Nike + problem?

PaDisneyCouple

DIS Veteran
:confused:
I recently began using this App to track my running. I used it during a 5K for the first time a few weeks ago and the distance was off. Then DH and I ran on a local rail trail (he uses a Garmin) and the Nike + had the distance wrong to a landmark on the trail compared to his Garmin and the trail's map. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It seems to be saying I'm running a longer distance than I actually am. It always says my GPS is weak, but I always proceed with the run and it always seemed to work. I am using it in a residential/rural area (I'm pretty much running in the middle of a corn field with the aroma of manure, so it is not a tall building problem). I have not had the chance yet to test it on a track or other known distance. Is there a way to fix this? Is there a better App I can use? I am just a casual runner and really only interested in having a reliable App on my phone and I like that it gives me verbal feedback at set distances, for example I have it set to tell me time and pace at each half mile. Thanks for the advice!

Hello! I also use the Nike + app in conjunction with a Garmin (Forerunner 210) GPS watch. I'm no GPS expert, but from my experience, the apps on phones are not super accurate. From what I've read, the reason is that the phones "check in" with the GPS less frequently than a GPS watch would, giving you a distorted running path that is usually longer than what you actually ran. I've also run with friends who were also running with the Nike+ app, and though we all ran the same distance, using the same app, we all had different phones and got vastly different readings. I think the problem lies not in the app, but the GPS device in the phone itself.

That being said, I still use the Nike+ app because it is very motivating for me to see those red miles adding up, and to compete with my friends who also use the app. I just trust the mileage on my watch and edit my Nike+ runs, or if I run without my watch, I just know I need to run a bit farther than my Nike+ app says. :) My phone is usually off by about .25-.5 mile during a half marathon distance, so it's not terribly off. I'm not training for the Olympics or anything, so I'm not super worried about it. ;) But if it bothers you, or if your phone seems super inaccurate, I would recommend investing in a GPS watch. They're a little pricy, but totally worth it if you plan on running for a while! I love mine! It doesn't have all the fancy bells and and whistles that some models have, but it's just right for me! ;)
HTH! :)

This is a good explanation.... Phones tend to triangulate off of cell towers, not off of satellites if not of the latest model. They also tend to be 2-4 time less accurate when they do get a fix on position... a GPS watch is generally 10 feet or less and a phone can be 50 feet or more off.

While it may be inaccurate, it should be consistent. Saying that, it will help get you through your training plan with no issue. Even if off 5%, you would still be running 19 miles on a 20 mile run... more than adequate.

If you like the other features, then keep on keeping on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter