No commercials during Super Bowl?

DVCajun

<font color=red>If you believe in Magic you belong
I've heard a VERY nasty rumor that we won't be seeing the commercials when we watch the game onboard because it's not going to be showing on a local channel. Or something like that. I don't know the reason, but I'm gonna be some kinda upset if I miss the commercials. They're the highlight of the game for me! ;)

Look on the bright side...they might not show the half time show either.

wdwoldtimer said:
Look on the bright side...they might not show the half time show either.

GASP!!!! Say it isn't so!!!!
errrr.gif

Someone posted something about watching a football game on the cruise that didn't have the commercials. They said the cool thing was that you had the feed even when they were supposed to be on commercial so you saw the people practicing their lines to making wise comments. Apparently it was quite amusing.

Besides, they commercials haven't been all that great really. Only a few good ones a game. You can probably find them somewhere on teh internet after the game is over.

They receive a direct satelite feed which doesn't have commercials.

There were NO commercials, and we watched a "foreign" channel for the Superbowl last year - as in, it was meant to be broadcast in a country where football is not a big sport, so they were doing commentary that included explaining alot of stuff we football fans might already know. My son thought it was funny. We did not see the halftime show, from what I remember...

Not on a ship, but we have watched Soccer and Nascar commercial free, it is great!!!! The commercials may come on, but just in the upper left corner, so you can still see the action, while they get their commercial in! Wish all sporting events would do this

WDWoldtimer, shame on you for making such a comment, 'look on the bright side, no half-time show either.' :mad: The one and only Paul McCartney is performing this year's half-time show. :lovestruc

Yeah, Paul is great, but isn't the lypsnyching sensation Ashley Simpson also on? :rolleyes1

We just saw the Philly-Atlanta and PATS-Steelers playoff games on RCI. They had no commercials during the Philly game. Direct feed and you would see them preparing the clips for when they returned to live time and heard them talking back and forth to each other. PATS game had some commercials in Spanish as it was ESPN Espanol. Pre-paid cell phones seemed to be very popular. But they weren't up every time they cut to a break.

Whether it will be that way for the SuperBowl, I don't know.

The best commercial of all won't be on anyway... go to www.budweiser.com to see the spot that FOX won't let them air... you'll love it! Anheuser-Busch has some great commercials lined up for this year- they'll probably all be on the website next week. But check out the 'wardrobe malfunction' one now- its great!

That's what TiVo is for :teeth: We record the Super Bowl and then after it's over we watch it ... fast forwarding through the game, watching all the commercials (and I guess this year we'll watch the half time show - we deleted it from TiVo last year before we heard about all the JJ hullabaloo).

kikipug said:
The best commercial of all won't be on anyway... go to www.budweiser.com to see the spot that FOX won't let them air... you'll love it! Anheuser-Busch has some great commercials lined up for this year- they'll probably all be on the website next week. But check out the 'wardrobe malfunction' one now- its great!

That is funny and just so you know.... Lucille the Donkey will be back this year too.

TheWog said:
That is funny and just so you know.... Lucille the Donkey will be back this year too.

I know... I am privy to inside info... it comes in handy!

ivanova said:
That's what TiVo is for :teeth: We record the Super Bowl and then after it's over we watch it ... fast forwarding through the game, watching all the commercials (and I guess this year we'll watch the half time show - we deleted it from TiVo last year before we heard about all the JJ hullabaloo).
Good idea!

The wardrobe malfunction commercial is hysterical! Why won't they let them air it?? I didn't see anything inappropriate. :confused3

As my name implies, I work in TV. And to answer the question, it depends WHICH feed the ship uses.
If they use the FOX feed, it WILL have all the national commercials, and a few 30 second blocks of nothing for the local stations to insert their local commercials in. You would see all the hype commercials.

If they use some international feed, then no, it would not have commercials. But THAT signal would be scrambled, and only those authorized to receive that feed would get it. I just can't imagine the NFL allowing a cruise ship full of mostly Americans to view a clean feed (TV term for commercial free)of the game.
But as a West Coaster, and a baseball fan, who cares. I'll be out working in my yard. :rotfl2:

I was on the ship last year for the game, and it has to do with the Disney/ABC affiliation, I believe...? They won't show Fox on board. Aren't they associated with ESPN as well somehow??

Yes, Disney owns both ABC and ESPN.

Mickeyhugger said:
WDWoldtimer, shame on you for making such a comment, 'look on the bright side, no half-time show either.' :mad: The one and only Paul McCartney is performing this year's half-time show. :lovestruc

And what a fantastic performance he gave...a zillion times better than the crap last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter