Newbie to SWA

" SWA planes are consistently on time and sit at the gate much less time than the other majors. I find SWA to be more kid friendly in the sky than any of the major airlines."

And you might get a pilot (or two) in his underpants! LOL!

We have flown 4 times in the past two years. Other companies were very comparable in price (except last June with the companion flies free program). But we like SWA. At BDL the preboarding areas were easy to see, a small hallway and there were seats. Also, the areas for A, B, and C were clearly roped off. We didnt notice a lot of craziness for preboarding... except there were a few ppl who waited in the roped lines for about an hour just to be the first on the planes... other than that it was very easy! Steph

I fly alot on SWA. I earned 6 free rapid rewards tickets in the past year on SWA if this gives you any indication of my frequency on SWA. I also flew over 100,000 miles on Continental in the last year as well. SWA doesn't fly internationally.:teeth: You would wonder how I ever work doing this much time sitting on planes. I can tell you that SWA is much better for kids even with the "pre board madness" that happens. Don't let this deter you. All airlines flying into MCO have issues with the family seating requests. At the end of the day it all works out. Don't let the idea of not having pre assigned seats turn you away from SWA. Pre assigned seats get screwed up ALL the time on the other airlines, so don't think that flying a major will solve this problem. go with the flow it's vacation after all.

Originally posted by megnsamsgrace
Have you flown out of BDL? Do you know what their preboarding rules are? I have flown with them 4 times in the past 2 years! They have plenty of room for preboarding and I have preboarded EACH and EVERY time. I would be more than glad to let all those seniors (or disabled) who need to preboard do so before me. BUT I do have 4 children that I put in their car seats for safety reasons. It gives me plenty of time to buckle EACH seat correctly when we fly. I am NOT taking advantage of the system by no means! But when I am flying with 4 children (6, 4, 2 and 2m when we go again in October) I will by all rights expect to preboard. If its just me and the baby or the 2 y/o then fine, but I will try and save seats for all of us to sit together. There is no reason for you to get nasty with me... I know that MCO is a CHILD route for the most part but with all the times I have flown with SWA I have ALWAYS been told over the phone about preboarding and telling me my family "qualifies". I am not expecting to preboard because of my dad being a senior but because of my children. Every time I have flown SWA (to MCO AND on return flights) I have always seen families kept together, not once (on 8 flights total) have I seen families separated. This OP is flying out of the SAME airport I do so I am giving my experience with THIS airport! Stephanie

People with disabilities or special needs always preboard before families with little ones. Only the immediate family of people with children are allowed to preboard (immediate meaning mom, dad, and sibs, not grandparents, cousins, uncles or aunts). They made that completely clear more than once in both BDL and MCO.
I have seen them not preboard families with children at BDL, guess it depends on the time of year. I have also, NEVER seen them NOT preboard families with children out of MCO.

This is the "official" word on this from the SWA website.

Southwest Airlines Checkin and Boarding Procedure
Southwest Airlines' Customers will need valid state or federal government-issued picture identification to travel (passport, driver's license, state-issued identification card, or military identification are acceptable).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checkin Procedure
Customers may check in for their flight and receive their boarding pass and Rapid Rewards credit at the Skycap Podium (in select locations), Ticket Counter, Departure Gate, or RAPID CHECK-IN Kiosk (where available).

Customers may check luggage and receive boarding passes at the Skycap Counter (in select locations) or Ticket Counter up to four hours prior to scheduled departure.

To determine the best time to check in for your flight, please refer to the Airport Arrival chart. The Departure Gate opens for checkin and boading pass distribution one hour prior to departure.

At 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure you can get a boarding pass only at the Departure Gate.

Customers checking in less than 10 minutes before scheduled departure may lose their confirmed reservation and will not be eligible for denied boarding compensation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boarding Procedure
Each Customer will be issued a boarding pass grouped by A, B, or C (in that order) based on when the Customer checked in at the Skycap Counter, Ticket Counter, Departure Gate, or RAPID CHECK-IN Kiosk (where available).

Prior to general boarding, Customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, and families with small children will preboard. Customers holding boarding pass "A" will begin general boarding, followed by Customers with boarding pass "B," and then "C."

Because Southwest Airlines maintains an open-seating policy, Customers may sit in any open or unclaimed seat. Customers who choose a seat in an emergency exit row must meet all requirements set forth by the Federal Aviation Administration and Southwest Airlines.
Additional information on Automated Boarding Pass

Originally posted by prncess674
SWA is a wonderful airline. Don't let all the "sky is falling" talk around here disuade you from flying SWA. if you read through prior posts on Delta you will find people who are fuming because they couldn't get assigned seats together even at 6 months out. No one airline is going to make everyone happy.

Since you can fly non stop to MCO on SWA I highly recommend this over flying Delta with a connection.

Get to the airport approximately 2 hours early and you will have no problem finding two sets of two seats. The boarding area for SWA may look a bit disorganized but they are incredibly efficient in moving people around. SWA planes are consistently on time and sit at the gate much less time than the other majors. I find SWA to be more kid friendly in the sky than any of the major airlines.

I completely agree!!! I used to swear by Delta, but, SWA has captured my business and my heart!!!! Delta no longer allows any preboarding for children. I think SWA is THE ONLY airline not switching everything every 10 minutes. I will take on time, friendly, fun, decent airfares over an assigned seat any day. People are nice, they will accomodate people with little kids whenever possible.

I have also, NEVER seen them NOT preboard families with children out of MCO.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't meant it doesn't happen. I HAVE seen it! I have seen several permutations on the rule. I have seen where family with children under 4 may board. I have also seen where only family's travelling with an infant travelling in his own purchased seat with a car seat may preboard. I have seen a flight with no preboards allowed except disabled passengers. I flew over 50 (yes that does say fifty) flights on SWA within the last year and feel I am very well informed with their procedures.

The good thing about flying into/out of MCO is that is almost all families and other families won't mind slight rearrangement so everyone can sit with their family.

Originally posted by prncess674
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't meant it doesn't happen. I HAVE seen it! I have seen several permutations on the rule. I have seen where family with children under 4 may board. I have also seen where only family's travelling with an infant travelling in his own purchased seat with a car seat may preboard. I have seen a flight with no preboards allowed except disabled passengers. I flew over 50 (yes that does say fifty) flights on SWA within the last year and feel I am very well informed with their procedures.

The good thing about flying into/out of MCO is that is almost all families and other families won't mind slight rearrangement so everyone can sit with their family.

I did not say it does not happen, I was purely relating my experiences. You need to chill here and stop attacking everyone that has not had your extensive experiences. Better that you should take all the information and catalog it to add to your expertise. I read their website, fly often and observe everything, I believe that makes me well informed also. I do know they will accomodate you whenever possible.

Last night I had the "pleasure" of flying Delta in Atlanta. As I dealt with this mess, I had the thougth "I wish I was on SW" I think that says it all. And let me say that I am a Gold level frequent flyer with Delta, my Grandfather retired from Delta as high level manager and his great job and generosity gave me many wonderful things that I owe to Delta. I figure he is rolling in his grave LOL!

Just to deal with gate agents and flight attendants who seem to enjoy their work makes the whole thing so much nicer. (Of course if Atlanta could afford to turn the air conditioner on in the Atlanta airport, that would help!) That place was a sauna last night!

I have never understood the people on SW who stampede on. I see them lined up an hour before boarding. I wait until they call my group and guess what I walk on and have ALWAYS found a seat! The SW flight attendants are very nice and will work with you to make sure small children are not sitting alone.

Have fun.

Flying out of Providence on SWA this Sunday morning. First time on SWA and first time on a plane in over 10 years. I can hardly wait....even if I have to stuff the kids in the overhead compartments we're going to Disney!!!

Seriously we will get to airport approximately 90 minutes prior to the flight, intend on taking advantage of curbside check in, less to carry the better. But I do have one question. After curbside check in and we pass through security (is that the routine??) will we be able to get the kids something to eat or drink?? Being stuck in the overhead bins for the 3 hour flight down, I don't want to hear whining about hungery or thirsty! :jester:

Out of BDL yes we could. We didnt do curbside check in. So we went to the gate, got our boarding passes and checked our luggage. Then we went through security and did check in at that gate. The kids had to go to the bathroom so we just left that area (DH stayed with the baby) and went to the bathroom and grabbed a bite to eat. We just had to show our boarding passes and go through security again (it took us about 2 minutes to go through since we didnt have anything on us).... HTH, Steph

Originally posted by genetic jackhammer
Flying out of Providence on SWA this Sunday morning. First time on SWA and first time on a plane in over 10 years. I can hardly wait....even if I have to stuff the kids in the overhead compartments we're going to Disney!!!

Seriously we will get to airport approximately 90 minutes prior to the flight, intend on taking advantage of curbside check in, less to carry the better. But I do have one question. After curbside check in and we pass through security (is that the routine??) will we be able to get the kids something to eat or drink?? Being stuck in the overhead bins for the 3 hour flight down, I don't want to hear whining about hungery or thirsty! :jester:

I am not sure whether SWA flys out of the North or South concourse but I went to the PVD Airport webpage and looked at the food selections. See link below. The selections look rather limited for food and beverage beyond security. I recommend bringing along your own individually wrapped snacks and bottled water from home or at a minimum stop at a convenience store before heading to the airport. Airport snacks are always very pricey.

http://www.pvdairport.com/dining_shopping/food.htm

I assume you are on the nonstop fly to MCO at 8:25AM. Many restaurants and establishments may not be open on Sunday morning at 7AM because this is such a slow time at most airports. Also be forwarned that your flight is sold out so be prepared for a full flight. Have a great vacation!

Once you check your baggage with curbside check in you will receive your boarding cards right then and there from the curb side check in agent. You will not need to recheckin at the gate. If security doesn't look too long you could grab a bite to eat before entering security. It appears from the webpage there is more selection in the pre security area.

As a reminder take all keys, cellphones, sunglasses off of your person and place in your carryon bag before heading through security. All of these items may set off the metal detector which would send you to the additional security screening penalty box which is the last thing you want to be doing with kids in tow.

Originally posted by genetic jackhammer

There is a Dunkin Doughnuts right by your gate/jetway.

Just make sure the coffee is not too hot, could be painful if they spilled it on themselves in the overhead. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter