edited:
Also from NOLA and have eaten at your WDW choices as well as your NOLA choices except Mila. We like California Grill better than your other WDW choices. It's been our go to restaurant to celebrate milestones. We have skipped it the last several years. Doesn't seem worth the price to us anymore.
We have never opted for the dining plan but if you are doing it, i would pick Cali grill over the other signatures.

Never heard the term NOLA before today, never eaten at MiLa, Domenica or Brennan's but we have eaten a couple of times at California Grill so it got my vote. :)

Not from Nola but visit often and have been to all those restaurants :)
I would say California Grill unless you really want lobster in which case I would choose Narcoosees.

Disney doesn't have any restaurants that compare favorably to legitimately great restaurants in real food cities. If you're expecting that, you'll be disappointed. If you are expecting pretty good and occasionally very good theme park / resort dining, then you'll be happy. Agree Cali Grill is better than those you listed. Flying Fish also good (slow service though).

New Orleans resident. I even live within walking distance of Commander’s.

I’ve eaten at all the restaurants you listed. They are good, but none of them compare to New Orleans’ finest. And they all cost 50-100% more.

I would pick Jiko. The food is very good, and it does have food and especially wine that you would probably not find in New Orleans.

When I was a kid, my family vacationed in New Orleans the way that I vacation at WDW now. My dad was from NOLA and we'd go for two weeks at a time, every summer. Since I've lived through a NOLA hurricane and I've also drunk one, I figured I'd chime in. I'd recommend Narcoossee's. We just ate there in May and it was really good. The steamed lobster was perfection.

Another option might be to pop into a lounge on the monorail line or do your own version of a monorail crawl.

Cannot agree more with this post.

New Orleans has dozens of restaurants that are better than the absolute best I've ever had at Disney.

Ok you and Freshmanjs said what I was suspecting all along and what I needed to hear. I do love lobster, so maybe Narcoossee's just for that reason.

We have this same issue when we try a new recipe. People will rave about it, we'll try it, and immediately be disappointed and wonder why so many people think it's so delicious. Thinks are never bad, just often 'meh' for us.

arminnie, we did Jiko 8 years ago. Unfortunately DH got sick that night and ended up at Urgent Care, so there's no coming back from that.

Disney doesn't have any restaurants that compare favorably to legitimately great restaurants in real food cities. If you're expecting that, you'll be disappointed. If you are expecting pretty good and occasionally very good theme park / resort dining, then you'll be happy. Agree Cali Grill is better than those you listed. Flying Fish also good (slow service though).

Umm... Victoria & Albert's? Having eaten at several of these NOLA places and at other great resturants I would rank this one right up there.

Umm... Victoria & Albert's? Having eaten at several of these NOLA places and at other great resturants I would rank this one right up there.

I don’t think any of us were including V&A in the comparisons, it seems to be in a class all by itself. For this trip, I can’t justify the cost. But it’s on my bucket list of places to try!

We had DxDDP when we went to Narcoossee's and it was a lot of food. If you're planning to get the amazing almond crusted cheesecake, I'd recommend that you skip the apps. The corn soufflé with the lobster is also super yummy and worth saving room for.

Umm... True, V&A's is good (although I don't think it touches Restaurant R'evolution). In an apples to apples comparison, though, it's not nearly as good as places like Le Bernardin or Eleven Madison Park or Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

Born and raised in south east LA here! As some others have mentioned, you can't really compare WDW restaurants to NOLA (or many other cities) or you'll be disappointed. My vote is for CA Grill- it's a beautiful restaurant and you should have an enjoyable meal there.

Honestly, freshmanjs post re: adjusting expectations when dining at WDW is so on point (same could be said of the Disney hotels) that to me it simply comes down to ambiance. What atmosphere appeals? What have you all been wanting to try?

I voted for Narcossees. Mainly because it is the signature my DH and I are going to try in December when we go, so that gets my vote! I have been to Cali Grill (disappointed) and V&A's (meh) and not to sound like a snob/jerk or whatnot, but I blame my lack of enthusiasm on being fortunate to eat at some of the best restaurants on the planet, including one in the French Quarter that will forever be my all time favorite. (Gone now.) Brennans doesn't even make it into my top 20, BTW

But we love Disney, and Disney is what it is. For us, what charms us while there is not the fine dining or exquisite hotels, but the family atmosphere and nostalgia. As far as the signatures go, sometimes I think why bother? But, ultimately, my DH and I will ditch the kids and grandkids for one night to hold hands across the table and reconnect in the midst of the typical family vacation hub bub, so as long as the atmosphere is pleasant, and the food and service at least a *little* above average, we will be happy.

Citricos has that lounge where you all could listen to the piano/band. That is always nice.

mkla2015, I was raised in southern California, so when you posted you were "born and raised in south east LA" I was wondering what someone from there knew about fine dining...I mean...I was thinking south east Los Angeles is not exactly the hot bed of haute cuisine...oooohhh, south east LOUISIANA....duh, me! lol

Thank you for making this comparison. In reading all of the ink spilled over V&A, I kept wondering: "but how does it compare to Eleven Madison Park?" I also found a blog entry where someone put it ahead of Per Se, which I really had trouble believing, especially after celebrating our engagement there.

Umm... True, V&A's is good (although I don't think it touches Restaurant R'evolution). In an apples to apples comparison, though, it's not nearly as good as places like Le Bernardin or Eleven Madison Park or Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

We're NOLA born & raised. I've eaten at all of the WDW restaurants that you listed and I wasn't wow-ed by our meals at any of them. (I was also really, really disappointed in the lobster at Narcoossee's.) For atmosphere, I liked the firework views at Narcoossee's & Cali Grill. My real vote is to abandon all of those & do a fireworks cruise with add-ons from the room service at Poly. It was one of my favorite memories EVER and we were able to order delicious desserts, snacks, and bottles of wine through room service. OR do the monorail Highway in the Sky Progressive dinner- then, you can enjoy a few treats from each resort and an amazing view of the fireworks. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/highway-in-the-sky-dine-around/
Best wishes for a great trip!
(P.S. We loved MiLa, too! It was my DH's favorite restaurant!)

I think it all boils down to you don't eat at WDW restaurants for the food. You eat there for the atmosphere or you are just plain hungry. New Orleans you dine. WDW you just dig in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter