"No, We're Not Getting Married at Disney!" a 2018 tripS report - update 10/25 AKL food + DHS Day

You all looked lovely for your night out at Disney Springs and dinner at Homecoming! The food sounds delicious, and I can't believe how much food you get from the restaurant.

Hooray for your upcoming Disney trip! It's just a few days away, that's so exciting! Hope you have a great time and the offsite resort works out well.

so I was delighted to order:

1dukrvdl.png

Bee Haven Fried Green Tomatoes ($14) Shaved ham, rémoulade sauce and dressed local greens. These are some of the best fried green tomatoes I've ever had, always sliced perfectly thin and fried crisp. Tender and tangy in the center, balanced with the rich and succulent ham and creamy remoulade sauce.

Ooooohhhh…I'll have to try those. I've only ever had FGTs on a sandwich. Those look yummy!

After digging in on the idea that we'd go a year without Food and Wine Festival, my beloved husband suggested we book a trip over his school system's fall break. We are supposed to be saving money for Hawaii, so this is going to have to be a very budget-conscious trip. (But like, best husband ever, amirite? :love:)

::yes::

Awesome! I just wish you were going a week later! Have fun!

In case anyone's interested or also traveling at the same time, here are our vague plans:

OMG!!! Melinda! I will be there!!!! We have to totally find a way to meet up!!!! It would be so great to say hi before the Epic Girl's Trip!!!
We arrive on Sunday. We aren't doing any parks, but are going to be spending time at a few resorts and DS.
Monday, we are attending MNSSHP, but will be hanging at our resort POR most of the day...
Message me if you'd like to try to work something out!!!!:love:

OMG!!! Melinda! I will be there!!!! We have to totally find a way to meet up!!!! It would be so great to say hi before the Epic Girl's Trip!!!
We arrive on Sunday. We aren't doing any parks, but are going to be spending time at a few resorts and DS.
Monday, we are attending MNSSHP, but will be hanging at our resort POR most of the day...
Message me if you'd like to try to work something out!!!!:love:

I knew this but didn't want to intrude on Gia time!!! I will re-read your plans and message you :thumbsup2

I love this thread so much. You just always look like you're having fun, no matter who you're with. :flower:

Do people tell you that you look like Reese Witherspoon? You could be sisters!

Yum, this was the stuff I got on my biscuit during brunch! It's basically the fried green tomatoes with a biscuit and an egg on top. Can't go wrong :)
We had them as an appetizer at brunch too last month :cloud9: they are seriously my favorite thing.

I gotta start updating faster so that I can stay ahead of my trips :charac2: best problem EVER to have... hahaha
That is so sweet. This has happened to me before (most recently 3 weeks ago!) and it really astounds me as to what a small world it is, and how people really do pay attention to the things you write!! It really is an awesome feeling and very much well-deserved for you!!
It was so unexpected and just the nicest thing. She was so sweet too! I would be too much of a chicken to approach someone. I've seen Tom Bricker and Mark Willard at WDW at different times and was too much of a chicken to say hi to either one of them though I did stage whisper to my companions and out myself as a fangirl. I saw Craig, Oliver and Ryno at Epcot a couple of years ago and DID speak to them. Probably I had courage since I'd been drinking at a TIW event that time. :rotfl:

What a great meal at Homecoming. I have to try those fried green tomatoes sometime. If a Georgia girl says they are good they gotta be amazing :-) I can't believe you all split meals and still left with 3 boxes of leftovers. They certainly don't skimp do they?
They really are, and believe me Homecoming would not get any leeway from this Georgia girl if they weren't up to snuff! Homecoming leftovers make great tummy fillers if you potentially come back to the room a bit over-served. You know, hypothetically ;)

Where is the Morimoto forbidden lounge? I don't think I've heard of that before.
It's upstairs and to the right! It's great for small parties because the host/hostess will often mean mug us when we just waltz in with no ADR, but the forbidden lounge is first-come, first-served, and being upstairs it seems like not a lot of people know about it. Theoretically it is supposed to have a "secret door" outside but I find it much easier just to go in the regular door since it's not really hidden anyway.

How awesome you get to go back to Disney next weekend!!!!!!!! Offsite or not you'll be in Disney. We are actually headed to your neck of the woods while you are there. Visiting friends in Savannah
:banana: I'm pretty excited! It's going to be hot still, but we can plan pool time! I hope you have a wonderful time in Savannah, that's where R grew up! I have been there a fair number of times, it's quite charming.

Oh man, I should have tried those fried green tomatoes they look really yummy!

How exciting to be heading back to Disney for a F&W trip, sounds so fun.

Enjoy your trip!!
They are definitely worth a try "for next time"! I am very very excited about the return trip especially since I was expecting to have to sit this one out. Thank you!!!

OMG you're going back to Disney!! And SOON! :hyper::hyper::hyper:
:woohoo: I am too excited! And *some people* now have me plotting a way to fit in an outlet visit what with their amazing Dooney finds... ahem.
:lmao:Love it yes you must use it.
Planning plenty of swamp breaks so I am sure you will see it appear soon ;)

Have a wonderful trip next weekend!
Thank you! Turns out I can't sit out a food and wine festival, after all. Don't worry, I've already bought some pita chips to pack after reading about those yummy dips and things with not enough bread! :rotfl:

You all looked lovely for your night out at Disney Springs and dinner at Homecoming! The food sounds delicious, and I can't believe how much food you get from the restaurant.

Hooray for your upcoming Disney trip! It's just a few days away, that's so exciting! Hope you have a great time and the offsite resort works out well.

:flower3: thank you, Alicia! That's so kind. It was kinda fun having an occasion to dress up for since my usual wardrobe decisions are "what will keep me cool and prevent my thighs from rubbing together" :rotfl:

I am so excited about our next trip! I am mostly packed already :banana:

Ooooohhhh…I'll have to try those. I've only ever had FGTs on a sandwich. Those look yummy!
I love them like this since sometimes a sandwich sort of hides the flavor. Much rather have all that tangy goodness standing on its own!

::yes::

Awesome! I just wish you were going a week later! Have fun!
Me too! But I am so excited about May and your update of having a place to stay and being totally onboard! YAY!

I hope you have a wonderful October trip!!!
I love this thread so much. You just always look like you're having fun, no matter who you're with. :flower:

Do people tell you that you look like Reese Witherspoon? You could be sisters!
Thank you so much, those are the sweetest comments ever! :hug: I do always have fun - WDW is definitely my happy place. I have never heard Reese Witherspoon. I used to get Julia Stiles, then I got Adele once or twice, and most recently Megan Trainor :confused3 I think I might just have one of those familiar faces! But I will take any compliments I can get, and Reese Witherspoon is BEAUTIFUL!

April 7th, Part One: Fancy Grandma gets Sparkly for Days!

April 7th was the day I was most looking forward to, sort of the epicenter of our bachelorette plans - it was our Epcot day! I was so excited leading up to this and the opportunity to share the fun and the beauty of Flower and Garden Festival with my friends. I'd also been consulted about my willingness to partake in matching shirts, which I'd never done before, but was glad to celebrate the occasion this time! My friend Kay generously coordinated making them with her vinyl cutter, and they all said "Do You Suppose She's a Wildflower?" from Alice in Wonderland. Too cute! I was also super excited about my leggings which looked to me like Spaceship Earth's geodesic pattern. :hyper:

We got no further than the bridge from International Gateway before I made the girls stop for photopass:

EaOnj0el.png

I had a different, special pair of ears for the day, but a word of warning to those who might be interested in mouse ears with a veil: the veil is super unwieldy on breezy days! :laughing: thus began my day of fighting tulle out of my face :rotfl:

We headed toward Future World to meet up with Ash before our first fastpass, and of course we stopped into Starbucks for a little caffeine pick-me-up. Our first fastpass was Soarin, which everyone loved, of course. I loved Soarin and the opportunity to view the beautiful topiaries on the way in! We asked for and got "B" so that we could all enjoy a centered experience. I love riding Soarin with newbies, and even better when the newbies were part of my group.

nu5Tk5Hl.png

Next up was a fastpass appointment to meet some famous friends:

O7FVWBvl.png

The photopass photographers here were good with letting us take individual photos with the characters as well as the usual big group shots.

EgR6Epkl.png

Mickey was funny and was particularly emphatic about me not showing my ring to Minnie Mouse, lest she get any big ideas about wanting Mickey to put a ring on it himself! :rotfl:

EnyLEFQl.png

7nICYWIl.png

Giving out all those hugs had worked up our appetites! We were ready to head to World Showcase for the main event - snacking around the festival.

p1EYtkpl.png

Like any good tourist, I made my friends pose for my photos with the beauty of Epcot in the Spring!

kDtenKll.png

We wasted no time finding the first booth for snacks - La Isla Fresca. This one continues to be a favorite for me, and this visit was no exception. I ordered the Steve Special:

t6E31kil.png

Sugar Cane Shrimp Skewer with Steamed Rice and Coconut Lime Sauce – $6.75 , and to wash it down, the Golden Road Brewing Tart Mango Cart Wheat Ale, Los Angeles, CA – $4.25. The shrimp continues to please with a delicious savory flavor in the sauce which was ample in this serving and plenty to cover the portion of rice. While on the higher price range for a snack, the portion size is large. I don't remember much about the beer, and sorry I'm not sorry about failing to take very many notes since I was having so much fun with my friends!

coaq7Rwl.png

One of the other ladies sprung for the Caribbean Conch Salad with Mango, Papaya and Pickled Red Onions – $5.25. This year it was also served with a plantain chip. This is nice and refreshing with bright flavors and a light dish overall. This was changed up from the previous presentation of almost like a pico de gallo style salad of really small minced vegetables and conch. This year's presentation looked larger for sure.

From the Jardin de Fiestas nearby, I also grabbed this:

G7AcR26l.png

The Rose Margarita ($11.50). It was interesting to see a unique flavor option but overall I found this to be too sweet. It was nevertheless fully consumed... :rolleyes1

b7g7qYCl.png

"they say we are birds of a feaaatherrrrrrr"

We had a plan of attack that day that worked well for our group - we would pick an area of booths and everyone would look at the festival offerings and sort of split off to pick up whatever looked best and then regroup at a table or bench to enjoy everything. We reconvened this time at the Mexico pavilion and checked out the Coco display - we particularly got a kick out of the Catrina case which someone called "the fancy grandma - just like Melinda." :rolleyes: Another weekend catchphrase was born.

After our time checking out all of the Dia de Los Muertos displays, we rounded out our visit to Mexico by taking a spin on the always entertaining Gran Fiesta Tour!

BgE1LDtl.png

FgpKdLJl.png

P14q3gvl.png

After showing off the highly coveted ceiling fireworks, we managed somehow to be ready for another kiosk stop. China was just around the corner, so that's where we queued up.

I was rationing stomach space and wasn't overly tempted by the food options so I just grabbed a cocktail:

ZJ6PDaMl.png

Kung Fu Punch: Vodka, Triple Sec, Mango and Orange Juice – $8.75 I always enjoy getting drinks from the China booth because not only are they usually larger than the other booths' offerings, but the cast members pour the alcohol into each drink and they seem stronger. So I thought this was a great value! It was also super tasty, if a bit sweet. I enjoyed nursing this one.

Members of our party also got:

oqywVqPl.png

Fried Chicken Dumplings with Peanut Sauce – $6.25
This came with three but I wasn't quick enough with the photo. Still, even with three, this is a poor value in my opinion. These are pretty much freezer dumplings. While you really can't go wrong with a dumpling, I didn't want to waste tummy space or money on these.

Gmxrn8kl.png

E got the item that had interested me most, and she was kind enough to let me taste one. "Spicy Meatballs with Crispy Tofu – $5.00" There really was nothing about this dish that was crispy, so that was a letdown. The tofu was slimy and the whole thing was lukewarm and pretty sweet. The meatball inside was an unappetizing hue of pink. I would not get this again.

Fortified with my cocktail from China, I spied an activity that I'd always wanted to partake in at Walt Disney World but had never made time for... AND to boot, I had a friend willing to join in...

CiIgCUQl.png

I finally had my @Elevationist moment! I got my face painted at the Africa Outpost station. The cast members there were so funny - it was two young-20s gentlemen and they were loving that these two adult women were getting face paint. I asked the guy if my design came with sparkles, and he was like "Do you want it to come with sparkles?" so I told him ALL THE SPARKLES! He made it happen :rotfl:

I1bNoQyl.png

I was sparkly for days afterward!

Up next: we continue our trip around the world! DAS SAUERKRAUT!

Last edited:
:woohoo: I am too excited! And *some people* now have me plotting a way to fit in an outlet visit what with their amazing Dooney finds... ahem.

354PD7y.gif

My friend Kay generously coordinated making them with her vinyl cutter, and they all said "Do You Suppose She's a Wildflower?" from Alice in Wonderland. Too cute!

These are so sweet! Love the Alice quote—very appropriate.

but a word of warning to those who might be interested in mouse ears with a veil: the veil is super unwieldy on breezy days! :laughing: thus began my day of fighting tulle out of my face :rotfl:

Haha oh no!! :rotfl2: They look lovely though!

I love riding Soarin with newbies, and even better when the newbies were part of my group.

Agreed!! It was a big highlight when we took N's family on it for the first time.

I ordered the Steve Special:

:rotfl: I can only ever think of Steve whenever I hear about this dish.

we particularly got a kick out of the Catrina case which someone called "the fancy grandma - just like Melinda." :rolleyes:

I love this!! I'm SUCH a grandma!! If you can stay grandma-classy, and still be a fancy-pants, I think you're winning at life.

CiIgCUQl.png

I finally had my @Elevationist moment! I got my face painted at the Africa Outpost station.

:lovestruc:lovestruc

If you can’t get sparkly face paint on your bachalorette weekend, when can you?

Looks like a fun start! I usually like Rose Maragaritas - most of the premades are sweet though which is why we just go for straight tequila.

I love your Epcot adventures! The shirts are so cute.

Such a fun way to spend your bachelorette party, eating and drinking around F&G.

I love your face painting so sparkly!

You all are having a blast! I love the matching tees. My sister had matching tees made for our June girl's trip, but they were an epic fail...Waaaaaaaay too small...

I love your joy on this day!
At my wedding shower my friend gave me the Minnie ears with the veil. I got Jason a tux ear hat for our honeymoon. You're right, that darn tulle goes everywhere. I have a ride picture from Splash Mountain of them actually flying off during the final drop. You know why I didn't lose them? The tulle was stuck to the seat. Ha!

It's upstairs and to the right! It's great for small parties because the host/hostess will often mean mug us when we just waltz in with no ADR, but the forbidden lounge is first-come, first-served, and being upstairs it seems like not a lot of people know about it. Theoretically it is supposed to have a "secret door" outside but I find it much easier just to go in the regular door since it's not really hidden anyway.
Thanks for the tip. I had no idea. We've only been here once but ate at the small bar downstairs. I had no idea there was even an upstairs option.

Love the shirts! Major score for originality.

We wasted no time finding the first booth for snacks - La Isla Fresca. This one continues to be a favorite for me, and this visit was no exception. I ordered the Steve Special:
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Hopefully in May we can eat the actual Steve Special with the actual Steve and minds will be blown everywhere!

coaq7Rwl.png

One of the other ladies sprung for the Caribbean Conch Salad with Mango, Papaya and Pickled Red Onions – $5.25. This year it was also served with a plantain chip. This is nice and refreshing with bright flavors and a light dish overall. This was changed up from the previous presentation of almost like a pico de gallo style salad of really small minced vegetables and conch. This year's presentation looked larger for sure.
I don't recall seeing this in years past but it totally looks like something up my alley. I love, love, love conch and good to know it was actually good and not tough like it tends to be at most place.

After showing off the highly coveted ceiling fireworks, we managed somehow to be ready for another kiosk stop.
Casey has been angling for years to get these fireworks on the ceiling in her bedroom!

ZJ6PDaMl.png

Kung Fu Punch: Vodka, Triple Sec, Mango and Orange Juice – $8.75 I always enjoy getting drinks from the China booth because not only are they usually larger than the other booths' offerings, but the cast members pour the alcohol into each drink and they seem stronger. So I thought this was a great value! It was also super tasty, if a bit sweet. I enjoyed nursing this one.
Awesome pointer. I don't think I ever stop in China so I had no idea.

Gmxrn8kl.png

E got the item that had interested me most, and she was kind enough to let me taste one. "Spicy Meatballs with Crispy Tofu – $5.00" There really was nothing about this dish that was crispy, so that was a letdown. The tofu was slimy and the whole thing was lukewarm and pretty sweet. The meatball inside was an unappetizing hue of pink. I would not get this again.
How disappointing! I've been on a major tofu kick lately (love the consistency) so I would have been all over this. I've officially been warned.

I finally had my @Elevationist moment! I got my face painted at the Africa Outpost station. The cast members there were so funny - it was two young-20s gentlemen and they were loving that these two adult women were getting face paint. I asked the guy if my design came with sparkles, and he was like "Do you want it to come with sparkles?" so I told him ALL THE SPARKLES! He made it happen :rotfl:

I1bNoQyl.png
You are perfect and who doesn't want to be Billie full of sparkles every once in a while.

Such a cute picture you all look great!

I had a different, special pair of ears for the day, but a word of warning to those who might be interested in mouse ears with a veil: the veil is super unwieldy on breezy days! :laughing: thus began my day of fighting tulle out of my face :rotfl:

Haha that's so funny, but at least you look the part so hope it was worth the wrestling with tulle. Did you make those ears too? They are awesome!

I love riding Soarin with newbies, and even better when the newbies were part of my group.

Yes! I love riding Soarin' with newbies too! I love hearing their expressions!

Mickey was funny and was particularly emphatic about me not showing my ring to Minnie Mouse, lest she get any big ideas about wanting Mickey to put a ring on it himself! :rotfl:

She been waiting a long time for that ring! Poor Minnie.

t6E31kil.png

Yum my favorite shrimp!!

oqywVqPl.png

Fried Chicken Dumplings with Peanut Sauce – $6.25
This came with three but I wasn't quick enough with the photo. Still, even with three, this is a poor value in my opinion. These are pretty much freezer dumplings. While you really can't go wrong with a dumpling, I didn't want to waste tummy space or money on these.

This just looks like Ohana dumplings with Ohana dipping sauce! Much better value to just have dinner at Ohana then at least there will be unlimited food!

Gmxrn8kl.png

This does not look very good at all!
CiIgCUQl.png

Love the look! It definitely suits you! All the sparkles for you!!

we decided to have an air-conditioned, sit down lunch at Yak and Yeti. Only problem: one of my friends was looking at me like I'd grown a third eyeball when I said we could just get a table. She's a Disney regular but didn't know about the magic of the Landry's card!
This whole scenario is me and zack last week. He freaked when I told him I cancelled our ADR. Then he felt bad at lunch because the ADR group that checked in before us didnt get seated until after we had gotten our entrees
So, Pocahontas is one of my favorite Disney movies (I know I am in the minority on this) but the film was released when I was 8 years old, so this was totally my Disney wheelhouse. I had the Pocahontas "Barbie" (the same year I also got the Baywatch David Hasselhoff Ken doll for the same birthday, so there was some weird romance going on in my playroom that summer 8-)) and I have this movie nearly memorized.
Yesssssss. I am right here with you! I had the Pocahontas barbie too! I may have you beat on playroom romance... I never had any Ken dolls, but I did have a cinderella and a snow white doll....
I kinda broke Pocahontas. Oops!!! Not one to miss an option for a good comeback, she told us, "Yes, and you know, John Smith comes every night" (!!!)
:rotfl2: best interaction ever!!
This is the Picabu nachos "to go", made to order with as many or as few toppings as you want for $10.50. They're just chips from a bag with plastic cheese sauce but man did these ever hit the spot! And they did NOT skimp on toppings. I was in nacho heaven after this before having a quick rest!
These are pretty delicious nachos, we discovered

Hope you have a great trip! Loving your report even if I'm way behind :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter