No pre-planned PS for my trip last week and still got to eat everywhere I wanted!

EsmeraldaX

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that despite not making any PS before my trip, we still got to eat everywhere we wanted on this trip.

We made it to
Jiko dinner (we made a PS at guest relations 5 minutes before our PS time!)
Boma dinner (we made a PS 12 hours before our PS time)
Marakesh dinner (made a PS 3 hours before PS time)
Teppanyaki lunch (made a PS less than 24 hours before PS time)
Sci Fi Dine In lunch(made PS 3 hours before PS time)
Liberty Tree Tavern dinner(made a PS 6 hours before PS time)

The rest were all counter service (because that's what we wanted, and we also did resort room service for breakfast one day).

All meals were delicious, the best was Jiko followed by Marakesh and Tappanyaki. I can not even say enough good about these places.

Jiko we practically walked into on our first night at AKL. It was the best food I've ever had. I had the roasted chicken and Chris (my SO) had one of the beef dishes. I can not recall which though, but we each sampled each others food and I think I can safely say there is not a bad thing on the menu. Tamarind sauce is scrumptious (as anyone reading my trip report knows, I now am a very big fan of the Tamarind sauce!). My only regret was that I didn't get wine with my dinner. I had just gotten off a plane and really wanted some soda. Next time! :) Our waiter was okay, a little slow towards the end bringing us the bill so we could head out but we did not mind.

Marakesh is one of our classic faves. I get the chicken kebobs and rice and Chris gets the shish kabobs and they were even better this time than the last. We usually get sodas with our meals and end the night with a couple of Marakesh expresses (very yummy tropical drink). The bread they serve is great and our waiter was excellent and even brought me extra rice and bread after I said how much I loved it.

Teppanyaki was another first for us this trip. I had the steak and chicken combo and Chris had the filet minion. I loved the way they cook at the table, and we were seated next to some really nice people. We ate with our chopstick. :) The food was perfect, and filling and I'll definately eat there again.

Boma was terrific. The only problem I had with Boma was our waitress, who at one point actually removed my plate that still had food on it. I told her I was still eating and she ignored me and walked away with my plate. I mean, it is a buffet so I could get more, but still, I hate wasting food so that annoyed me. The food itself was great though, everything was hot and the buffet lines were not bad. I think I sampled a little of everything and it was all good. I really loved that they had Tamarind sauce which I think I added to everything... the rice with coconut in it is awesome. :) We were also seated next to the most miserable family on the planet so that did take from our enjoyment of the meal also. They did nothing but complain about everything and the woman kept sliding over and was practically on Chris' lap at one point (bench style seating). We'd eat here again, but Jiko would be our first choice.

We like diner food so we love the Sci Fi and go here every trip. I think the burgers there are great and the fries are my favorite kind. Chris likes the shakes there. Service was great and food came out quickly and hot.

LTT is always very tasty, but we found that since we have no childrem the characters were ignoring us this time, for the most part and the service is awful. We had the same waitress this time as we did in Dec. and she is horrendous. I'm not one to complain about service, but it took us over 2 hours to get out of LTT. We'll go back for the food but I really hope we don't get this waitress again.

In room dining for breakfast was wonderful. It arrived on time and was very good. It's a lot of food though, so be prepared to be stuffed!

The rest of our food was counter service which, although it took an insane amount of time between ordering and actually getting the food, was all okay. We ate at Electric Umbrella, Cosmic Rays, Pizzafari and Backlot Express. They were what they were.

Now my goal is to find somewhere to order Tamarind sauce so I can use it at home. :)

Sheri

I'm glad to hear you got in without having to plan in advance. I keep reading everyone's getting turned away, so I've got ARs for all but 2 days of my vacation.

We love Tangierine Café and I'm looking forward to trying Marrakesh this time. I thought I'd try the chicken kabobs, glad to hear they're yummy! I'm also looking forward to seeing the bellydancer along with my 18yr old nephew... ;)

Jiko is def. on my list to try in the future. I don't think I've ever read anything bad about it.

Two hours in LTT is ridiculous! I'm sorry you guys were ignored. I've read reviews of other couples getting really good character interaction there...sorry they Dissed you!
Thanks for the reviews!

So glad you got to try all that you wanted, and that you got in without PS ;) I'm sure some of that has to do with being a party of 2 - there are def perks to that!

Thanks for sharing =)

laurabelle said:
I'm glad to hear you got in without having to plan in advance. I keep reading everyone's getting turned away, so I've got ARs for all but 2 days of my vacation.

We love Tangierine Café and I'm looking forward to trying Marrakesh this time. I thought I'd try the chicken kabobs, glad to hear they're yummy! I'm also looking forward to seeing the bellydancer along with my 18yr old nephew... ;)

Jiko is def. on my list to try in the future. I don't think I've ever read anything bad about it.

Two hours in LTT is ridiculous! I'm sorry you guys were ignored. I've read reviews of other couples getting really good character interaction there...sorry they Dissed you!
Thanks for the reviews!

Marrakesh is really good. I could live on the bread they serve. :cloud9: The bellydancer is very entertaining. It's adorable when she has the little girls in the audience come up and dance with her. There was this little girl, she must have been about 2 years old, who went up and started just sort of jumping around dancing. It was too cute. There was another little girl dressed like jasmine who went up. Everyone in the restaurant went "Awwww". :goodvibes

We got pretty good character interaction last time we went to LTT. I don't know if they were just super busy or maybe because of where we were seated. We did see lots of interaction with families in our area though and we liked watching that. Pluto actually sat on the floor and held a 3 month old baby from the table next to us for a photo. It was too cute.

PS' are not near as hard to get for most places as people think. I have made PS' for a table in less than an hour.
Agree, I think making a res for only 2 people helps.
What limits many is when they want a specific time.

Occasionally I am offered only bad time selections. About a week and a half ago I wanted a PS for Boma's for May 24. All that was available was early or late. I just went for the 23rd instead and had several choices for times.

The two restaurants I have found real difficulty on fairly short notice is Le Cellier and Whispering Canyon.

Thanks for the reviews, and I'm glad you had a great trip! :)

We'll be dining at some of the same restaurants that you did: Boma, LTT, Sci-Fi, Teppanyaki. We've never been to any of these restaurants so I appreciate all the reviews I can find. I'm glad you liked Teppanyaki, I'm hoping my DSs will like it too since they like a place in N. Attleboro that's a Mongolian Grill, and it sounds very similar.

Plus we're doing the Segway Tour too! I love the pic in your signature :teeth:

I went to BOMA on Thursday 5-26, called for a PS Wednesday afternoon. I had my choice of many time slots and took the 7:20pm one as it was most convenient for us. We were also a party of 2, but were seated at a 4 person table.

We had the GREATEST server, John. He made the night magical. I wish everyone could get him once.

Great job with the reviews. :)
My wife and I have never eaten at the Sci-Fi, perhaps a lunch is in the future. Thanks. :)

Dana49 said:
Great job with the reviews. :)
My wife and I have never eaten at the Sci-Fi, perhaps a lunch is in the future. Thanks. :)

Even if you just go in for dessert, it's a neat atmosphere, esp. if you like those 50's sci-fi/horror movies. :) I've never seen anywhere like this place anywhere (aside from maybe the actual drive in!)

SeaSpray said:
Thanks for the reviews, and I'm glad you had a great trip! :)

We'll be dining at some of the same restaurants that you did: Boma, LTT, Sci-Fi, Teppanyaki. We've never been to any of these restaurants so I appreciate all the reviews I can find. I'm glad you liked Teppanyaki, I'm hoping my DSs will like it too since they like a place in N. Attleboro that's a Mongolian Grill, and it sounds very similar.

Plus we're doing the Segway Tour too! I love the pic in your signature :teeth:

Teppanyaki is now on our must do list every trip. It's so neat watching them make the food right at the table. :)

The Segway tour, I can not say enough good things about it. You'll have a great time. :) :flower:

Luv2Roam said:
PS' are not near as hard to get for most places as people think. I have made PS' for a table in less than an hour.
Agree, I think making a res for only 2 people helps.
What limits many is when they want a specific time.

Occasionally I am offered only bad time selections. About a week and a half ago I wanted a PS for Boma's for May 24. All that was available was early or late. I just went for the 23rd instead and had several choices for times.

The two restaurants I have found real difficulty on fairly short notice is Le Cellier and Whispering Canyon.

I agree. I haven't been to Whispering Canyon in a long time, so I don't recall, but actually, in Feb 2004 we were able to walk into Le Cellier with no PS at all with no wait during a rainstorm. Even though we were soaked from the rain, the food was so good, we forgot how cold and wet we were!

I'll be brave enough not to micro-manage a trip within an inch of it's life. But not this time. ;)

I am counting the days to that 90 day mark so I can book, book, book! Even without the park hours I am pretty sure which parks we'll be in each day and I have meticulously plotted our meals accordingly. No spontaneous decisions allowed!

I am so glad you enjoyed Boma! It is on my list! What is tamarind sauce? I thought a tamarind was one of those little monkeys. I am assuming you wouldn't put monkey sauce on your food, so it must be a fruit?

Glad you had fun! We are so excited about our next trip! Just 138 more days!!

jackskellingtonsgirl said:
I'll be brave enough not to micro-manage a trip within an inch of it's life. But not this time. ;)

I am counting the days to that 90 day mark so I can book, book, book! Even without the park hours I am pretty sure which parks we'll be in each day and I have meticulously plotted our meals accordingly. No spontaneous decisions allowed!

I am so glad you enjoyed Boma! It is on my list! What is tamarind sauce? I thought a tamarind was one of those little monkeys. I am assuming you wouldn't put monkey sauce on your food, so it must be a fruit?

Glad you had fun! We are so excited about our next trip! Just 138 more days!!

:rotfl:

Nope, not a monkey. It's a spicy (but not hot) sort of tangy sauce. It's very good on pretty much everything. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter