New to DIS Boards and to my own Disney blog. Help?

Mary Magical Savings

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! Long time Disney fanatic here who has never had cause until now to post in these threads myself. I have found an answer to my every Disney related question before by searching these boards, so thanks for years of information!

I decided to join the conversation because I've hit a wall as I am trying to get my new blog off of the ground. For anyone who has had success in any blogging venture, particularly a Disney related blog: how can I get traffic to my site? We (my husband and I) have created social media pages and try to be as active there as we can, but being a new name out there, nobody is biting yet. What else can we do? Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong place. I'm not sure if there is a rule against directly advertising my blog here; if not, I will post a link and would love to get anyone's feedback on our new site.

BadPinkTink

DIS Veteran
what you need is to research SEO - Search Engine Optimization and content marketing. This is what I do in my day job. Just creating a blog / website is not enough, you need to do things to your website / blog so that when people search in Google, Google recognizes that that what they are looking for is contained on your website / blog and then puts it into the search results page.

SEO is an ongoing task and most of the time it takes about a year for a new website to get a decent amount of visitors.

SEO includes but is not limited to
  • the URL / domain name and age of domain
  • website hierarchy
  • the layout of the webpages, things like headings, paragraphs, bullets, lists etc
  • the text on the page
  • the images on the page
  • the structure of the website template / html code
  • social media correctly connected
  • active social media
and so much more

You can also drive traffic to your blog / website through online ads using Google Adword campaigns and Google Display Network and social media advertising.

Mary Magical Savings

Earning My Ears
what you need is to research SEO - Search Engine Optimization and content marketing. This is what I do in my day job. Just creating a blog / website is not enough, you need to do things to your website / blog so that when people search in Google, Google recognizes that that what they are looking for is contained on your website / blog and then puts it into the search results page.

SEO is an ongoing task and most of the time it takes about a year for a new website to get a decent amount of visitors.

SEO includes but is not limited to
  • the URL / domain name and age of domain
  • website hierarchy
  • the layout of the webpages, things like headings, paragraphs, bullets, lists etc
  • the text on the page
  • the images on the page
  • the structure of the website template / html code
  • social media correctly connected
  • active social media
and so much more

You can also drive traffic to your blog / website through online ads using Google Adword campaigns and Google Display Network and social media advertising.
Yea, my husband is all over SEO since that's a big part of his job. We are sure we are doing everything right from that perspective. So I guess it's just a waiting game? I guess I'm more so wondering what I need to be doing on social media. We of course are making regular posts including of each new blog post we write and publish. Twitter is something totally new to me (I have been strictly FB for my personal social media use...I know, I'm old) and I don't know anything about Pinterest yet. We don't live in Orlando, so getting new video footage and photos is impossible for us right now.

• OHmomof2

Mouseketeer
    Strictly my opinion...I think people are always looking for instant information/gratification. So, if you're not posting or uploading content daily, they'll move on to someone else who is. Good luck, though!

BadPinkTink

DIS Veteran
    Yea, my husband is all over SEO since that's a big part of his job. We are sure we are doing everything right from that perspective. So I guess it's just a waiting game? I guess I'm more so wondering what I need to be doing on social media. We of course are making regular posts including of each new blog post we write and publish. Twitter is something totally new to me (I have been strictly FB for my personal social media use...I know, I'm old) and I don't know anything about Pinterest yet. We don't live in Orlando, so getting new video footage and photos is impossible for us right now.
    Some things I noticed,
    • you are not using Google Analytics
    • you don't have a cookie notice.
    • you are missing alt text on images
    • you are not using hashtags on twitter
    • your twitter is missing a header image

• Mary Magical Savings

Earning My Ears
    Some things I noticed,
    • you are not using Google Analytics
    • you don't have a cookie notice.
    • you are missing alt text on images
    • you are not using hashtags on twitter
    • your twitter is missing a header image
    Thank you so much for all of this! We are using Analytics, but everything else needed addressing. Appreciate you so much!

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES