New York Times Article on FP+ and "Magic Bands"

I thought it was interesting that it says "MyMagic+ will allow users of a new Web site and app — called My Disney Experience — to preselect three FastPasses before they leave home for rides or V.I.P. seating for parades, fireworks and character meet-and-greets."

So now the number is 3 for FP+?

missmary said:
I thought it was interesting that it says "MyMagic+ will allow users of a new Web site and app — called My Disney Experience — to preselect three FastPasses before they leave home for rides or V.I.P. seating for parades, fireworks and character meet-and-greets."

So now the number is 3 for FP+?

I wondered about that, too, and the fact that it doesn't specify anywhere that the FP+ component is only for guests staying at Disney hotels. Of course, they only got some fluff comments from the WDW chairman - no timeline or specifics were actually on the record. Still, it's another piece to add to the FP+ puzzle.

I read a speculation somewhere that the paper FP machines may not be available to those using Next Gen. That would put a cramp in our touring style because we make good use of FP (we get more than 3 each day) throughout our trip.

I read a speculation somewhere that the paper FP machines may not be available to those using Next Gen. That would put a cramp in our touring style because we make good use of FP (we get more than 3 each day) throughout our trip.

This is not speculation.

The terms and conditions of My Disney Experience state explicitly that if you use FP+, you can not use regular fastpass.

The reason: FP+ requires RFID tickets, but RFID tickets can not be used for regular fastpass.

For now, at least it is one or the other.

That big, red band is pretty ugly.

I wonder if this system allows you to park hop? If I want a Fast Pass from Epcot in the morning and MK at night, would that be allowed?

That big, red band is pretty ugly.

I wonder if this system allows you to park hop? If I want a Fast Pass from Epcot in the morning and MK at night, would that be allowed?

That's a good question. Perhaps if you bought hoppers, you would be allowed 3 FPs in a mix-and-match of parks. :confused3

This is not speculation.

The terms and conditions of My Disney Experience state explicitly that if you use FP+, you can not use regular fastpass.

The reason: FP+ requires RFID tickets, but RFID tickets can not be used for regular fastpass.

For now, at least it is one or the other.

I wonder if the old machines will be in use for off-site guests, or if all will get wristbands?

I'm not sure if on-site guests will have perks (perhaps extra FPs?), though it wouldn't surprise me. Rumor has it that they are trimming down free dining (nothing for value stays, quick service for mods and deluxes) and offering FP perks is a way to entice guests to stay onsite when the resort prices keep climbing and promotions such as FD are not as good as they once were.

I also wonder how this would work for those w/o smart phones and for international guests in the parks if they want to change a reservation or FP time.

I don't mind wearing a bracelet, but I do hope it's removable for showering and sleeping.

It'll be interesting to see what develops! We won't be at WDW until Sept., so hopefully by then the system will be up and running well.

That's a good question. Perhaps if you bought hoppers, you would be allowed 3 FPs in a mix-and-match of parks. :confused3

All FP+ reservations must be for the same park, on any given day.

So, you can still park hop, but all FP+, per day, must be in the same park.

This is from the MDE terms and conditions.

I would be disappointed as well, if we could not use regular, paper FP.

Is there going to be a choice? Which one we can use? Or if we are on-site, we have to use the FP+?

Noticed at the gates this weekend when an RFID card could not be read, the CM would call out Magic! A person with a clipboard and scanner would then read the card and mark something on the clipboard. Seems like Magic is the operative word for the RFID project. Lets just hope the don't roll it out during a holiday season like they did the website!!

This seems very cool and I am excited to hopefully use it when I go in November, HOWEVER I can't even link my package reservation to the new website so how can I schedule anything for it if the Disney website doesn't even recognize I am going to WDW. Fix your website Disney, then we'll talk.

*UPDATE* Logged into Disney website to TRY and link my reservation to the new site and when I went to the reservations page a pop-up came up and they automatically linked my reservation to my account for me. It's all there now, with dates for when I can make my ADR's and when I can do my online check-in (which is now 60 days out instead of 10)

We definitely need more than 3 fastpasses!

My DD was looking over my shoulder while I read this article - she said - "I don't want to wear that!" Ha!

So, with these bands, does that mean if my child gets lost they can just scan them and know she's mine and send me a text? :) Kind of makes me feel like we are all just walking bar codes. I def will not be using mine for purchases...Just because they require a pin for $50+ purchases, doesn't mean someone can't make 100 $49 purchases with no problem. Again, some things sound good, some bad, and some kind of freaky.

Read the article! It clearly states: "Guests will not be forced to use the MagicBand system, and people who do try it will decide how much information to share." However, I am sure they will eventually phase out the old FP system...

Just because they require a pin for $50+ purchases, doesn't mean someone can't make 100 $49 purchases with no problem.

A person would not be able to make 100 purchases of $49.........because Disney only 'authorizes' a particular amount of spending usage.

On my visit, it was $1,500 before I maxed-out my spending and needed additional authorization. Essentially, Disney needs to tap your credit card before you can spend more than $1,500. I'm sure you can have $0 charging privileges if you like.

Pixiedust34 said:
I wonder if the old machines will be in use for off-site guests, or if all will get wristbands?

I'm not sure if on-site guests will have perks (perhaps extra FPs?), though it wouldn't surprise me. Rumor has it that they are trimming down free dining (nothing for value stays, quick service for mods and deluxes) and offering FP perks is a way to entice guests to stay onsite when the resort prices keep climbing and promotions such as FD are not as good as they once were.

I also wonder how this would work for those w/o smart phones and for international guests in the parks if they want to change a reservation or FP time.

I don't mind wearing a bracelet, but I do hope it's removable for showering and sleeping.

It'll be interesting to see what develops! We won't be at WDW until Sept., so hopefully by then the system will be up and running well.

I read somewhere that there would be kiosks in the parks for those without smartphones. Whether that is true, I don't know.

Have a question we are a party of 6 going in October...
Do we ALL have to use fastpasses for the same attractions each day?
Also what if the party splits and 4 go to AK and 2 go to HS...how will THAT work out????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter