Nintendo Switch - questions...can your teens help me?

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
My DD18 is a freshman in college. 2 hours away. No tv at school, etc. She has a WII at home, a 3DS XL at home and loves the retro Nintendo stuff. Has an old SNES and N64 but very limited games for the vintage systems. She has played the WII games for years but obviously you can't buy any new games for WII.

I know she is INTERESTED in the SWITCH but always comments it isn't worth it...because I assume of her limited ability to play it and not that many games available. Few good games are out now.

Do you think for a soon to be 19 year old this would be a good gift> She has XBOX one AND NEVER TOUCHES IT. Again I think she has the soft spot for Nintendo games etc.

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with one but I have a soon to be 19 year old daughter at college who still enjoys Wii games. And I have heard good things about the Switch on the thread about an Xbox for a 7 year old. If you know she is interested in it, I would go for it. "Worth it" maybe doesn't matter when Mom & Dad are buying! DD wishes she had something to play in her suite. She has a friend from class who brought a Wii, and DD is waiting to be invited over to play it!

Well we have one. But how we came about it might answer your question. My brothers who are 21 and 23 year old university students each have one. My ds 13 wanted one but there was no way I was spending that much on a system when he already has an Xbox One, unless it was for a Christmas gift.
My 23 year old brother played the new Zelda, beat it, and gave it to my son. This was back in May. I saw him this weekend and asked him when he wants it back and he said "only when the new Pokemon comes out, if it ever does. You can have it back after." For him there just aren't enough titles to keep him interested. And my family are ultimate Nintendo kids.. they grew up with every Nintendo system there was. They love the system but the lack of titles don't make it a must have as far as my brothers or my son are concerned. Even my 13 year old hasn't asked for another game, but I do plan to get him one or two for Christmas.

So make of that what you will, but it might be too much to spend if there is only one or two games she wants. FWIW everyone LOVES the new Zelda.

The games that are available are really good. DS 11, DD 7 and DH play frequently. I only really play MarioKart on it. I love the idea of it since it can be on the TV, as a single handheld or as a multiplayer handheld. While there are not too many titles available right now, my kids and DH are happy with the ones we have so far. (Zelda, MarioKart, Mario & Rabbids, Arms, Splatoon) We still can get games for our WiiU also so they have plenty to play.

Well we have one. But how we came about it might answer your question. My brothers who are 21 and 23 year old university students each have one. My ds 13 wanted one but there was no way I was spending that much on a system when he already has an Xbox One, unless it was for a Christmas gift.
My 23 year old brother played the new Zelda, beat it, and gave it to my son. This was back in May. I saw him this weekend and asked him when he wants it back and he said "only when the new Pokemon comes out, if it ever does. You can have it back after." For him there just aren't enough titles to keep him interested. And my family are ultimate Nintendo kids.. they grew up with every Nintendo system there was. They love the system but the lack of titles don't make it a must have as far as my brothers or my son are concerned. Even my 13 year old hasn't asked for another game, but I do plan to get him one or two for Christmas.

So make of that what you will, but it might be too much to spend if there is only one or two games she wants. FWIW everyone LOVES the new Zelda.

Thanks this sounds exactly like my situation. She loves pokemone too. I think this why she hasn't asked for it outright as she knows there are ony a few games of interest. UGH what to do???? Do you think this is crazy - she has the N64 but only a few games , as she got it for 5.00 at church sale with box! What about a new Mario game for this? Super Mario N64 to exact. Amazon sells them used...I don't mind the price of the Switch but she does have the DS that she is active with and being an only child she doesn't really have anyone to play with on a regular basis....DH and I are terrible at the racing games!!

You should get a Raspberry Pi set up with all the old Nintendo games. You can buy them put together already online....Just like the NES Classic from Nintendo but with every old Nintendo game for a fraction of the prices.

Jill in CO

There is a new plug and play super nes system coming out. It's $80 and comes loaded with 21 games. My college freshman DS is considering asking for that. If your DD already has many of those games, then it probably wouldn't be worth it.
https://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic
He has an old Wii at home. He took his PS4 and 3DSXL to school with him. He really only plays Pokémon on the 3DSXL. His roommate brought a Game Cube :)

If you can afford the Switch, that might be something she would enjoy. It seems like the versatility would be a pro, having the ability to play on the handheld screen.
So, she wouldn't have a tv to hook it to at school? I guess that's something to consider then. How much different would it be than the 3DXL, which she left at home? Hmmm. Not sure.

There is a new plug and play super nes system coming out. It's $80 and comes loaded with 21 games. My college freshman DS is considering asking for that. If your DD already has many of those games, then it probably wouldn't be worth it.
https://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

I was looking at that and think I'll try to get DD one. I'm just afraid they're going to be hard to find but I have an alert set up on Amazon.

Thanks this sounds exactly like my situation. She loves pokemone too. I think this why she hasn't asked for it outright as she knows there are ony a few games of interest. UGH what to do???? Do you think this is crazy - she has the N64 but only a few games , as she got it for 5.00 at church sale with box! What about a new Mario game for this? Super Mario N64 to exact. Amazon sells them used...I don't mind the price of the Switch but she does have the DS that she is active with and being an only child she doesn't really have anyone to play with on a regular basis....DH and I are terrible at the racing games!!
We are going to skip getting the Switch this year, but My DS9 is super excited for the new Pokémon games come out in November for the 3DS. They are Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Maybe got those for her instead?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter