New to camping, some questions

chicagoshannon

DIS Veteran
When I was a child we camped at the Fort a couple of times but I've never been as an adult. We have a site booked for just one night in May to try it out. We basically have nothing so need to buy it all. I have a tent picked out that I think will be nice:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product..._sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There are 4 of us so I want something that we'll be comfortable in but don't want to spend any more than the price of that tent. Any thoughts on that tent? Or any other suggestions?

Also, should I get a tarp to go under it? I seem to remember my parents putting a tarp under our tent as a kid.

My list also includes:
extension cord
lanterns
flashlights
air mattress
sleeping bag

I have a reservation for Trails End breakfast so wasn't planning on doing any cooking at our site this trip.

Am I missing anything? Will it be easy to find my campsite in the dark after returning from AK?

Any other hints/tips appreciated.

You'll still want to bring a cooler with some waters on ice. Nice not to have them at hand when needed!

A fan...it could be warm at that time of year...towels, s’mores stuff, bug spray.
Hope you have a great time!

Yes, shannon, put a tarp/ground cloth under the tent for two reasons.

First to protect the bottom from rips, tears, snags, dirt, etc from whatever might be under you.

Second to provide a barrier from water in case it rains and puddles up some. The coquina and ground underneath can become saturated and drain slowly. Don't extend the tarp beyond the footprint of the tent or else it becomes a catch-all for the rain water on the outside of the tent.

May is a nice season to tent camp. It sounds like you have the plan so all you need is great weather.

Bama Ed

Yes I hope it doesn't rain! Thanks for the reminder to bring towels!!!

I had thought about a fan but wasn't sure if we needed one yet in May. Thanks for letting me know that we do. :)

Something to blow up the mattress?

And why do you need an extension cord? What are you going to plug in?

Just a thought. For a single night camping, have you considered borrowing a friends tent? A tent purchase along with the other "camping items" you may want can get pricey if you don't intend on using it again. The Fort also rents tents and cots. They are generally for the group camping, but rent to individuals based on availability. They will be setup and waiting for you when you arrive. Camping made easy.

j

Just a thought. For a single night camping, have you considered borrowing a friends tent? A tent purchase along with the other "camping items" you may want can get pricey if you don't intend on using it again. The Fort also rents tents and cots. They are generally for the group camping, but rent to individuals based on availability. They will be setup and waiting for you when you arrive. Camping made easy.

j

But isn't that called Glamping. ;)

Your list sounds fine for the one night, including the tarp to go under it. Cooler with drinks and I would for sure bring a fan during the month of May.

Being only for one night you won't need much especially if eating breakfast at TE. As far as the extension cord goes you might also include a power strip which will allow you to plug in the fan but also recharge your phone, electric lamp, etc.

Like you said you're "trying it out" so you'll realize some other things as you go. Might I suggest a test run with the tent and supplies in the backyard? You'll be amazed what you find you need just doing that.

j
This is some extremely good advice If this trip is going to be a 1 and done type trip it would certainly be much cheaper than the purchase of the tent. Plus with Disney doing basic set up and tear down for you you will have more time to roam and explore Fort Wilderness

Your list sounds fine for the one night, including the tarp to go under it. Cooler with drinks and I would for sure bring a fan during the month of May.

Being only for one night you won't need much especially if eating breakfast at TE. As far as the extension cord goes you might also include a power strip which will allow you to plug in the fan but also recharge your phone, electric lamp, etc.

Like you said you're "trying it out" so you'll realize some other things as you go. Might I suggest a test run with the tent and supplies in the backyard? You'll be amazed what you find you need just doing that.
Doing a test run or 3 in that exotic local of Camp Your Own Backyard is a great idea. You get feel for how things will work out for you what you have that you don't need and what you don't have but need. See from your list you don't include a mallet to drive tent stakes extra light rope or bungee cords to secure things or as wash lines just a suggestion.

Doing a test run or 3 in that exotic local of Camp Your Own Backyard is a great idea. You get feel for how things will work out for you what you have that you don't need and what you don't have but need. See from your list you don't include a mallet to drive tent stakes extra light rope or bungee cords to secure things or as wash lines just a suggestion.

Good point on mallet.

Oh my.

First, I'll say that I'm a 54 year old grandmother of 5 and have been camping my entire life, regularly. Most of that was tent camping, both growing up and when my kids were growing up. We still tent camp occasionally. We camp at least 5 days a month, year round, in our pop up.

That being said, I'll offer my best advice:

- One night is not worth it when have to set up a tent. I would strongly recommend renting a tent and cots from the Fort.

- I would not purchase any tent that wasn't an instant tent. They are the best thing that has ever happened to tent camping and just about every company makes them now. Having an instant tent is the only way I would consider a one night tenting trip, without having one set up and waiting.

- A cabin style tent will serve you much better than a dome style for family camping. The sloped walls will take away much of your space.

- I wouldn't recommend buying all that stuff without trying camping with your family, first. They may all hate it. Renting would solve this.

- I agree with all the other advice given, especially bringing a fan, power strip, and cooler of drinks.

It will be easy to find your way back to your campsite in the dark. There are lots of little lights around.

Thanks everyone. We will definitely be using the tent at least one more time this year for a girls club outing.

I'll look more into an instant tent. We actually have one already but it's just kids size. Both of my kids could sleep in it but no one all 4 of us could.

Does the pool have towels or do we need to bring beach towels?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter