Newport Beach vs. La Jolla – help me decide

AlohaNow

DIS Veteran
We are looking to book our fall break trip and have the choices down to renting a house in either La Jolla or Newport Beach. What are the swimmable beach options near each? We’ll be there in mid-October and my guys might enjoy a surfing lesson. Is Newport Beach more built up than La Jolla? All the beachy rentals seem to be right by the pier, and I’m not fully familiar with that area. One of the Catalina ferries goes from there, so that would be convenient for a day trip. If we did La Jolla we’d hit the SD Zoo, as we’ve never been there before. Just not sure what else might appeal to two teen boys! We’d be happy to hang out at the beach, or maybe rent SUP or a small boat in the San Diego area. Just looking for thoughts from folks who are familiar with the area. Thanks!

In La Jolla, you have La Jolla shores for the typical beach with wading/swimming/surfing. You can snorkel at the underwater park at the Cove. There are lots of seals and sea lions in the area. While there are tidepools, I haven't found them to be very good compared to other places.

I haven't been to the beach in Newport Beach in years, but I remember it as being more of what a typical beach would be for California. A boardwalk and lots of little shops/places to eat all lined up.

FWIW, the last time I went to Catalina, it was such a dud that I can't imagine ever going out of my way to go there again.

While October can be hot, it can also be cool enough to keep people out of the water. You can rent wetsuits if you need to from surf shops near any popular beach. As far as renting a house for a beach vacation, I don't think you can go wrong with either location. You may want to think about what other activities you'd want to do that are close such as would you rather go to the San Diego Zoo or go to Catalina Island? If you stay in Newport, you'll be somewhat near the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary in Long Beach, which could be another day trip.

Thanks so much for the details @cruisehopeful! We've made the decision to go with Newport Beach. San Diego airfare moved against me yesterday, and SNA airfare actually got better! In case anyone ever searches for Newport info in the future and finds this thread, the Visit Newport Beach website is wonderful. I used it to find vacation rentals and ended up seeing the same places I saw on VRBO, but for slightly cheaper because of renting direct. We grabbed a cute 2nd floor unit on the channel side, but still only a four minute walk from the beach. Thank you for the info on Catalina, we may skip it. In looking around the area, I think we may stick with the laid back beach vibe and not even include a day at DLR in our trip! We'll see. We spent a great day at Crystal Cove a few years ago, which is what inspired this trip, and definitely want to go spend some time there again. Here's to hoping for relatively warm water temps!

You're not going to get warm water temps in October. If it is 70 degrees, you will be very very lucky. It's currently about 65 degrees and it won't get warmer as we approach fall. It's been a cold summer, relatively speaking. Bring a wetsuit if you expect to go surfing...they will be needed.

October can be warm or cool, so have some backup activities planned in case it's not warm enough for the beach every day.

I live adjacent to Newport Beach and go throughout the year. We only get in the water July-mid September.

Agree on the water temps, it will be cold in October so definitely rent wetsuits if you do surfing lessons. We go to Newport all the time and have rented a house there a couple times. My teenage boys love it and will spend all day surfing, boogie boarding, playing volleyball and paddleball, etc., though by October it's too cold for me (especially by evening) so have back up activities. Their favorite place to eat is the Pipeline (take out counter) by the pier for corndogs and ice cream. Balboa Funzone is cheezy but fun for the kids. Rent bikes and ride up to Huntington for another classic CA beach. I would also consider passing on Catalina, it's great if you're going camping or hiking but just for sightseeing in Avalon its underwhelming. Whale watching is cool if your kids are into that kind of thing (less whales in fall but the blue whales are migrating and there are always lots of dolphins) or just a sunset cruise.

Agree on the water temps, it will be cold in October so definitely rent wetsuits if you do surfing lessons. We go to Newport all the time and have rented a house there a couple times. My teenage boys love it and will spend all day surfing, boogie boarding, playing volleyball and paddleball, etc., though by October it's too cold for me (especially by evening) so have back up activities. Their favorite place to eat is the Pipeline (take out counter) by the pier for corndogs and ice cream. Balboa Funzone is cheezy but fun for the kids. Rent bikes and ride up to Huntington for another classic CA beach. I would also consider passing on Catalina, it's great if you're going camping or hiking but just for sightseeing in Avalon its underwhelming. Whale watching is cool if your kids are into that kind of thing (less whales in fall but the blue whales are migrating and there are always lots of dolphins) or just a sunset cruise.

The Pipeline also has Dole Whip Pineapple!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter