No Magical Express luggage tags

AdamsMum

DIS Veteran
My yellow tags haven't arrived, I assume due to rotating postal strikes in Canada. Does this mean I need to pick up my luggage? Or is there still some way they can find it? I'm travelling tomorrow.

I have read that one way to do it if you don't have the yellow tags, is to give the ME people your claim checks and they can get your bags and have them delivered. Anyone have more info on this? Is it different for Canadians?

When I was there in 2017 they were able to find my luggage using my baggage claim tags, but the CM was not happy about having to do it that way. My flight was domestic. Or you can pick up your luggage and take it with you. If you are arriving late afternoon/early evening remember that it can take up to 3 hours for your luggage to be delivered.

I was leaving my hometown a week before arriving at WDW. I asked ME what I should do if I didn't have the luggage tags in time, they instructed me to provide the claim tickets when I checked in for the bus.

I too am confused why this would be their stated policy & PP is reporting them being upset by doing what they asked you to do :confused3

To be safe, I would pick up my own luggage. Without those yellow tags I would think it would be very easy to be misplaced.

I was leaving my hometown a week before arriving at WDW. I asked ME what I should do if I didn't have the luggage tags in time, they instructed me to provide the claim tickets when I checked in for the bus.

I too am confused why this would be their stated policy & PP is reporting them being upset by doing what they asked you to do :confused3

We have done this many times as my husband runs the races at Disney, and runs every day while there, so sometimes I just can't fit everything in one bag each, especially in the winter when our clothes are bulkier, and we have never had an issue giving the ME person the claim information. I think this was likely just a one off issue with that CM having a poor day. We also have not had an issue with our extra bag getting delivered to our room, although I am sure mistakes have happened.

You are not limited to one bag per person. You are normally sent one tag per person since historically very few parties used more and it was not desirable to have too much wasted cardboard and materials.

If time permits, DME will send more tags on request if you need more (or if did not get the original shipment).

Last edited:
To update: I got in okay, gave my baggage claim tag to the ME check in. She didn`t seem to happy, which is weird, but my luggage was delivered to my room okay.

When we give the CMs our baggage claim receipts, they have to then go to baggage claim, and wade through the unclaimed luggage. That luggage has usually been set aside by each airline...but it's still a pain to do. Heaven forbid the CMs perform a task that we've been told to ask for, with a smile!

I know...they'd much rather you got it yourself and drug it through the airport MDE line and got it on to the bus yourself. Then wait for it to be pulled off your bus when you arrive at the resort and then slog it across the resort in the 1 mile hike to your room.

ETA: with your 4 kids and Granny in tow.

Last edited:
For those who had some foresight and a leftover Magical Express yellow tag and a scanner and color printer:

Draw one line through the resort name and other printed information but not the bar code.

Make copies. (Save them in the big envelope in your dresser where you keep tickets for future use.)

If absolutely positively needed, get them out, cut to size, write in the appropriate resort name and date and your name.

Laminate the tags with transparent package sealing tape to prevent tearing off or getting rain soaked.

Or just give the ME staff your claim checks, as the paperwork and confirmation inform you to do. Way easier than making up your own or dealing with keeping them around. Since it's hard to predict the future and know if or when you'll ever need them.
Who cares if the staff is "not happy" doing their job. Don't take the job if you aren't happy doing it.
And no, the staff there at the counter does not go to the baggage claim and get the bags.
They load the info in a computer (oh the horrors and difficulties typing numbers in! ;) ) and that info is then sent to the same folks who pull the bags (the Bags Inc employees) who then go the baggage claim and get the bags.
Any ME staff that gave me a hard time for doing an element of their job will find their supervisor is informed.

Has anyone actually received their tags within one week? We booked yesterday and travel on Tuesday, August 27.

You can have Disney pickup your luggage for you even if you didn't receive those yellow tags as mentioned above. The one thing I would NOT try to do is 'recycle' older unused yellow tags from a prior vacation. I can see all sorts of potential issues when they have trouble scanning an old barcode and your luggage could end up lost or at least at the resort you stayed at the prior vacation. The instructions that come with the tags specifically say to NOT cut them in half to try and create 2 from 1 tag, so I don't recommend trying to 'manufacture' them at home.

You can have Disney pickup your luggage for you even if you didn't receive those yellow tags as mentioned above. The one thing I would NOT try to do is 'recycle' older unused yellow tags from a prior vacation. I can see all sorts of potential issues when they have trouble scanning an old barcode and your luggage could end up lost or at least at the resort you stayed at the prior vacation. The instructions that come with the tags specifically say to NOT cut them in half to try and create 2 from 1 tag, so I don't recommend trying to 'manufacture' them at home.
That makes perfect sense. We have taken a number of cruises and they allow us to print our luggage tags at home. I wish we had that option for Disney. I use packing tape to create the same strength as the Disney tags.

Has anyone actually received their tags within one week? We booked yesterday and travel on Tuesday, August 27.

I believe they request 10 business days prior to your arrival day to mail them out. If you are within 10 days, assume you won't be getting them. If you do get them, then bonus. As discussed above, you never NEED them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter