Newbie Question - DVC stay in villas only?

DrKnow

Earning My Ears
OK, I know this is a stupid question for the DVC people in the know.... but here goes...

If I buy into DVC, do I have to stay at one of the DVC villa resorts? I understand the concept of Home Resort (11 months vs 7 months), etc., but lets say I just want to stay in a studio at the WL (non-villa), can I do that? Or even a moderate /value resort? Does it matter if I buy direct or resale?

Thanks! :cool2:

You can use DVC points to stay at non-DVC resorts. However, it usually doesn't work out to your advantage considering the value of your points and how many are needed for the different resorts.

Disney's Polynesian Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Port Orleans Resorts – French Quarter
Disney's Port Orleans Resorts – Riverside
Disney's Yacht Club Resort
The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort

Are the WDW resorts where you can book with expensive DVC points.

:earsboy: Bill

You can stay at any DVC property in any room type as long as there is availability(and you have the points)

To use points to stay at regular room would be insane. I do not have my member guide near me, but you can basically get a value room for one night for the same rate you get a deluxe studio.

I think the exchange rate is to "stick it" to people who have to cancel their reservations within 31 days.

For example, I am staying 8 nights with points at the VGF in December. If I used points converted to get that room, I could not even get 3 nights.

disneynutz said:

Notice that Grand Floridian isn't on that list. When DVC builds rooms at a particular resort, the option to use DVC points to book a traditional room goes away.

Notice that Grand Floridian isn't on that list. When DVC builds rooms at a particular resort, the option to use DVC points to book a traditional room goes away.

Interesting.

My member guide had the GF in it, but I am sure it has not been reprinted. I think it was like 60 points per night for a GF room, and I said "WHATTTTT?????????"

Shouldn't this read "The even MORE expensive direct DVC points" since you can't use resale points for these, right?

Shouldn't this read "The even MORE expensive direct DVC points" since you can't use resale points for these, right?

Yeah, thats part of my question. If I buy resale, do I even have the option of staying at (for example) The Yacht Club or Coronado Springs? I know its not cost effective, but curious if its possible. Thanks!

Interesting.

My member guide had the GF in it, but I am sure it has not been reprinted. I think it was like 60 points per night for a GF room, and I said "WHATTTTT?????????"

Exactly. This is the crux of the disagreement between those who emphasize value and those who say they want to be able to use their points any way they want. Your standard 160 point contract will get you two nights in that GF room. It might get you one or two people on a cruise depending on your dates, stateroom category and your ability to bank and borrow. It won't even get you close to 90% of the Adventures by Disney trips even by using three year's worth of points. Yet for some reason, people don't see to care.

Yeah, thats part of my question. If I buy resale, do I even have the option of staying at (for example) The Yacht Club or Coronado Springs? I know its not cost effective, but curious if its possible. Thanks!

Yes, you do have the option of staying there. You go online (or call) Disney directly and make a cash reservation. I say this tongue in cheek, hopefully you get my point. :)

Once you start staying in the DVC resorts, the extra room and cost savings helps make the cash resorts a distant memory. :goodvibes

OK, I know this is a stupid question for the DVC people in the know.... but here goes...

If I buy into DVC, do I have to stay at one of the DVC villa resorts? I understand the concept of Home Resort (11 months vs 7 months), etc., but lets say I just want to stay in a studio at the WL (non-villa), can I do that? Or even a moderate /value resort? Does it matter if I buy direct or resale?

Thanks! :cool2:

WL does not have studios. It has hotel rooms and suites. Only DVC resorts have studios which is one category of a villa.

An example on the points.

You can use 26 points for a weekend night in a studio at OKW (two queen beds, kitchenette, porch/patio, free access to washer/dryer) or 37 points for a water view room at Coronado Spring (two queen beds, no kitchenette, no porch/patio, no free access to washer/dryer). Or 43 points for a pirate themed room at Caribbean Beach Resort (two double beds with theming). Or 104 points for a Lagoon View at the Polynesian. One night around Christmas or Easter. You'd need to buy direct to be able to book these non-DVC rooms.

If you purchase resale, you will NOT be able to use your points for stays at any non-DVC resorts at WDW or DL - but you should also do your homework to see if you'd really want to do that anyway. ;)

No you don't resale are locked out of those resorts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter