No Wonder They Were Thinking About Selling.

goofyernmost

Aged to Perfection
Not too long ago, it was reported on various threads that Disney was thinking about, and maybe even pursuing, the possibility of selling the parks to outside interests. It would have worked like Tokyo and others where the name stayed and certain obligation and standard had to be maintained, but the everyday operation of the parks would be someone else's.

I have been on alternating threads for about 10 years now and I have seen the questions (and answers) go from upbeat, what's best to see or do, etc. to a lot more...How do I beat the system type posts. How do I beat parking fees. How do I get front of the line access. How much do you think Disney owes me because I was sick while I was there and didn't have a good time.

I only bring this up because I was wondering what others thought about this. Is it just me or is society becoming so much me, me, me that it is starting to struggle to survive?

Even though the Parks are a cash cow, the pain in the butt factor must be aggravating to say the least.

"I know my kid looks like he's 12 and has a tattoo but he's only 2...free admission please". "I got this mug 10 years ago and a CM told me that it was good for free soda forever, you can't change the policy on me...I've got $2.00 invested in this". "Fastpasses have been allowed to go beyond the stated and intended window and if they ever decide to enforce that...I'm going to raise such a stink. What kind of customer service is that".

I know it makes for some interesting reading sometimes, but I think it is sad how much time is spent on trying to creatively "get away" with something, then how to make the present systems work for you in a positive way. Any thoughts on this? :confused3

It's not just you.

I can see this thread becoming nasty. I am going to squat like a parade spot vulture and watch the carnage.

I happen to agree with you. We went Christmas week and everyone told us we were nuts. Guess what? We had a great time because we went with a positive attitude.

This will probably turn ugly.

I don't know if they would sell just because cutomers are pains in the butt. I'm sure people complained even 40 years ago...there just wasn't the internet so their grievences were not known to thousands of other people. I think that of all the people that come here to gripe, only a small percentage of them would actually write letters or go out of their way to make a formal complaint directly to Disney. They do it here because it's easy and anonymous. Just my opinion.

I think, though, that it's something every business owner has to deal with if they are dealing with the public. I don't think that it has gotten any worse than before...but stories of these natures are more accessible to the general public with the internet and forums and such. Scam artists and the like have been around for a VERY long time.
I do agree that the parks are a cash cow and because of that the Disney corp will keep them and figure these types of people as just part of doing business...just like any other business.
And yes, this thread has great potential to get ugly. Good luck.

I was born and grew up in Florida, about an hour away from the Magic Kingdom. As you can imagine, I have been there about eleventy billion times on day trips as a kid. As an adult with a family who no longer lives in FL, I do love being able to pick others' minds about where to stay on-site and how to make the best of your time there. I have nothing against people who want to plan out every little detail, because, well, it costs a lot of money to vacation at WDW and people want to get the most bang for their buck - I truly understand that.

With that said, I agree with you. :hippie:

I think things like you mention have happened since the beginning of time. The internet just didn't exist for it to be talked about as widely as it is now.

I do love being able to pick others' minds about where to stay on-site and how to make the best of your time there. I have nothing against people who want to plan out every little detail, because, well, it costs a lot of money to vacation at WDW and people want to get the most bang for their buck - I truly understand that. :hippie:

What you are referring to is absolutely correct. Those are not efforts to bypass the system for personal gain. Those are questions that are just trying to make the best of the adventure and stay within the system. Although I am not a planner and never will be, I think that many people do enjoy that process and therefore it is part of the fun that they get from a Disney Park experience. It isn't how to beat the system, it's about how to make the most of it within the system.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I hope it doesn't get nasty, I am not attempting to put down anyone that stays with the rules. Rules are there for a reason and that is to make it an equally enjoyable experience for everyone. It's the rules by-passers that I see as a problem. I used Fastpass as an example, but this is where the thing gets a little confusing. Disney originally made the rule that Fastpasses were to be used within the window stated. Publicly that is still the rule. Over time, they relaxed the enforcement of it and allowed, by internal policy, them to be used anytime after the window opening. It became a fairly well known allowance and is taken advantage of by many...I am one. That said, you will not hear me complain because they are planning to go back to enforcement. Obviously, it was causing problems, bottlenecks and subsequent longer standby lines. They, it appears, have decided to go back to the original plan because it was now creating more problems then it was solving.

I'm speaking of those that are now angry because Disney is asking them to do what was originally intended. It's a problem that as a person that worked in management for a long time, would find to be annoying at best. I just think that when people state that they are looking for a way to not pay the parking fee's because money is short, really should be considering if a trip of this magnitude is a wise choice right now...not how do I get out of paying it.

I don't think Disney would sell the parks because of that, they just hire people to deal with the disgruntled!

I do think that in general, not just at WDW, people are feeling more entitled and have shorter attention spans. It's all about instant gratification.

It's actually very sad, because I think these people are missing out on a lot in their quest to have everything go exactly how they want it, when they want it!

This in an internet message board, most people that go to Disney don't worry about using refillable mugs, getting free parking, how to get a free buffet at a fixings bar and all the other strange threads that you see occasionally. Also, I wouldn't judge the decline of civilization on what you read on here.

Don't feel too sorry for Disney, check out their annual earnings report. While I'm sure they don't like people scamming the system in small ways, I don't think it's going to cause their bankruptcy.

I agree with your premise but do we need another FP thread?

People in general are oblivious to everyone around them. Go to the grocery store and watch interactions between people. It is horrible. lol

I agree with your first post. And I believe it IS getting worse. Not just on these boards, but in everyday life. People's attitudes are often, what's in it for me? How can I get what's due me? That sort of thing. But, having said that, I love that there are a lot of wonderful people here on the Dis, helping people, sharing their joys and sorrows, asking for and receiving advise. It's still a great place to spend some fun time. I, too, hope this doesn't get ugly. Thanks for the insight.

I agree with your premise but do we need another FP thread?

People in general are oblivious to everyone around them. Go to the grocery store and watch interactions between people. It is horrible. lol

I think the FP policy is just one of the things OP is talking about.

I've seen it too. In the past couple of years threads have gone from asking people what not to miss or what the best strategy was to see the parks to complaining and whining. This week it's the FP policy, which honestly is only enforcing it's original intent. A month or so ago it was avoiding parking fees. It was complaining that everyone got a park hopper for a day while the President went to MK while some people had already paid for it.

There have always been people asking about reusable cups, pool hopping, front of the line, etc., but it's almost becoming constant. People started complaining that they got no "pixie dust" while they were there or that the towel animals weren't up to par. :snooty: It's like people are looking for reasons to be miserable.

I think the economy has been part of it. Median income has dropped for the first time in a very, very long time (pretty much since WDW opened its doors) and the cost of a Disney vacation continued to rise. There were many people who were used to Disney vacations every year or two who suddenly couldn't feed their "fix". Add it all up and you had a lot more people who needed to cut vacation costs and get as much "value" out of it as possible. That meant cutting back on days (and trying to make the trip more efficient), moving offsite, or cutting back onsite meals.

I don't think Disney will sell the parks over it. Heck, they are as busy as ever. It just doesn't reflect well on the people complaining/cheating.

I believe most of the online personas you meet are not the people you would meet in real life.

I don't think most of the people that say "You're a horrible person for even considering using last years mug" would say one word to someone they saw using a mug from 10 years ago.

I don't think most of the people that say "Goofy stepped on my sons foot and they didn't even give me a Fast Pass" even approached anyone about the incident when it happened.

The anonymity of the internet and the safety of one's computer desk make it very easy for people to say things they wouldn't otherwise say. I'm no exception so that's not a slight against any one.

So I don't think any of these things have anything to do with the possibility of Disney selling the parks.

It is all just a reflection of our times. People behaving badly. I'm pretty sure that Disney accounts for the scamming in their price structure so that they remain profitable. People have such high expectations of a superior vacation experience from Disney based on all the hype they've been exposed to, that they expect more than what is reasonable from an amusement park.

I worked in customer service type jobs most of my life. I know how difficult it is to please customers.:eek: I can't imagine working in customer relations for Disney. It must be a nightmare!:headache:

Not too long ago, it was reported on various threads that Disney was thinking about, and maybe even pursuing, the possibility of selling the parks to outside interests. It would have worked like Tokyo and others where the name stayed and certain obligation and standard had to be maintained, but the everyday operation of the parks would be someone else's.

I have been on alternating threads for about 10 years now and I have seen the questions (and answers) go from upbeat, what's best to see or do, etc. to a lot more...How do I beat the system type posts. How do I beat parking fees. How do I get front of the line access. How much do you think Disney owes me because I was sick while I was there and didn't have a good time.

I only bring this up because I was wondering what others thought about this. Is it just me or is society becoming so much me, me, me that it is starting to struggle to survive?

Even though the Parks are a cash cow, the pain in the butt factor must be aggravating to say the least.

"I know my kid looks like he's 12 and has a tattoo but he's only 2...free admission please". "I got this mug 10 years ago and a CM told me that it was good for free soda forever, you can't change the policy on me...I've got $2.00 invested in this". "Fastpasses have been allowed to go beyond the stated and intended window and if they ever decide to enforce that...I'm going to raise such a stink. What kind of customer service is that".

I know it makes for some interesting reading sometimes, but I think it is sad how much time is spent on trying to creatively "get away" with something, then how to make the present systems work for you in a positive way. Any thoughts on this? :confused3
I think that the "entitled" stuff happens far FAR less than is indicated by this thread and that it has always been a part of civilization. There have always been those people who thought they deserved more than others, and there have always been those folks who were quick to smell "lawsuit" and eager to create a "scene" in order to get something for free. So has it been, so shall it always be.

It's human nature to comment more on the folks you think are doing wrong than to commend the folks who appear to be doing right. It's why you can spend 12 days at Disney, meeting hundreds of fabulous Guests and CMs, only to come back and complain about the three surly CMs you saw or the one family you met who were bragging about how they got free FPs because they taught their kid to cry on cue. Face it, it's not as much fun to talk about all the stuff that didn't go wrong. Much more fun to harp on the one rude guy who pushed your kid out of his parade spot.

The problem, though, is also posts like yours, where you wonder aloud how the world has gotten to this sorry state. Yet, if you read through the titles of posts on this board, they are overwhelmingly positive and friendly and not at all skewed to the negative. But again ... much more interesting to talk about all those entitled people than to ignore them and talk about everything else.

It really depends on YOUR outlook. If you're looking for the good in people, you'll see it everywhere. If you're looking for the bad in people, you'll find that too. My suggestion? Stop worrying about the bad in people and focus on the good. You'll see a whole lot of it and be much happier in the end.

And, for the record, I don't think the "pain in the butt"-ness of running theme parks had anything at all to do with Disney's brief consideration of selling. It was a monetary decision, pure and simple.

:earsboy:

I can't help but agree with the OP, at least on the front of the "me, me, me" talk. With that being said though, I think the % of people in that zone is pretty low, BUT it is increasing.

One problem with the whole me, me, me, is forums like these. NOT saying the DIS or any other forums are the direct cause, but pre-internet/forums, no one would would discuss how to "beat the system" or however you wish to call it, over a cup of coffee at the local coffee shop. It's the internet, so it's pretty much anonymous and people say what they want without repercussion (most of the time). It all starts with one post and then spirals from there.......

"I found a way to get a free thingamabob @ MK, read this" Next thing you know, 1000 people are trying for it, Disney is starting to pick up on it, stop it completely and the the backlash threads start.... "OMG Disney stopped giving out free thingamabobs @ MK, what am I going to do now!"

Change is the one thing that strikes fear into a lot people. Everyone knows this, it really is no mystery. We all get into a groove with the systems we have in place, and when someone changes something that disrupts that flow or normalcy, some people go with it, others complain. Fastpass is a prime example, but I won't go there as there are plenty of threads on that already.

On the flip side, forums like these do in fact help many of us enjoy our trip better because there are a lot of people posting on how the system in place can help in a positive way. All over here there are tons helpful threads. We the people mostly just notice the negative ones. It's natural in the society we live in today. What gets more attention watching the news? Some dramatic negative thing, or a positive outcome? I bet you soup to nuts, they will open the news cast with the negative things first.

I personally don't believe Disney would sell anything, anytime soon, over something like this.

OP- I agree with much of what you say about society trying to get away with stuff, and complaining about things that really make them seem entitled. Threads on this board include complaints about...

how much money the CEO makes compared to the guy picking up trash,

or how it's "not fair" that greedy Disney raised their price,

or how it's tough that Fast Pass is actually going to enforce their rules,

or how Disney dining reservations are getting tough because of abusers to the system.

or, my favorite, my kid cried because the character got sick, and I couldn't control my kid's fit of outrage....so that's Disney's fault...they ruined my vacation and I demand more from Disney.

But I don't think Disney would consider selling parks just because of these issues. That goes with the territory and they're good at handling it for the most part (although lack of training is starting to show a bit).

While the internet and it's ability for people to share information has given an advantage to those who want to squeeze every bit of "value" out of the experience, what Disney may have to deal with pales in comparison to other businesses like banks, and retail stores, etc. You'd laugh at the ridiculous levels of entitlement people have, who overdraw their bank account, then come into a bank every week to complain about something they did to themselves.

All in all, while the internet amplifies the actual levels of entitlement people exhibit, I believe society has drifted toward being a little more entitled. As we move farther and farther away from the last major united effort (say, WWII) people forget the larger picture. It's not wrong to have high expectations and demands, they just need to be realistic and thankful for what they have and don't sweat the small stuff.

Believe me, this isn't just anonymous people on message boards, even some people in my own family exhibit this behavior, complaining that the satellite repair company will take 36 hours to come and fix their source for watching Dr. Phil....as if they are without water or something. Makes for fun family gatherings....:)

I work at a hotel in MI , and although its not a huge resort like Disney I too have to deal with alot of the same issues that Disney does, there are always people out there wanting things for free and picking apart the little things so they can get a free room or a really low rate. I am a traveler too so I am always out to get the best deal but I also understand what it takes financially to keep just one room going in a hotel and then times that by 75 (in our case).

I go to Disney with a positive attitude and understand that not every minute of every day I will run into or deal with a happy employee. we are all human and we all have days. But if I was to let every bad mood ruin what I have worked for i should not even be there... I just wish more people would spend more time on making memories with their family then trying to figure out how to beat the system.

OP- Threads on this board include complaints about...

how much money the CEO makes compared to the guy picking up trash,

or how it's "not fair" that greedy Disney raised their price,

or how it's tough that Fast Pass is actually going to enforce their rules,

or how Disney dining reservations are getting tough because of abusers to the system.

or, my favorite, my kid cried because the character got sick, and I couldn't control my kid's fit of outrage....so that's Disney's fault...they ruined my vacation and I demand more from Disney.

[

I believe this is referred to as "First World Problems". Definitely helpful to keep some persepective, but I like to think it's a vocal minority and not systemic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter