New Year, New Beginnings - January 2022 W.I.S.H thread

Summer2018

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the January 2022 W.I.S.H. (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) thread - New Year, New Beginnings!
C678536D-9027-4F60-B6E1-707741E94991.jpeg
We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers. So, hop aboard and post your personal goals.

We have weekly volunteer hosts and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

MOTIVATION MONDAY
TOPIC TUESDAY
WOO HOO WEDNESDAY
THANKFUL THURSDAY
FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY
SOCIAL SATURDAY
SELF-CARE SUNDAY

This month's hosts are:
January 3-9 - Summer
January 10-16 - Sjrec
January 17-23 - Oneanne
January 24-30 - PollyannaMom

Last edited:
Intro:
I'm Summer, 57. I live in coastal Connecticut, an hour outside NYC.
Living with...DH 62 & DD 24.
Working as...Kindergarten Teacher in an inner city public school.
Favorite place...Seashore.
Hobbies...Art, swimming, reading, singing.
2022 Goals...Finally lose the baby weight using NOOM; walk daily; learn how to be more flexible and handle stress better; keep my eye on the prize; and BELIEVE IN MYSELF!

I'm Linda an empty nester from the Pacific Northwest. I'm planning to just keep plugging away making better food choices, continue with my yoga before work (at o'dark thirty! ugh), and try to walk a bit more. I've just realized that now that DH is retired, I no longer have to worry about starting something when I get off of work knowing in half an hour I need to get him. The possibilities are endless!!

He had a lovely last day of work. He didn't want any acknowledgement but his boss, and her boss, came into the office to chat and give him goodies. His boss had collected best wishes from tons of people and made a super sweet bound book out of them. So very touching. Our kids came over for his favorite pizza and his favorite cake from a local super delicious bakery. He was super happy with the evening.

We spent New Year's Eve with my parents, who were very anxious about us getting through the snow to their house. We did not stay up, but slept in like we did! Today we did a few chores for them and then braved the now ice to head home. Just their roads out in the boonies were slippery, so after a couple miles we were on bare pavement. Happy the weather warms up tomorrow.

DH and I hit Ikea on our way home. I wanted to see the bookcases in a store before I actually bought them. We decided they would work and managed to get the last two! Now whenever the work is finished in our family room we can assemble them! It might be a while! :rotfl2:

I really want something to eat right now, but think I will just make some nice tea since it is almost my bedtime!

Hope we all have a great and healthy 2022!

I’m so happy to have tomorrow off. I wasn’t aware of it until a couple days ago, so it’s a bonus day for me. I have a lot awaiting me when I return to school after being out for a week before vacation started…it’s rather daunting. For today, I will not dwell on it.
9BD1A644-252E-413E-B901-139614A76D42.jpeg

Hi I’m Lizanne, a 65 year old singleton, still figuring it all out in cold snowy Seattle.

I’m starting the year with a household re-set, which is symbolic of a personal re-set. January is kitchen month, alto it won’t take all month as I got thru half of the drawers and cupboards yesterday.. really thinking about how I use the space, as it is a very small kitchen. And really thinking about how I live my life as well.

My word this year is : now. Now is the time, now is my time, do it now… so many ways it applies.

Goals for January: cooking five meals a week at home, using my soon to be delivered airfryer: getting out for five walks per week: losing five pounds.

Hi I’m Lizanne, a 65 year old singleton, still figuring it all out in cold snowy Seattle.

I’m starting the year with a household re-set, which is symbolic of a personal re-set. January is kitchen month, alto it won’t take all month as I got thru half of the drawers and cupboards yesterday.. really thinking about how I use the space, as it is a very small kitchen. And really thinking about how I live my life as well.

My word this year is : now. Now is the time, now is my time, do it now… so many ways it applies.

Goals for January: cooking five meals a week at home, using my soon to be delivered airfryer: getting out for five walks per week: losing five pounds.
“Now. Now is the time, now is my time, do it now.” I love it. I am such a procrastinator. I think I will be borrowing this.

Hey howdy hey Shannon from RI. Full time mom of 3 and worker bee. Holding the fort down with DH of 13 years and a lot of help from my inlaws! Goals for the first few months of the year are weight maintenance, increasing muscle tone (which may mean a little weight gain and that's ok), increased calm and coping skills and increased self care in whatever form feels most appropriate.

DH went all Maria Kondo on our basement this morning so that was an amusing start to the day.

Today's self care is all about comfort and creation. Huh? What does that mean? It means I wanted comfort food and rather than just grabbing a cookie I decided to spend some time in the kitchen. The kids have been on an Italian bread kick so I dusted off my mixer and made some. Form needs some work but it smells awesome. Also grabbed my thick bottom pot and popped some purple kernel popcorn in coconut oil. The cooking the popcorn in coconut oil gives it a slight sweetness which offsets the butter and salt nicely. Decided microwave popcorn is for the week, stovetop is for the weekend.

Dragged the kids backpacks out of the closet for back to school tomorrow. We already got emails from the school department confirming school will resume in person but reminding parents to check their emails in case busing is interrupted or any school does not have enough staff to open and has to go remote. Sigh. Thinking its going to be a few weeks before I go back to my office...

Have a great week getting back into the swing everyone. Glad to be kicking off another year with you fine folks!20220102_144128.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. I am Dona. I used to be on here a long time ago. I need a place to be accountable so thought I would come back.

I am a 66 year old retired math. I taught at a high school for 38 years. I retired from that and put in an application at a college in town. I thought it would take 6 months to a year before I got called but they called within 2 weeks of sending my application. I started working immediately. I taught there for 5 years and stopped teaching there during the pandemic. I have been home since then.

I have been married for 43 years to my college sweetheart. We have two married sons and one has two grandchildren. My husband just retired from his second career and now will be home all the time. I don't know how that is going to work.

It is time I need to get myself in shape for the next chapter of my life. We have many plans but with my 89 year old mother around and two grandkids under 5 it is a challenge but I need to be in better health and this is a good place to start.

Hi. I am Dona. I used to be on here a long time ago. I need a place to be accountable so thought I would come back.

I am a 66 year old retired math. I taught at a high school for 38 years. I retired from that and put in an application at a college in town. I thought it would take 6 months to a year before I got called but they called within 2 weeks of sending my application. I started working immediately. I taught there for 5 years and stopped teaching there during the pandemic. I have been home since then.

I have been married for 43 years to my college sweetheart. We have two married sons and one has two grandchildren. My husband just retired from his second career and now will be home all the time. I don't know how that is going to work.

It is time I need to get myself in shape for the next chapter of my life. We have many plans but with my 89 year old mother around and two grandkids under 5 it is a challenge but I need to be in better health and this is a good place to start.

:flower::welcome::flower:

Welcome!

Self care today… taking down the tree. So sad but also glad to have it gone, always seems to work that way, doesn’t it? I’ve also continued to work on the kitchen, I’m down to two more drawers and two more cupboards… I’m pausing on that, as the garbage can is full, due to no pick up last week. I will clear out the fridge this afternoon.

My street is not clearing very quickly, a slow thaw is better as there’s less chance of flooding. And I do have enough food for a couple more days, but I have an acupuncture appt tomorrow evening and if I cancel I may have to pay the late cancel fee… better that than paying to get pulled out of a ditch I guess. But I have tomorrow off and would really like to go somewhere.

Hi! I'm Nicole, 51, in Massachusetts. I live with my DH and two spoiled cats, and we have a 21 year old son at school in Maine.

I am currently at home, but was a substitute teacher for many years, before that a SAHM, and before that I worked in mutual fund banking.

My January goals are to get back to healthy routines that were disrupted over the holidays - walking on the treadmill daily and slowly decluttering the house.

Welcome back, @donac!

Had a nice, quiet day. I'm a day behind yoga, but will do it here in a bit. Nothing like doing yoga before bed and then right when you wake up! :tongue:

Back to work and routine tomorrow. I've done a lot of work stuff today since learning several staff won't be there tomorrow! yikes!! But I think we have a plan for it all. I've got to get used to getting ready completely the night before since DH will be in bed when I am up.

Roasted broccoli and some almost dead baby carrots. It was all soooo good!! Happy there are leftovers for tomorrow (and probably the day after!).

Welcome back, Dona! I remember you and am so glad you found us again!

I’m Sandy, retired from our local HS library now for 5 years. Married and living in PA, but we are getting ready to put our house on the market and spend more time at our place in Ocean City, Md.

I maintained a 70lb weight loss for many years but have gained enough weight these last two years that my clothes are tight and I just feel sluggish. So getting out the food journal, cooking healthier meals we have enjoyed in the past and walking 5x a week.

Today is my last day home, and I am really not looking forward to returning to school under the current circumstances. But I will put on my “big girl panties” along with a big smile and do my best. There’s going to be some praying involved for sure. Today I will get organized so that I can wake up tomorrow ready to hit the ground running.

"Don't give up before the magic happens"

My contribution to Motivation Monday.

Good to see the monthly chats still going. I hope I can join back in :)

My goals for the month. I started on 26th of December, and the scale is already moving nicely. My biggest challenge is to stick with it. Every morning I seem to be tempted to tweak things and I don't think it is good move, considering that right now the scale is moving and I am in really good form.

The last 3 are bonus habits, the first 7 core

51a36974f28e1d48f42248c7e5a036ee.jpg

Last edited:

"Don't give up before the magic happens"

My contribution to Motivation Monday.

Good to see the monthly chats still going. I hope I can join back in :)

:welcome: Glad both of you are back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter