Newbies thinking about a DCL Mexico cruise

Jenene

Mouseketeer

Hello, We are just now thinking about taking our three kids 11, 9 & 7 on a cruise, the Jan. 2nd, 2012 to Mexico on the Wonder. I just have a few questions for anyone who may want to answer. Thank you if so.

Has anyone traveled to Mexico in January? how is the weather?
Did you find the 6 day cruise too short?
Were the ports interesting for younger kids?

Do we need to book right away? Do they get booked up quickly?
My husband and I have taken one cruise without our kids on HAL. It was nice and we loved it, but we are big Disney Fans, been to the World and the Land many times...Engaged 15 years ago at Disneyland, Mickeys house :)
So it seems natural to go on a DC. From all the blogs and I have checked out many of yours... lovin this website!!
it looks great! I am just concerned we will be sorry we didn't go for the cruises that go to the Castaway Island.

Thanks for any help you can offer for my questions.:cutie:

We are going on the MR in two weeks so I will let you know what the weather is like. :D

Seeing as you are big Disney fans, I say go for it. We plan to take a cruise eventually that goes to Castaway Cay, but honestly I just wanted to be on the cruise itself and until the Wonder came to the west coast the airfare was just too prohibitive. Also, there's always a chance that the cruise will skip CC due to weather concerns, so having CC be your sole reason for deciding on one itinerary over another is just begging for disappointment, IMHO. :D

Our first cruise to Mexico on the Magic in 2005 was perfect! We didn't care there was no private island as it was our first cruise and didn't know what to expect anyway. The weather is so nice there in Jan. and Feb. I just checked again this week and sunny 77-80.

Thanks for replying so quick! I am so excited from all I hear, and my princesses and pirate will love the trip no matter what. Do these trips get booked up quickly?

Thanks for replying so quick! I am so excited from all I hear, and my princesses and pirate will love the trip no matter what. Do these trips get booked up quickly?

I don't know that you need to worry as much about the ship being totally booked this far out as much as you need to worry about the fact that the prices will go up as the ship fills. If you are pretty certain that you want to go, and you are not booking a suite (where the deposit is nonrefundable), your worst case scenario is that you are giving DCL an interest free loan for your deposit if you need to cancel later. If finances allow booking now, this can save some money. Sometimes the price increases can be pretty steep as the ship fills, sometimes they are not as terrible.

For the kids, Puerto Vallarta is a water sports Mecca. If your kids are into active excursions, this place is great. Mazatlan, in my opinion, had a bit less kid appeal. We used this as our Castaway Cay replacement day. We booked a beach excursion and just lounged out. Cabo is stunningly beautiful and also has the usual smattering of excursions. I went scuba diving in Cabo, and would NOT recommend scuba or snorkeling in Cabo. Water is cold, visibility is not great. Its not that I didn't have fun, I just would probably have been better off above ground. Cabo is also a great place to introduce the little ones to Tequila (KIDDING -- seeing is you were paying attention!). But seriously, Cabo would be good to have an excursion with the kids, and perhaps a little adult time if this is a priority for you. I have three kids (all younger than yours). We had a great time, but being unable to give them tequila, we certainly needed some from time to time with three kids in one stateroom!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter