newbie to camping and fort wilderness - with toddlers - lots of questions! :)

We did a tent trip to FW last November. Our kids were 3 and 1. What really helped us was bringing a 'camp kitchen' table with a built-in sink, along with a separate dining tent. The table folds flat for storage, then you assemble the sink hardware on site:

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/portable-camp-fish-cleaning-table-with-faucet-small

With little ones, having running water easily available at the site was great. For cooking we picked up a cheap two-burner electric range-top for around $20. We did grill chicken once, with the on-site grill (bring foil for that).

We also brought a mini-fridge and air mattresses for everyone. Our son was in a pack-and-play at the time.

The main tent - make sure you get cheap tarps for under the tent, as a moisture barrier. If you don't, its likely the underside of your tent floor is going to be a mess when you tear down.

In general, load for bear! We packed a large SUV full to the gills, and wound up using nearly everything we brought. Make a master packing list.

We stayed in the 1500 loop last month (in a pop-up this time). Its a great loop and very close to the pool. We were in the 2000 loop when we tented, and I feel the sites are a little larger in 1500. Its a mile from the horse farm to Wilderness Lodge.

We did a tent trip to FW last November. Our kids were 3 and 1. What really helped us was bringing a 'camp kitchen' table with a built-in sink, along with a separate dining tent. The table folds flat for storage, then you assemble the sink hardware on site:

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/portable-camp-fish-cleaning-table-with-faucet-small

With little ones, having running water easily available at the site was great. For cooking we picked up a cheap two-burner electric range-top for around $20. We did grill chicken once, with the on-site grill (bring foil for that).

We also brought a mini-fridge and air mattresses for everyone. Our son was in a pack-and-play at the time.

The main tent - make sure you get cheap tarps for under the tent, as a moisture barrier. If you don't, its likely the underside of your tent floor is going to be a mess when you tear down.

In general, load for bear! We packed a large SUV full to the gills, and wound up using nearly everything we brought. Make a master packing list.

We stayed in the 1500 loop last month (in a pop-up this time). Its a great loop and very close to the pool. We were in the 2000 loop when we tented, and I feel the sites are a little larger in 1500. Its a mile from the horse farm to Wilderness Lodge.

I love your ideas. We'd love to get a camp kitchen and mini fridge (and heck, even a microwave) to take with us in the future. We just have a honda element so don't have a TON of packing space for all that. We will be using the crock pot, camping grill, and we have a one burner camping stove for now. :thumbsup2

You know I don't even know if I could camp using electricity. I think we did it once growing up and just brought a fan. :confused3

haha - a fan is a necessity for us. and now I am seeing that people actually hookup a/c units to their tents! genius! now that's the way to camp in Florida! :rotfl2:

the fan is the main reason we require electricity for camping. We know we'd be miserable without it - and the battery fan just doesn't seem to cut it. the crockpot will be really nice to use too though!

I love your ideas. We'd love to get a camp kitchen and mini fridge (and heck, even a microwave) to take with us in the future. We just have a honda element so don't have a TON of packing space for all that. We will be using the crock pot, camping grill, and we have a one burner camping stove for now. :thumbsup2

Well, there are collapsible sinks like this:

http://www.coleman.com/product/fold.../2000006863?contextCategory=5150#.UZUxjUrogv4

We really liked having a separate kitchen/dining tent. It had no floor and went up very easily - there are many out there to choose from. Gave us a little privacy when cooking, eating, and washing up at night. We didn't feel as 'exposed'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter