No Disney Trip this year

No trip for us this year so we can take a budget trip to WDW next year.

I don't mind, though.

I'll feel a lot better going to WDW next summer once I've gotten rid of the CC debt and have put another chunk of $$ away in savings.

My other goal for the year is to build up my vacation time so I can take a nice vacation next year and still have extra days to take for other things.

DH and I were just talking about rising costs this morning. We expect our health insurance premiums to go up significantly this year. :scared1: That plus the rising cost of groceries, household items and gas, has made me really start thinking we need a new plan. I just haven't figured out what that plan is yet.

Since I work for the government, I get paid slave wages, but I have lots of good benefits and time off when I need it. If I go back to the private sector, it will be just the opposite. I'm not sure I'm willing to make that sacrifice yet, but I may have to soon. :guilty:

You are NOT alone. :grouphug:

No trip for us this year... was really hoping on making it for DS's kindy graduation but it's going to be a no-go.

Just got the rejection letter today that hubby didn't get the job he applied for (and we prayed SO hard about). :(

We had to cancel our planned 2008 trip once we found out we were having twins! We bought APs in October with plans to go in late Sept 08, but when we returned from Disney in October, we got the exciting news.

Knowing we were pregnant and due in May, we still figured we could handle one newborn and our daughter in October... But since there will be two babies, we just don't think we could swing it.

Looks like Disney will be an every-other year trip, rather than annual. We'll be able to get bigger DVC accommodations if we bank every other year.

I'm not the only one sad about not going this year-- my daughter is especially sad about it. I didn't want to blame it on the twins, so I just told her our tickets weren't good this year.

DH and I are going to NYC for his birthday instead. Flying from the other land (DL) is always a hassle. We were able to swing a quicky trip last September that we didn't plan for, so its ok to miss this year, maybe even next...tuition for two college boys is adding up...

We just cancelled our two reservations for August and December of this year. We've decided to do a smaller scale vacation this year in order to offset my tuition costs.

Hoping for a big Christmas 2009 trip to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.

Well we weren't planning on Dw or DL but I don't think we will take a big vaction this year either. We usually travel alot but DH just started a new job so no vacation time that I know of and lots of financial catching up to do to say the least. He was out of work from oct. Plus all of a sudden I don't think I can get on a plane so not even sure where we would go if we did have the time or money. We have been everywhere within a decent driving distance multiple times.

I am so glad I am not alone at no DW this year. I know the kids want to go but I told them hopefully next year we can make it happen? I am looking at Dollywood or Kings Island in Ohio? I am not sure as the one to choose because they both look like fine choices. I wonder if anyone has any good or bad things to say about either place? I was a bit sad yesterday I had a Disney Planning DVD show up in the mail so I got rid of it before the kids watched it.:guilty: :guilty: :guilty:

We thought about going last year when I got a promotion, but decided we needed to pay off some bills instead. :sad2: We are planning to go this year in Sept if they have free dining. :woohoo: DD10 will be in middle school next year, so this will probably be the last time we go for several years. We can't go during the summer, so it's either during school vacations (way too crowded) or take both DD's out of school for a week. That was ok when they were both in elementary school, but I don't want them to miss too many days once they get to high school or middle school. We are scaling back some though if we do go this year. We'll only go during free dining, we always stay at a value, and we were planning on going for 9 days this time but till probably change it to 7 days. Now I'm just hoping we'll be able to find a low air fare.

We cancelled too for this year. We were going to do the bounceback free dining, but with DD starting college this fall we aren't going to be able to go. I will just concentrate on getting the credit cards paid down. We might go to Branson sometime this summer.

I'll tell you, the dining situation where they're increasing the prices for certain times of the year REALLY rubs me wrong.

QUOTE]

I hadn't heard about this. Can anyone tell me about this?

I know there's info on Deb's site but I can't get there for some reason. Here's another article.

It's in effect the week before Easter too which is our Spring Break. It was the final nail in the coffin for me to not go that week, I was already on the borderline already. I know it's not a lot of money, but it adds up and it's the principal of it IMO. Plus it affects most of our favorite restaurants.

We arent planning on going this year either. The prices seem pretty high even for September. We are going on a Punta Cana trip in June-all inclusive 4.5 star resort w/air for the same price as Disney.

Yes, I agree...it is crazy! We were going in Sept, but something else came up.
My Dh and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary next year and we decided to go to Ireland then. In doing that we needed to not spend so much this year. We are going to Michigan instead. We are renting a house for a week, near a beach and a state park. The place has a kitchen so we can eat at home and not spend so much. Saving a little money by taking the dog with us. Should be a good time. Will I miss Disney? Sure will, but by not going I will get to see Ireland next year...that will be...Priceless.

I don't think we'll be going either. I was hoping for a late August or mid November trip, but I set myself on a strict budget plan to pay off all my debts and I don't see how I can fit a trip in. My sons and I are cutting back on lots of things. Also, I work indirectly for a huge cellular carrier that just announced tons of layoffs, so I'm just praying that I have a job. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
We have been extremely fortunate to have traveled 4 times in the past 5 years, so I cannot complain a bit.

Okay, parents...

Do you guys feel guilty when you don't take your kids on a yearly vacation?

Hubby and I took our kids on our first ever family vacation in '06 (Disney), then to the beach in '07. This year, we probably won't be taking a vacation at ALL (hubby in school, me taking a paycut). Our two sons are ages 10 and 6.

I feel horrible about it. Tons of mommy guilt.
Maybe it's because my parents were much more financially successful when they were my age now and as a child I was always taken on summer trips to the beach. We wouldn't be financially destitute if we went somewhere for a weekend, but hubby and I are trying to save for a house and pay down debts.

So, does forgoing vacations completely make me a bad parent? :D

I'll tell you, the dining situation where they're increasing the prices for certain times of the year REALLY rubs me wrong.

QUOTE]

I hadn't heard about this. Can anyone tell me about this?

They now have "seasonal pricing" at restaurants. :mad: I did not know this since it is new this year and we just got back. I found out when I went to pay the bill at Chef Mickeys and it was $140 for 3 adults and 2 children for breakfast!:scared1: They raise the prices for the season. I am so angry about it. This last trip made Disney seem very much like Great Adventure. Dh and I are not very happy at the direction it is taking.

My Dh and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary next year and we decided to go to Ireland then. .

Congratulations on your 25th!!! I went to Ireland on my honeymoon - 22 years ago. Can't wait to go back. Have a pint or 2 for us.

I do have a trip planned. But I own DVC and this year we plan on eating in a lot. We are meeting my sister and her family and can't wait.

And as a side note. I live near Boston. And when I go out to eat even at a chain restaurant the average for 3 of us with tip is about $75. So I don't find Disney World that much more expensive. But $140 for breakfast is just ridiculous.

Okay, parents...

Do you guys feel guilty when you don't take your kids on a yearly vacation?

Hubby and I took our kids on our first ever family vacation in '06 (Disney), then to the beach in '07. This year, we probably won't be taking a vacation at ALL (hubby in school, me taking a paycut). Our two sons are ages 10 and 6.

I feel horrible about it. Tons of mommy guilt.
Maybe it's because my parents were much more financially successful when they were my age now and as a child I was always taken on summer trips to the beach. We wouldn't be financially destitute if we went somewhere for a weekend, but hubby and I are trying to save for a house and pay down debts.

So, does forgoing vacations completely make me a bad parent? :D

Not at all! Don't feel bad! Sounds like you have a lot going on that much more important. You'll go back when you can! :hug:

We don't plan on WDW this year. I feel we were really lucky to go the past 2 years though. But between a new house (and all the expensive small touches that some with it) and maybe wanting to get a new car next year, it's just not in the budget. But, I'm taking DD home to visit family, family comes to visit us in 2 months and maybe a weekend trip to DL sometime we still have some stuff to look forward too.

We told DD that we're not going back to WDW this year, because it was too expensive for us. She was a little sad, but told me that she'll save up the pennies she earns to pay for it. I didn't have the heart to tell her she'd be saving until she was 25. :rotfl2:

:confused3 Doesnt look like it. I priced a trip for June for 3 nights 4 days room and tickets and without food- its expensive even with fla rates. We are going to do the seaworld/ Aquatic Water park instead in April over spring break and stay with sil. At least they have a great promotion going on for $80 for both parks. I think if the economy keeps going into the dumps the state of florida is going to be hurting since we are a big tourist state. Disney is just getting way to expensive for most families and will see a decline in customers..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter