New Vegan Skillet (Whispering Canyon Cafe) - Surprisingly Delicious!

poohbear999

Earning My Ears
My family and I went to Whispering Canyon Cafe this weekend, and we decided to check out the new vegan "all you care to enjoy" skillet on a whim. It looked like an interesting alternative to the meat-heavy menu (although the vegan Quinoa cakes there are always delicious!).

We are not vegetarians/vegans by any means, but we enjoy meatless meals. We were pleasantly surprised by the vegan skillet! It included salad and cornbread to start (we asked for the regular kind, not the vegan version). The skillet featured "chicken" breasts, "beef" tips, BBQ Jackfruit, vegan spicy sausage, roasted potato wedges, corn niblets, and sauteed green beans.

The quality and variety of the meal impressed us. The beef tips were very good, and the spicy sausage tasted like the real thing. The chicken was rather plain, but it would probably make a vegan happy.

The real winner was the BBQ Jackfruit. Wow! Tastes like pulled pork or brisket, very hearty and satisfying. I've tried Jackfruit before with mixed results, but Disney got it right for this dish. Our waitress noted that this is the first restaurant to test out Jackfruit before they decide whether to roll it out in other locations. It would be great on a bun, similar to a pulled pork sandwich. :)

The skillet is a great addition to the menu. Curious to see what everyone else thinks!

My husband and I have been vegan for 4 years. We went to Whispering Canyon years ago before going vegan and really enjoyed the skillet. When we found out they are now offering a vegan skillet, we made reservations! We won't be trying it until our trip in February, but I have been reading reviews and they are great just like yours.

I think it is so impressive that you tried it even though you aren't vegan!

YAY!!! We have reservations in a couple of weeks during my husband's birthday trip. It's our first time at WCC so I was a little nervous about the vegan skillet, but all the reviews I've see are very positive. Do you know what the difference is between the vegan and "regular" cornbread? I'm a vegetarian, so butter, cheese and honey are okay. Since he's getting the regular meaty skillet, I'd hate for them to give 2 different sets of sides/cornbread if there is something we can share.

YUM!

And they've toned down the antics, is that true?

Oh, and was this dinner or lunch? Does it matter?

Do you know what the difference is between the vegan and "regular" cornbread? I'm a vegetarian, so butter, cheese and honey are okay.

Good question. Could just be honey and butter, or it could be bacon.

Last edited:

YAY!!! We have reservations in a couple of weeks during my husband's birthday trip. It's our first time at WCC so I was a little nervous about the vegan skillet, but all the reviews I've see are very positive. Do you know what the difference is between the vegan and "regular" cornbread? I'm a vegetarian, so butter, cheese and honey are okay. Since he's getting the regular meaty skillet, I'd hate for them to give 2 different sets of sides/cornbread if there is something we can share.

I'm not sure of the difference between the regular versus vegan cornbread, but the regular kind is delicious. It is a classic sweet cornbread loaf with whipped butter on the side...no bacon in any of it. Yum!

YUM!

This was a dinner service, but I believe it is available for lunch as well (I would call to confirm).

As for "antics," they still do the ketchup routine with the kids and the hobby horse races, which are a big hit. However, they no longer toss a million straws at you, which they cited for "environmental" reasons (yes, it was a huge waste of straws, even before everyone realized that plastic straws aren't great for the oceans/landfills). The waiters are still folksy and sassy.

Well there you go. Three of our four person family are vegetarian and we were wondering where we should try on this trip. I will definitely book here , they seem to have put a lot of thought and effort into this menu. My ds14 who is a meat eater would love it too! Thanks for the review :).

Being a vegan who follows a vegan Disney Facebook group I knew about this new addition to the menu and have a reservation booked for our upcoming October trip. I booked a 2:00pm lunch before the Halloween party. I have read that yes it is available for lunch and it’s cheaper then as well.

Thank you for trying it being a non-vegan and reviewing it, I’ve heard all positive reviews so far and am excited to try it as well as my daughter. Disney is actually a wonderful place for a vegan to eat. Each year there just seems to be more and more vegan options even right on the regular menus, unlike the past where modifications needed to be made.

YUM!

I think the lunch version is the same as dinner except no green beans or salad. Not a huge deal, but i heard the green beans are delicious. Lol

Hey everyone,

I know this is an old post but I had a follow up question regarding the Vegan skillet, I am vegetarian and would LOVE to try the skillet. My DBF is not vegetarian. Is there a way to do half and half? Not sure if the restaurant would accommodate that.

Can't wait to try this in the fall....We have a group of 10, and some/vegans, some not so this ( amongst plenty others in WDW) will be a nice change for some....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!