New Wildlife Discovery Excursion begins Feb. 15

cindyrelly

Earning My Ears
A brand-new, behind the scenes Animal Kingdom tour, specifically called the Wildlife Discovery Excursion ($45), begins Feb. 15 and runs twice daily at 10am and 1pm. Guests meet at the Mombassa Market Place 15 minutes prior to departing in climate-controlled vans for a 1 hour safari which allows up close and personal encounters with the same animals you may or may not see on the Kilimanjaro Safari. This is the only non walking tour Disney offers, however, they've restricted access to CONCIERGE LEVEL guests only. After trying to book this excursion through WDW-TOURS, who first offered it to me, the agent was unable to reserve my seat because only concierge desks at Delux Disney Resorts have access to booking this tour.

My dilemma is twofold: I'm severely disabled both physically and visually. Secondly, the van is wheelchair-accessible and makes stops to view the animals, so I could actually see them.

I am staying at monorail resort, but not concierge level, specifically because i am diabetic with no need for the extra-sugary amenities and alcohol included in the cost of the room. Both the concierge desk and the Itinerary Planning Office at my resort have denied my request to join the available tour and suggested I upgrade to concierge level. The Special Needs Dept. called on my behalf to no avail.

Does anyone know any contacts/Supervisors at WDW? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. HAVE A MAGICAL DAY.

Just my opinion, but I also would not need concierge level service food/drink since I am limited to tube feeding but I wouldn't feel as though I deserved to go on a tour restricted to concierge level guests if I'm not one. I guess I feel the rules apply to everyone- I don't think it would be fair or prudent of Disney to offer the tour to me or anyone else without my meeting the requirements. There are other perks to concierge besides the food/drink- we've stayed several times at AKLodge concierge and I've enjoyed just having the peace and quiet of the lounge and have used the services of the staff there. Once exceptions to the rules are made for any reason, I could see things really getting out of control. Disney or anyplace else only has to offer disabled guests the same services as non-disabled and they've done this by offering a lift van- but the disabled need to meet the same requirements and in this case, would need to be a concierge level guest. Again, just my opinion. Kathy

Apart from the usual fare offered, can Concierge-level live up to their reputation for great service and fulfilling special requests? If you were to upgrade, how might they accommodate you?

Of course, the net cost of Concierge v. $45 Safari must be considered.

Perhaps these boards may help. Some can get Cinderella's Royal Table ressies from others on the boards; perhaps a DIS member with Concierge privileges can transfer their spot? Try posting on the your Resort thread, and see if you can network with others.

I am diabetic as well. When I stayed at Concierge level at AKL they had a sugar free dessert made with Splend a for me each night. There were options on the buffet that I could have and iced tea available as well as water. I did provide my own diet soda but they offered to get some for me. That would have meant one of them going to the grocery as I am allergic to Nutrasweet and have to limit my sodas to Diet Rite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter