Night before near PC or Orlando?

LNMom

Mouseketeer
Should my family stay near PC or in Orlando (near WD W for the fun of it) the night before our next cruise? I like being close to the port, but it may be nice to stay in Orlando. We are driving in and will park at port, but must pick up MIL from MCO, so we will be in Orlando anyway.

If we stay in Orlando where should we dine for dinner and breakfast?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Since you have your own car, you have plenty of options : on property at WDW, at Disney Springs, at Universal. If I had the same options, I would stay at Port Orleans and spend the evening at Disney Springs, taking the boat to get there. There are multiple restaurants and you get in the Disney spirit without spending too much. But we are morning people and would not have any trouble being at the terminal by 10:30 the next morning.

If you prefer not to drive in the morning, stay near the port (I like the Residence Inn at Cocoa beach. The breakfast buffet is good) and eat at Fishlips the evening before the cruise.

If you are picking up your MIL from MCO on the day of the cruise (eek! - but it is unclear), then 100% Orlando. Otherwise you would be driving an hour or so each way.

Otherwise, it is up to you. I typically fly in the night before and stay at an MCO-area hotel then Disney bus in the morning. But that is because I don’t have a car, will not rent one not having driven for 13 years, and do not want to contemplate the cost of a Lyft to the port area. Our first Disney cruise we (it was my parents and sister and me - all adults) stayed at the Country Inn and Suites at the port and thought it was fine.

Since you have your own car, you have plenty of options : on property at WDW, at Disney Springs, at Universal. If I had the same options, I would stay at Port Orleans and spend the evening at Disney Springs, taking the boat to get there. There are multiple restaurants and you get in the Disney spirit without spending too much. But we are morning people and would not have any trouble being at the terminal by 10:30 the next morning.

If you prefer not to drive in the morning, stay near the port (I like the Residence Inn at Cocoa beach. The breakfast buffet is good) and eat at Fishlips the evening before the cruise.

Exactly what we did prior to our last Disney cruise swam in the pool all day and boat to Disney Springs for dinner. A relaxing way to start our vacation!

We take Amtrak and bring the Spiffmobile with us on the train. Since we aren't early risers and prefer a 10:30 PAT we stay in PC at the Country Inn. We can sleep late and take our time getting ready in the morning, then just drive across the street with no worries about traffic or anything that might delay us. PC isn't exactly the Entertainment Capital of the World but we can always find something to do the evening before the cruise, even if we just have dinner and then hang out at the hotel pool enjoying some family time. Not as fun as WDW for sure, but it's low-stress and that's what drives our vacation planning these days.

Should my family stay near PC or in Orlando (near WD W for the fun of it) the night before our next cruise?

A few things to factor in is when is your cruise, when do you arrive and when is pick-up at the airport.

If you have less then 24 hours to your PAT then I would think near PC or near the airport if MIL arrives later. You can always play at the beaches if you are over there. A trip to Space Complex is also an option. One thing that is fun, is having lunch or dinner at the port restaurants and watching other ships depart. (Depending on your actual cruise dates and if there are ships departing the day before.)

If you have at least 24 hours and the airport pick-up timing isn’t too intrusive then staying on property becomes easier. Another poster shared that Disney Springs gives the best options for dining. If you are on property just factor in tolls on your drive. The best route is 417 to 528 and is all toll roads. If you have a sunpass, not an issue.

According to Lyft's own estimator, somewhere between $50-$250 depending on number of people and class of vehicle.

Thanks for posting that, Dynamic. :cutie: Living right here I cannot fathom anyone doing a drive from the Orlando area to PC, especially with all the tolls, for anywhere very close to $50 though. It's easily an hour's drive depending on one's starting point in the area, and there are a lot of tolls. :crazy2:

Thanks for posting that, Dynamic. :cutie: Living right here I cannot fathom anyone doing a drive from the Orlando area to PC, especially with all the tolls, for anywhere very close to $50 though. It's easily an hour's drive depending on one's starting point in the area, and there are a lot of tolls. :crazy2:

I wouldn't think too many drivers would want to take that fare either. If you have to deadhead back, you wind up losing money. I don't know how Lyft/Uber handle tolls. I'm assuming there must be a mechanism for passing it on to the client or drivers in places with toll roads would get hosed.

I wouldn't think too many drivers would want to take that fare either. If you have to deadhead back, you wind up losing money. I don't know how Lyft/Uber handle tolls. I'm assuming there must be a mechanism for passing it on to the client or drivers in places with toll roads would get hosed.

Exactly! I'm thinking the actual cost would be a good deal more than that low end quote.

We usually stay at the port, and leave the car at the hotel while we sail. Most of the packages include breakfast, shuttle and parking while you cruise for around the cost of parking at the port. You can do a little shopping at the surf shops in town.

We go with the WDW bubble all the way. Disney hotels have that extra magic with character meals, amazing pools, and theme-ing, and you don't need a car between magical express to the hotel and DCL transfers to port. Certainly not the most cost-effective option, I'll admit, but I love getting that extra Disney experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter