Nick Hotel review 5/2 - 5/4

MeghanNRileysMom

Mouseketeer
This was our first stay at the Nick Hotel... and definitely the last! Holy overpriced value resort! I should have run fast and swift when we drove up and there was a line to check in a mile long. It literally took us 40 minutes to get up to the counter. When we finally were able to check in, the agent who helped us (Kevin), was a doll. Helpful, quick, and very pleasant. We got a room right next to the pool (not the main pool) on the first floor and it was ready. I started to think it wouldn't be so bad.

I was wrong ;)

Then we tried to find a parking spot. I think my car might be in the Epcot parking lot.

The rooms are much smaller than they appear on the website, but still good. The kids had wanted Fairly Odd Parents and we got that. Points scored. The room was clean and had TVs in both bedrooms and the living room. Points scored. Clean! Points scored.

We drop our stuff and head out to the pool. The pools were MOBBED. I mean more than I have EVER seen ANYWHERE! I could barely see water! Seriously. Then the filth. OH.MY.GOD. Dirty towels everywhere, food on the ground and all over the tables. I stepped on something slimy, I think it was a peach slice. GROSS. I realize guests should clean up after themselves, including towel return. But when they don't it should be rectified by some staff member! The kids swim for awhile, and I have to say they loved both pool areas totally. My husband was having a stroke about how crowded it was, I told him sweetly "you get what you pay for" (of course *I* had wanted to stay at our usual spot... the Polynesian!... points scored... for me!)

We go back to the room and take quick showers and head out to visit my DH's grandpa who was in the hospital in Tampa. When we got back around 11pm (and dropped our car back at the Epcot lot, what is up with this parking???), I went to make up the pullout couch. Uh... where are the sheets... and the pillows? Then I look on the master bed... hey! no blanket here either. WTH? Call the front desk and they ask me... "you really have no linen?" Why no, of course I do, I was bored at 11:30pm and decided to play a late April Fool's Joke on you.... NO, I don't have linen, tyvm!

So 20 mins later someone shows up with the linen. Yawn. Finally!

The next day we leave the hotel at 9am to go to Epcot (to visit our car... no seriously, we did go to Epcot). Spent a few hours there til early afternoon and then headed back to use the pool. HEY.... we got a parking spot! AWESOME!! HEY! Not many people at the pool! AWESOME! HEY!... the pool near our room is closed... are you &*)&*(&*(& kidding me? It's 95 degrees out and 4pm! And our room still hasn't been cleaned either. They must be on the way, I mean it's almost 5pm by now, right? Right.

Whatever, the kids will swim at the main pool, I can deal. Speaking of that, I got a GREAT foot massage for only like 15 dollars, and the girl was awesome. Her and Kevin were the bright spots!

BTW, the pool areas were still filthy with old food boxes, old food, and wet towels everywhere. I did see many pool attendants hanging out at the clean towel pickup having a lovely social gathering. Whatever, I wouldn't want to clean that crap up either, but that's why I went to college. Just sayin'.

Okay, swim for an hour and head back to the room to shower with nice clean towels... what? Where are our towels? This can't be them in a nice pile on the floor of the bathroom where we left them this morning, along with a nice 5 dollar tip for our housekeeper? Oh but they are. Great, no service still at SIX PM. When exactly will they service our room? While we're sleeping? It would save time on bedmaking, I suppose, if we are actually IN them.

I call down to the desk and like 30 seconds later there is a knock on the door. FINALLY! Good service! Nope, coincidence, it's the housekeeper here to clean our room. At SIX PM while half my family is naked. Okay, so can we just have the towels? Then she asks me to sign that I refuse service. Are you kidding me? I"VE BEEN TRYING TO GET SERVICE AT THIS HOTEL FOR TWO DAYS NOW! Whatever, give me my towels, now half my family is naked AND wet! CheeseAndRice lady!

30 more minutes go by and everyone is ready for dinner, so we're just about to go and here comes a knock on the door. It's the towels I called for earlier. Great, thanks.so.much.

At least when we get back I know I'll have a pillow and blanket, right?

Fast forward through the night of Disney magic at the MK and CM's for dinner, followed by our last viewing of Wishes and my tearful (as always) exit from the park for.the.last.time. Well not the last time EVER, I'm being melodramatic (I bet you couldn't tell that about me). Just the last time this trip.

We get up in the morning EARLY because some idiot!!! (me!) booked us on an 8:45am flight from MCO to Hartford. Was I thinking we'd need to be at the airport two hours earlier? No I was not. So there. Anyhow... my DH, great guy that he is, got up first and took a shower. And I notice his teeth chattering and a slightly blue tinge to his tan. What's up with that? "honey? there's no hot water, I hate to tell you" OH NO HE DIDN"T!

I'm now enraged. Not only do I have to leave the Disney Magic! and go home, and some idiot (me!) booked us on a waytooearly flight... but I have a cold shower? Oh no way Jose! (and not that fabulous sundae from Beaches and Cream either).

The lady who answered actually said "well when it's this under booked (WHAT? who were all those people in the pools?) we sometimes don't have the hot water on this early." I literally lost it. I stated how this was just the icing on the cake and she asks me "well everything wasn't horrible, was it?" Nearly lady, NEARLY! She was a TOOL with all caps, just like that. I mean really.

This place downright sucked. And really, I'm not picky. We've stayed at HoJos and Motel 6's. We've vacationed in Wildwood (so you know I'm not picky now!). But really, hot water and linens are too much to expect? Especially when you have to shower peach guts off your feet?

Notice I did not mention all the cool activities they promote on their website. Yeah, that's because we didn't do any. 25 dollars for this 25 dollars for that 25 dollars for this. Peach guts were free, along with any assorted rubbish you wished to rummage through poolside.

The upside is that the kids thought the place was "cool". Great. I'm glad they liked it, it's their only shot til the take themselves there when they grow up.

Thanks for the review. I'm sure my kids would have loved the Nick Hotel when they were a little younger, but it seemed to me that it would be kind of like being forced to spend the night at a Chuck E. Cheese, so we never stayed there. That hotel isn't cheap and no hot water or fresh towels isn't something you would expect for what they charge.

We stayed here back when it was Holiday Inn Family Suites and it was better before they changed everything, including the price. I had thought about going back, but now I won't.
Your review was entertaining, and an add for hotel linens appeared at the top of my screen! I guess if you are staying at Nick, you should bring your own.

:rotfl:ROFL:rotfl:-thank you for the comical but serious trip report. I have heard mixed reviews about this resort. We live in So. Florida and my son desperately wants to stay here for a weekend. I just always think for the price we can stay in disney with its magic and its so much better. I think I'll continue to book disney.
Great details. And maybe the "peach guts" are a hidden promotion for their special foot message in the spa?? Maybe?? Like their version of a hidden Mickey? guess not-just downright disgusting. Shame on dirty people like that.

Im sure you will get some loyal fans reprimanding you. I however appreciate your candor.

I am so torn about this hotel because my son is a certifiable Spongebob fanatic. So I know he would just go bs for a room...but there is NO WAY im paying 250 + a night for one of the suites ...forgetaboutit! Ill stay at the Contemp for that price.
:confused3

Im sorry to laugh...hubby and I were rolling laughing at your report...not at your bad experience but we have been in similar situations where the staff couldnt give a damn either. We call it the "fly in the soup" experience where by the waiter tells you to shush as everyone will want one. This happened to us last year at the Days Inn San Antonio...the place was so disgusingly gross..after tons of complaints we were told we would be compensated...they sent us a voucher for a free night to only be used at their hotel!!!! like we are really going to go back!!! it gave us a laugh if anything. Thank you for the review though...we are just back from POP century and nearlt book Nick..Im glad we didnt now.

:rotfl:

I've never read anything so funny! I'm really sorry you had a rotten time there, but thanks for the laugh (and at 8 1/2 mo pregnant, I'm just glad my water didn't break with all my laughing!)

Maybe if you write a letter to them, they'll give you a coupon for a free stay - I'm sure it's just what you want!

I'm glad you wrote this though - I've been toying with the idea of taking DS there next spring. I think I'll pass now - things like peach guts totally freak me out.

wow, thanks for all the comments on how funny my review was. I really appreciate it. It's funny to me too... NOW! ;) Peach guts weren't so funny then!

Sorry about your bad luck and thanks for your report!

I swang (is that a word?) by the property while down on business last year thinking it might be worth a few nights stay just so our boys could enjoy the water park and the place looked like a total dive to me, so we skipped it and booked at Horizons instead.

We're just now thinking about our next vaca to WDW and thought maybe we should do 3 nights at Nick and 4 nights on-site somewhere (we've never stayed on-property at WDW before), but after your review, I think we'll head back to either Horizons, Grande Vista, or maybe CH.

On the bright side, this property (in its current incarnation) is not long for this world, as Marriott and Nick have entered into a long-term marketing arrangement. It's not clear what's going to happen to this particular property in Orlando, but I will feel much better taking my family to a Nick property run by Marriott in the future.

http://www.marriott.com/news/detail.mi?marrArticle=172235

Nickelodeon and Marriott International Enter into Global Partnership to Create new Branded Hotel Experience

- 20 New Resorts Around the World Expected by 2020
- First Hotel Expected to Open in San Diego in 2010

The first “Nickelodeon Resorts by Marriott” property is expected to be a 650-room resort at Liberty Station in San Diego, which will incorporate a 100,000 square-foot water park and activity deck complex featuring a variety of pools and interactive attractions. Designed by Gensler, the well-known international architectural firm, the resort is expected to break ground in January 2008 and open in early 2010. Other potential resort locations being considered for development include major family-oriented destinations in the U.S., Caribbean and Mexican resort areas, the UK and Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East.

A signature component to each resort will be a wide variety of attractions ranging from state-of-the-art pools and water features (indoor water parks will be featured elements in cooler destination markets), plus live entertainment programs featuring popular costumed Nickelodeon characters like Dora the Explorer and SpongeBob SquarePants. “Studio Nick,” a main stage theater space equipped with state-of-the-art lighting, sound and video will anchor the resorts’ live entertainment programs. Studio Nick’s innovative design will allow the resort to concurrently stage several different full-scale live productions for resort guests, and will also provide an unparalleled platform for daytime meeting events.

Resort guests will be pampered with convenient and luxurious onsite vacation services including a full service spa and fitness center, a variety of quality dining and lounge options, private poolside cabanas and an “adults only” lap pool. The hotels will also include meeting space and comprehensive business services designed to accommodate and appeal to group business. Group events will be managed by Marriott’s professional meeting planners and the destination will offer facilities accommodating two 300-person groups, and incorporating, on average, 30,000 square feet of meeting space. During non-group meeting periods, these facilities will host “Nick after Dark” events, as well as themed parties.

Each individual “Nickelodeon Resorts by Marriott” will feature guest rooms and suites that cater to the unique needs of families including multi-bedroom suites, HDTV’s and Marriott’s new signature “plug in” technology. Pleasantly styled “kids’ suites” will be themed with Nick’s most popular hit properties creating an environment that kids will call home while staying at the resort.

In addition to a variety of restaurant options, the “NickToons Café” will provide a casual and friendly environment—the ideal setting for daily “character” breakfasts as well as special evenings. Buffet options and simple menu items will also be available, as well as a bustling “grab & go” area hosting chain food vendors offering a variety of meal choices, including healthy food options, and an on site convenience store for guests on the move.

Your review came just in time. :worship: We're adding an additional night to our trip next month (difference between Sunday and Monday airfare is much more than hotel/food for another day!) and was considering leaving WDW so the kids could have fun at Nick. I think we'll just stick with a waterpark or hanging around our resort pool. THANKS for sharing your experience!

I'll be highly interested in hearing about the new Marriott Nick hotels. Crossing my fingers there will be one close enough to us.

Thanks for your post and candidness .... but I will still give the Nick Hotel a try. We are booked at Nick for 1 night (at first I booked at a government rate for $135 per night but I just got an even better rate at $79 per night) for Aug. 22nd and then we are off to Disney World's AKL for several nights. I read so many reviews on this board and other boards and yes it's mixed but mostly positive. I know my kids will love it ..and so I think it's worth it ...for just 1 night at $79 ...now if it was costing me over $200 per night ...I would not stay. Remember everyone - people have positive and negative experiences for all hotels ... I can't ever remember reading posts where everyone liked (or for that matter ..disliked) a particular hotel - keep that in mind.

I hope you have a better experience than we did, obviously they must have some good days/good service because the place was packed. And if had been only paying 79 dollars a night, I might have been less annoyed by the service... or in this case, lack thereof. I did try to stick to the facts, but that might have led to a more boring report. We love the Marriott brand and hopefully they will pick up where this hotel is lacking, imo.

We are at the Nick now 25-26. We left a day early on our Disney Trip to check it out. We had no problems at all. Got here at 12:00 and room was ready at 2:30. We are in building 8 and were able to park directly out front. The pools were a lttle busy but not bad. I counted about 8 towels on the ground. I didn't see any food on the ground. Maybe they read your post and took care of all the problems. Sorry you had a rotten time.

Sorry for your bad experience. But want to give hope to those who already have reservations.

We went for 2 nights back in Nov (obviously not as crowded as it is now) - dh, me and kids ds6 and dd5. One thing we did not appreciate was being told on arrival that due to rehab - one ENTIRE pool area was closed. But, due to that we were upgraded to a 2 BR bunkbed suite for the same price. So that was great.

Room, I agree - MUCH smaller than I expected. Would have been really tight with 6 people in there. Maybe I liked it so much because we did not do WDW on the days we stayed here - we treated it like our vacation spot for those 2 nights. We went to Publix and bought a bunch of groceries and didn't leave the place for 2 full days. We loved having the kitchen and loved that we could bring a fully stocked cooler to the poolside with us every day. We had lunch out of our cooler each day - and snacks and drinks too.

I agree on the 'extra' fees - way out of control. Although we did do one of the free shows - cute and wasted some time but wouldn't go again.

Kids loved the slides and pool - I loved that when I needed a break I could sit in a chair at the bottom of the slides and watch them the whole time.

We also enjoyed the mini-golf (although it was in need of some rehab - only like 5 clubs and maybe 4 balls, so you had to wait for a turn) - it is free, after all - so worth that price.

So - we really enjoyed our experience. However, we got a deal for $99 per night with no resort fee - so that might have affected our overall impressions.

My rule of thumb is that this place is worth it IF you find a good enough deal. But I wouldn't pay full price.

This was our first stay at the Nick Hotel... and definitely the last! Holy overpriced value resort! I should have run fast and swift when we drove up and there was a line to check in a mile long. It literally took us 40 minutes to get up to the counter. When we finally were able to check in, the agent who helped us (Kevin), was a doll. Helpful, quick, and very pleasant. We got a room right next to the pool (not the main pool) on the first floor and it was ready. I started to think it wouldn't be so bad.

I was wrong ;)

Then we tried to find a parking spot. I think my car might be in the Epcot parking lot.

The rooms are much smaller than they appear on the website, but still good. The kids had wanted Fairly Odd Parents and we got that. Points scored. The room was clean and had TVs in both bedrooms and the living room. Points scored. Clean! Points scored.

We drop our stuff and head out to the pool. The pools were MOBBED. I mean more than I have EVER seen ANYWHERE! I could barely see water! Seriously. Then the filth. OH.MY.GOD. Dirty towels everywhere, food on the ground and all over the tables. I stepped on something slimy, I think it was a peach slice. GROSS. I realize guests should clean up after themselves, including towel return. But when they don't it should be rectified by some staff member! The kids swim for awhile, and I have to say they loved both pool areas totally. My husband was having a stroke about how crowded it was, I told him sweetly "you get what you pay for" (of course *I* had wanted to stay at our usual spot... the Polynesian!... points scored... for me!)

We go back to the room and take quick showers and head out to visit my DH's grandpa who was in the hospital in Tampa. When we got back around 11pm (and dropped our car back at the Epcot lot, what is up with this parking???), I went to make up the pullout couch. Uh... where are the sheets... and the pillows? Then I look on the master bed... hey! no blanket here either. WTH? Call the front desk and they ask me... "you really have no linen?" Why no, of course I do, I was bored at 11:30pm and decided to play a late April Fool's Joke on you.... NO, I don't have linen, tyvm!

The next day we leave the hotel at 9am to go to Epcot (to visit our car... no seriously, we did go to Epcot). Spent a few hours there til early afternoon and then headed back to use the pool. HEY.... we got a parking spot! AWESOME!! HEY! Not many people at the pool! AWESOME! HEY!... the pool near our room is closed... are you &*)&*(&*(& kidding me? It's 95 degrees out and 4pm! And our room still hasn't been cleaned either. They must be on the way, I mean it's almost 5pm by now, right? Right.

Whatever, the kids will swim at the main pool, I can deal. Speaking of that, I got a GREAT foot massage for only like 15 dollars, and the girl was awesome. Her and Kevin were the bright spots!

BTW, the pool areas were still filthy with old food boxes, old food, and wet towels everywhere. I did see many pool attendants hanging out at the clean towel pickup having a lovely social gathering. Whatever, I wouldn't want to clean that crap up either, but that's why I went to college. Just sayin'.

Okay, swim for an hour and head back to the room to shower with nice clean towels... what? Where are our towels? This can't be them in a nice pile on the floor of the bathroom where we left them this morning, along with a nice 5 dollar tip for our housekeeper? Oh but they are. Great, no service still at SIX PM. When exactly will they service our room? While we're sleeping? It would save time on bedmaking, I suppose, if we are actually IN them.

I call down to the desk and like 30 seconds later there is a knock on the door. FINALLY! Good service! Nope, coincidence, it's the housekeeper here to clean our room. At SIX PM while half my family is naked. Okay, so can we just have the towels? Then she asks me to sign that I refuse service. Are you kidding me? I"VE BEEN TRYING TO GET SERVICE AT THIS HOTEL FOR TWO DAYS NOW! Whatever, give me my towels, now half my family is naked AND wet! CheeseAndRice lady!

30 more minutes go by and everyone is ready for dinner, so we're just about to go and here comes a knock on the door. It's the towels I called for earlier. Great, thanks.so.much.

Fast forward through the night of Disney magic at the MK and CM's for dinner, followed by our last viewing of Wishes and my tearful (as always) exit from the park for.the.last.time. Well not the last time EVER, I'm being melodramatic (I bet you couldn't tell that about me). Just the last time this trip.

We get up in the morning EARLY because some idiot!!! (me!) booked us on an 8:45am flight from MCO to Hartford. Was I thinking we'd need to be at the airport two hours earlier? No I was not. So there. Anyhow... my DH, great guy that he is, got up first and took a shower. And I notice his teeth chattering and a slightly blue tinge to his tan. What's up with that? "honey? there's no hot water, I hate to tell you" OH NO HE DIDN"T!

I'm now enraged. Not only do I have to leave the Disney Magic! and go home, and some idiot (me!) booked us on a waytooearly flight... but I have a cold shower? Oh no way Jose! (and not that fabulous sundae from Beaches and Cream either).

The lady who answered actually said "well when it's this under booked (WHAT? who were all those people in the pools?) we sometimes don't have the hot water on this early." I literally lost it. I stated how this was just the icing on the cake and she asks me "well everything wasn't horrible, was it?" Nearly lady, NEARLY! She was a TOOL with all caps, just like that. I mean really.

This place downright sucked. And really, I'm not picky. We've stayed at HoJos and Motel 6's. We've vacationed in Wildwood (so you know I'm not picky now!). But really, hot water and linens are too much to expect? Especially when you have to shower peach guts off your feet?

Notice I did not mention all the cool activities they promote on their website. Yeah, that's because we didn't do any. 25 dollars for this 25 dollars for that 25 dollars for this. Peach guts were free, along with any assorted rubbish you wished to rummage through poolside.

The upside is that the kids thought the place was "cool". Great. I'm glad they liked it, it's their only shot til the take themselves there when they grow up.

OMG! I couldn't stop laughing from the minute I started reading this! You are just tooooo funny! :laughing: Seriously. Thanks for the review. We've seen this place countless times driving in and my son has always been bummed out when we've kept on truckin' right by and headed on to whatever WDW resort we had booked. I almost booked a one night stay there last December and I'm sooooo glad I didn't. You wrote an excellent (and HILARRY-YUS) review. I'm just sayin'.

I was wrong ;)

OMG! I couldn't stop laughing from the minute I started reading this! You are just tooooo funny! :laughing: Seriously. Thanks for the review. We've seen this place countless times driving in and my son has always been bummed out when we've kept on truckin' right by and headed on to whatever WDW resort we had booked. I almost booked a one night stay there last December and I'm sooooo glad I didn't. You wrote an excellent (and HILARRY-YUS) review. I'm just sayin'.

Love your review!

We have stayed there for a week when it was the Holiday Inn Family Suites and we loved it.

We stayed there 1 night when it changed over to the Nick Hotel - my DS loved it at the time but never again - it also took us forever to get checked in, the pool was so crowded and dirty.

They had to close the pool 2 times not once but twice for poop in the pool!

Love your review!

We have stayed there for a week when it was the Holiday Inn Family Suites and we loved it.

We stayed there 1 night when it changed over to the Nick Hotel - my DS loved it at the time but never again - it also took us forever to get checked in, the pool was so crowded and dirty.

They had to close the pool 2 times not once but twice for poop in the pool!

that last line made me cringe. DBF wants to stay here on our trip next year. From reading the reviews, I seriously doubt two freshly engaged persons in their early early twenties are going to enjoy it here at all. He thinks it'll be a blast... I think otherwise.

And when they closed the pool they had to close it a couple of hours later - I think maybe a whole hour went by before they closed it again!

this wa sa great review, i cant stop laughing!! Thank you so much for sharing, and glad we decided to add an extra day at disney and not nick!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter