No Wonder They Were Thinking About Selling.

Not too long ago, it was reported on various threads that Disney was thinking about, and maybe even pursuing, the possibility of selling the parks to outside interests. It would have worked like Tokyo and others where the name stayed and certain obligation and standard had to be maintained, but the everyday operation of the parks would be someone else's.

I have been on alternating threads for about 10 years now and I have seen the questions (and answers) go from upbeat, what's best to see or do, etc. to a lot more...How do I beat the system type posts. How do I beat parking fees. How do I get front of the line access. How much do you think Disney owes me because I was sick while I was there and didn't have a good time.

I only bring this up because I was wondering what others thought about this. Is it just me or is society becoming so much me, me, me that it is starting to struggle to survive?

Even though the Parks are a cash cow, the pain in the butt factor must be aggravating to say the least.

"I know my kid looks like he's 12 and has a tattoo but he's only 2...free admission please". "I got this mug 10 years ago and a CM told me that it was good for free soda forever, you can't change the policy on me...I've got $2.00 invested in this". "Fastpasses have been allowed to go beyond the stated and intended window and if they ever decide to enforce that...I'm going to raise such a stink. What kind of customer service is that".

I know it makes for some interesting reading sometimes, but I think it is sad how much time is spent on trying to creatively "get away" with something, then how to make the present systems work for you in a positive way. Any thoughts on this? :confused3

In general, yes I agree. It's a sad situation that so many focus on trying to game the system.

But I don't really feel sorry for Disney. They make $billions and don't need our sympathy. It's like any other business, you have to love what you do for the sake of doing it. If you let the bad apples ruin it for you, you should probably find another line of work.

I flunk communication today. :headache: Really didn't mean to insult you. People speak really kindly around here. They aren't necessarily nicer, but more polite (and unfortunately probably fake half the time) than many places, so things that would be very neutral in most circles sound mean by comparison. Does that make sense? If it sounds mean I'm still not getting it out right.

I suck at using words, will go back to lurking more now.

Hey, no problem at all. As I said, I don't believe you meant for that to sound bad...:)

I know what you mean about sometimes being fake. While people may pour on the politeness because of other social reasons, when there's no social (direct interaction) pressure to stay uber-polite, like on a message board, you can come directly to the point and ask people straight out to explain themselves. Unlike when you're at Thanksgiving diner and someone says something off the wall that you really want to ask them about.....but realize it's best just to let it go for the sake of finishing the turkey!;)

I happen to agree with the OP. I do however think that Disney is out of touch with the middle class people. If I remember correctly didn't Walt say that he wanted an affordable place where people could have fun with their kids?:confused3 I am lucky enough to be able to afford the trip. Our children have friends that are not so lucky.

I am currently looking to book a trip in November for my family and my parents. My parents have not been to Disney in at least 15 years. My mom is floored with how expensive and how much planning there is. I read these posts and try to get the most for my money like anyone else. I do think that families that go often to Disney should be rewarded somehow. :laundy:

I happen to agree with the OP. I do however think that Disney is out of touch with the middle class people. If I remember correctly didn't Walt say that he wanted an affordable place where people could have fun with their kids?:confused3 I am lucky enough to be able to afford the trip. Our children have friends that are not so lucky.

I am currently looking to book a trip in November for my family and my parents. My parents have not been to Disney in at least 15 years. My mom is floored with how expensive and how much planning there is. I read these posts and try to get the most for my money like anyone else. I do think that families that go often to Disney should be rewarded somehow. :laundy:

VERY TRUE!
While we can afford it I don't see how many people still can. I think the flight prices bother me more than anything.

I just wonder how many people really do try to game the system. I think that it's possible that those people are few and just stand out. At least I hope so.

I can't see comparing a bankruptcy to a trip to WDW. Apples and oranges IMO.

I do however think that Disney is out of touch with the middle class people.
Completely disagree. First, the term "middle class people" is undefined. Who is middle class in your opinion?
But, second, over the years, Disney has continued to open more and more hotels that are, well, lower level than the original hotels that they started with. The contemporary was Disney's original Hotel, designed as an exclusive looking and feeling place, with pricing to match. But their most recent hotels are the cheaper ones....Pops, all-stars, etc....basically Disney was opening up their arms to those who couldn't afford Port Orleans (which isn't exactly a Hyatt Regency to begin with).

And third, when the economy went bad in 2008, Disney came up with methods to keep people coming, including free dining packages, free hotel nights, etc. They've lowered the bar quite a bit, and as a result have pretty much killed Disney Dining....as it's all dumbed down to meet the dining plan.

If I remember correctly didn't Walt say that he wanted an affordable place where people could have fun with their kids?:confused3 :
he may have said something like that. But he was a dreamer, and not all dreams come true. Business is business.

My parents have not been to Disney in at least 15 years. My mom is floored with how expensive and how much planning there is. I read these posts and try to get the most for my money like anyone else. I do think that families that go often to Disney should be rewarded somehow. :laundy:
Well, if your parents haven't been to Disney in 15 years....of course it will seem more expensive. I'm not sure how that would relate to any middle class issues.

Disney does have a reward program for people who go often. It's called Disney Vacation Club.

If folks cant afford Disney, and still want to go, I feel bad that they can't get something they want. There are things I want but can't really afford. But Disney is not an entitlement, it's a high quality reward for acquiring a certain amount of money and then spending it with them. Just like buying a Mercedes. I can't afford one of those, but don't feel Mercedes should lower their price (and thus quality) to help out the middle class. (aka, lower their price just for me).

... Disney does have a reward program for people who go often. It's called Disney Vacation Club. ...

Gotta take issue here. There is no reward program for frequent fliers, other, other than greater knowledge of the parks and a much more laid-back attitude than most other visitors are willing to adopt. (If you're only in WDW for 5 days, and it may well be your only trip ever AND YOU KNOW IT, it's tough to adopt the "next time" attitude.)

DVC isn't a reward. It's for people who buy into DVC, the same as Disney tickets are for people who buy Disney tickets and Mickey Bars are for people who buy Mickey Bars. Not a reward, but a product.

Gotta take issue here. There is no reward program for frequent fliers, other, other than greater knowledge of the parks and a much more laid-back attitude than most other visitors are willing to adopt. (If you're only in WDW for 5 days, and it may well be your only trip ever AND YOU KNOW IT, it's tough to adopt the "next time" attitude.)

DVC isn't a reward. It's for people who buy into DVC, the same as Disney tickets are for people who buy Disney tickets and Mickey Bars are for people who buy Mickey Bars. Not a reward, but a product.
Yes, there's no "slightly sarcastic" font, so it was difficult for that to be communicated as such. :) DVC is not directly a reward program, *you have to spend money on something up front to see it's benefits) however it is a way that people who go often can take advantage of a program that lowers the overall long term cost compared to paying cash over the same time period.

Disney simply doesn't need to offer any sort of reward program....also known as loyalty programs. Because, unlike airlines or office supply stores, there are really few (if any) real competitors that would compel Disney to put a loyalty program in place. People will go anyway. But if you are in DVC, and make a commitment to Disney, you can see the benefits in the long term. That's basically the closest thing they've got.

Hokay. We've GOT to get a font that everyone agrees can be used for our slightly sarcastic posts!

Sitting here in central Texas, DVC is just an impossible dream. :sad1:

Did you people really buy this rumor? Did you really think Disney was selling the parks? Seriously?

It was a LIE!!! It was a FABRICATED rumor. They were NEVER thinking of selling. It was created by two "Insiders" who have a bone to pick with Disney. I read where the "rumor" was posted and it didn't make any kind of sense at all. 80% was just the guy rambling about how bad capitalism is. Oh and the guys friend "confirmed" this by checking with a cm at the front desk of hotel, because after all, those front desk cm's can give you honest information. As opposed to bus drivers, ride ops, sweeps or any other cm. It was so amusing to watch them try to keep their rumor alive as it started to fall apart. "Oh a Saudi Prince is going to buy the parks." "Oh wait now Chinese business men are going to buy the parks." Maybe it's that they weren't going to sell the parks at all and you made all of that stuff up. :rolleyes1

In regards to your post, people have become entitled. They think that they are owed something when they really arent. Just my 0.02.

Did you people really buy this rumor? Did you really think Disney was selling the parks? Seriously?

It was a LIE!!! It was a FABRICATED rumor. They were NEVER thinking of selling. It was created by two "Insiders" who have a bone to pick with Disney. I read where the "rumor" was posted and it didn't make any kind of sense at all. 80% was just the guy rambling about how bad capitalism is. Oh and the guys friend "confirmed" this by checking with a cm at the front desk of hotel, because after all, those front desk cm's can give you honest information. As opposed to bus drivers, ride ops, sweeps or any other cm. It was so amusing to watch them try to keep their rumor alive as it started to fall apart. "Oh a Saudi Prince is going to buy the parks." "Oh wait now Chinese business men are going to buy the parks." Maybe it's that they weren't going to sell the parks at all and you made all of that stuff up. :rolleyes1

In regards to your post, people have become entitled. They think that they are owed something when they really arent. Just my 0.02.

No kidding!;)

I know I was the one that started this thread and it was based on the "rumor" that, at one point, Disney was thinking about selling. I don't know if it was true any more than anyone, other than top level, knows that it is not true. I think that numbers wise...it is possible.

I'm not an accountant for Disney, but it seems to me that the vast majority of the expense originally associated with establishing WDW has long since been depreciated out of existence leaving them with a greatly diminished protection from massive taxation. Therefore, the idea that they could use the money to invest in something that could be used to shelter themselves from some of that would be "coldly" doable.

I suspect that the asking price would be equal to the national worth of most countries in the world, and that would make it pretty hard to justify considering that on top of that real property cost...franchise fees would be mind boggling and real control would still remain with Disney. That makes it a pretty hard sell considering any potential buyer would need to see where the profit is coming from.

I was just saying that I think it is possible, but not real probable.

Originally Posted by jgualario View Post
I happen to agree with the OP. I do however think that Disney is out of touch with the middle class people. If I remember correctly didn't Walt say that he wanted an affordable place where people could have fun with their kids? I am lucky enough to be able to afford the trip. Our children have friends that are not so lucky.

I am currently looking to book a trip in November for my family and my parents. My parents have not been to Disney in at least 15 years. My mom is floored with how expensive and how much planning there is. I read these posts and try to get the most for my money like anyone else. I do think that families that go often to Disney should be rewarded somehow.

Although the vast part of the Walt Disney quote was correct, I believe the "affordable place" was put in the by you and never was said by Mr. Disney. Judging from the crowds at the Disney Parks I would have to say that they must still be affordable to a lot of people.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!