New to Disney - HELP

dream5866

Earning My Ears
I have been trying to get my husband to let us go to Disney for 4 years now and he has finally agreed. We want to go end of September / beginning of October (yes I know, short notice, but if I dont do it now he will change his mind again). We have 2 autistic (but very high functioning ) kids ages 8 and 12 (will turn 13 on 9/27 - dont know if that makes a difference) and am trying to find the best way to book. We want to stay on resort to make it easiest but want to know the least expensive way. HE is a definate cheapskate and is balking already at the prices. Any tips? Is the packages offered on disney site the best deals or can we find better at this late date? what about park or dining packages? any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would first try to see if they have any rooms available at a value resort, that would be your cheapest way to stay on site. I have heard that you can get discounts on some things through AAA. Also if you haven't look at this thread you might want to, It has alot of info on disABILITIES. http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20 I'm sure they have alot of good info on taking your sons. I have never used the dining plan so I'm not much help there. I usually just eat counter service, but alot of people on here used the dining plan, Im sure one of them can answer you question about it.

I have been trying to get my husband to let us go to Disney for 4 years now and he has finally agreed. We want to go end of September / beginning of October (yes I know, short notice, but if I dont do it now he will change his mind again). We have 2 autistic (but very high functioning ) kids ages 8 and 12 (will turn 13 on 9/27 - dont know if that makes a difference) and am trying to find the best way to book. We want to stay on resort to make it easiest but want to know the least expensive way. HE is a definate cheapskate and is balking already at the prices. Any tips? Is the packages offered on disney site the best deals or can we find better at this late date? what about park or dining packages? any help would be greatly appreciated.

On our last two trips, we found that staying at one of the All-Stars or POP resorts is the best deal. Magical Express will transport you from the airport to your resort, so you won't need to rent a car. If you're driving, staying on property will cut on expenses, because you can take the internal bus system to get to everywhere you need to go at WDW. We've also compared the dining plan to how much it would cost us to pay out of pocket, and the plan has always been more economical.

I hope this helps, and enjoy your trip!!! :goodvibes

Is it more cost effective to book through the Disney site or through AAA if we have it. We also have an entertainment book. I am just wondering because on the disney website they make the package deals look good but then you get on AAA or entertainment and they show the moderate resorts at $104 a night but of course that doesnt include all the passes, etc. ANyone who has tried both routes?

AAA will always be cheaper. I save roughly $300 during value season each time I book through them. Definitely use AAA!

It really is not worth staying off site to save money. A value resort is not that pricey, plus like the previous poster said, you get a ride to a from the airport and transportation around Disney is included for resort guests, so you don't need to rent a car. If you are on a budget, the dining plan may not be best for you. If you love table service restaurants then it will be a huge deal, but if you are looking to save money, then just sticking to counter services will save you. Also, you can get free ice water with your meals to save, too. You will definitely save a lot of time and energy by staying on site, and it is not much more money, if any at all, to stay on site at a value.

FYI- I think you can also book a package through AAA (including park tix, Dining plan and hotel stay) so you would still save money over booking through Disney. The hassels that go along with that (or maybe they aren't hassles to some) are that you may possibly not get a TA who knows much about Disney, so may need to proactively search for info, book dining etc. as they may not. Also, Disney will not talk with you about your reservation directly, they will only talk to your TA (this is true for all TA's not just AAA) so any questions or concerns you have about your reservation will have to be addressed wiht your travel agent.

We are going 9/22 - 9/29 staying at CBR. Unfortunately all premium and water view rooms at the AAA price for all moderate resorts we could afford were gone in the one hour it took me to run home and check with DH so we got stuck in a standard but hopefully it will be okay. We got the dining plan and the park hopper.

Any suggestions on what to do next? I am so overwhelmed I dont even know where to start.

You need to go to your local bookstore and pick up a couple good travel books relating to Disney. If you booked through AAA or a travel agent, call them back and ask if they have any other info for you. You can also call Disney and they will send you a complementary DVD on WDW. Your kids might enjoy watching that as you plan your trip. You are going in what is considered a fairly short time frame. You will need to start making a few decisions on where you would like to have meals and call to start making some dining reservations if you plan on eating at TS ( table service) restaurants. It will be difficult to just walk in and be seated at most of the TS restaurants if you don't have ADR's (Advance Dining Reservations). Use the DIS as often as possible. The people on this board have a love for Disney and are the best sources for information. You can get alot of questions answered in a short amount of time. Between the DIS and other websites like ALLEars you should be able to find out alot. Part of the fun of going to WDW is in the planning. If you've never been before, it is huge. WDW covers an area approximately the size of the city of San Francisco. It's huuuuge. You will be doing alot of walking and it will be hot. You need to have good comfy shoes, sunscreen and carry plenty of water w/ you. As a previous poster stated you may want to go on the DISabilities thread for suggestions for your children. I'm not sure how much walking they can do, but you can rent wheel chairs or ECV's thru Disney or thru outside vendors if needed. The outside vendors will deliver and pickup at your resort lobby which is very handy. Good luck with all your planning. You're going to have a fabulous time. Ed

Dream - email me at beckiet82@gmail.com, I am going that same time and would be happy to tell you our itinerary. I always manage to "maximize" the fun while there and fit just about everything in. I would love to help you out so that you do not miss anything.

My fav Disney book is They Unnoficial Guide to Disney World. Beware: it is 818 pages! but it's really great!

Definitely check out the disABILITIES board on this site! My DD1 has Down syndrome, and I have found a community of people w/ a wealth of experience on doing Disney w/ disABILITIES!

Have fun!

We are going 9/22 - 9/29 staying at CBR. Unfortunately all premium and water view rooms at the AAA price for all moderate resorts we could afford were gone in the one hour it took me to run home and check with DH so we got stuck in a standard but hopefully it will be okay. We got the dining plan and the park hopper.

Any suggestions on what to do next? I am so overwhelmed I dont even know where to start.

So you know you are staying at a great time of year to be able to enjoy less-congested parks and hopefully cooler weather. We went last October and stayed at the CBR and had a great time. If you are utilizing the Magical Express I would suggest packing pool gear in your carry-on bags. We did this and got to enjoy the CBR pool all day and then went to a park for the evening. Also, I think you will enjoy the CBR much better then any of the All-Star resorts. I am not saying their bad, but I think the theming is much more Disney at the CBR and the bus rides are shorter. Now go have fun planning your trip and explore as much as you can!

I almost forgot. You might want to make dining reservations (ADRs) as the restaurants fill up quick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter