No Castaway Cay - Dealbreaker?

_Crush_

Earning My Ears
Booked a western caribbean in October out of Galveston (gambling with the weather). These itineraries do not have a stop in Castaway Cay (obviously due to distance.)

With all the great things I hear about Castaway Cay, it appears it is truly the gem of most people's trips. Should it be a dealbreaker, and instead save up for the flight to Florida and sail on another itinerary?

It depends. We love Grand Cayman. We are not huge beach people, but Castaway is the nicest beach I've ever done. It is just so EASY.

Do you live within driving distance of Galveston? That might make the difference--not needing flights is huge.

I think you'll have a great cruise out of Galveston, and you'll have plenty to do. I'd compare costs and alternatives and then decide.

We also love Grand Cayman -- Sea Grape Beach is truly paradise.

Yes, we are in a day's drive of Galveston, which makes all the difference in the world for us. We sailed Carnival last year, went to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Jamaica, so two of the ports are the same but we're thinking that's its really the cruise itself that makes the trip. But having said that, it seems that Castaway Cay is a can't miss destination.

Booked a western caribbean in October out of Galveston (gambling with the weather). These itineraries do not have a stop in Castaway Cay (obviously due to distance.)

With all the great things I hear about Castaway Cay, it appears it is truly the gem of most people's trips. Should it be a dealbreaker, and instead save up for the flight to Florida and sail on another itinerary?

We just got back from the Magic and while CC was very nice we re-booked for a 8 night out of Galveston in February. We are not really beach people and being able to drive 3 hours to the port rather than fly or drive to FL makes a huge difference. We are going for the over all experience not a few hours of the trip.

Castaway Cay IS nice....it's clean....and there are some nice things for the kids (and adults) to climb on, slides, etc....but it's obviously really crowded, because everyone on the ship is all right there.
The food is barely acceptable...burgers, fries....you pay for your drinks there, just like you would at any beach bar, but probably pay more than you would (even for a soda) at a beach in Grand Cayman or Costa Maya.

Diving & snorkeling in GC and Costa Maya...little snorkeling at Castaway Cay and no diving. Stingrays....GC and CC....

To me, Castaway Cay is like the Magic Kingdom on a beach...without the rides. Or I suppose about the same as Blizzard Beach or one of those.

I really like Costa Maya. Even if you don't leave the port area, there's a large swimming pool with a swim-up bar, lots of shops, places to eat or get a drink....and perfectly safe.
I've not heard of ships not being able to dock in Costa Maya, but I guess it could happen.

Honestly I could care less if the cruise goes to CC. I live a mile from the beach, so the beach on vacation has zero appeal. The only things I really enjoy is lunch at Serenity Bay, a quick trip down Pelican Plundge, and two for one hour at the Knoked out bar. All can be in a two hour span. On one of the cruises we have taken I did not even get off the ship at CC.

Should it be a dealbreaker,

Definitely , NOT !!!

edit; As mentioned no guarantee you will dock at CC. From my lame calculations, I came up with a 19% chance of not making it to Castaway Cay. Doesn't seem worth the added expense of flying and the still potential miss. JMT

CC is really neat to see, but I'd rather be able to drive to Galveston and not go to CC, than fly to florida just to go to CC.

All other things being equal, it should tip the scales, but i don't think it should outweigh travel time.

I agree with others, CC is NOT a deal breaker in these circumstances. CC is fun, but it is just one day of a cruise, and there is so much more to a Disney cruise that just isn't to be missed. In my opinion, the stops are just part of a cruise vacation, there is a lot to be seen and experienced on the ship as well.

The food is barely acceptable...burgers, fries

I actually get off the ship just to get the grilled fish sandwich at Serenity Bay so I'm not ready to say that all the food on CC is barely acceptable. I'm not all that interested in the beach, but it's a good place to go on a nice day.

If no CC is a dealbreaker, as noted it should be remembered that sometimes the ships are unable to dock at CC - I've been on two cruises where that is the case, guests need to remember they don't just decide arbitrarily that they're not going to dock there, as on both cruises there were a number of adult meltdowns at Guest Services. Someone who saved up for flights to Florida just to visit CC might be in that group having a meltdown if their cruise happens to be one that misses it.

I am not a beach person. At CC - I spend my time walking along the beach or enjoying a hammock - until lunch is served. :teeth: After lunch, I go back to the ship and watch the afternoon movie.

I LOVE CC. I get so excited whenever we go there. That being said, if I had the choice between driving to the port for a cruise and flying to the port for a cruise, I would drive. I'd rather drive the car and get on a cruise than have to plan flights, worry about luggage and transportation. I'd vote for staying with your current plan and sailing out of Texas. If in the future Disney no longer sails from Texas, you can then plan on going to FL and CC.

Meredith

CC was one of the best things about our first trip, but we're Texans and want to go on another cruise ASAP. So, we're biting the bullet and going on one of the Galveston dates. A three hour drive for just the cost of gas, beats having to pay almost another grand for airfare.

I wish Disney would have the following cruise out of Galveston:
Stop at Key West
Stop at Castaway Cay
Stop at Bahamas

This would be a 7 day cruise.

Carnival does a similar route out of Galveston...

Is Castaway Cay 'overbooked' to allow for another ship to have a day?

Paul

I wish Disney would have the following cruise out of Galveston:
Stop at Key West
Stop at Castaway Cay
Stop at Bahamas

This would be a 7 day cruise.

Carnival does a similar route out of Galveston...

Is Castaway Cay 'overbooked' to allow for another ship to have a day?

Paul

JMHO, but that is a horrible itinerary. I would rather do a 7 night to nowhere and just have sea days.

We are going to book a Texas cruise. I had been looking forward to CC, but it in no way seems to be worth the extra expense. Now I'll just have to start getting excited about exploring Costa Maya.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter