new runDisney 5k policy

roomthreeseventeen

Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
"You must be 5 years of age on race day to participate in the 5K. Each participant must be able to complete the 5K on their own."

Goes into effect starting with the Princess Half weekend in 2015.

"You must be 5 years of age on race day to participate in the 5K. Each participant must be able to complete the 5K on their own."

Goes into effect starting with the Princess Half weekend in 2015.

Interesting. I wonder if that is to stop the "can I push a stroller" questions and to move the crowd along. They should probably post it in a more prominent place. If you hadn't posted it, I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

I would imagine it has to do with the fact that it held things up for a bit. I don't know what time the park opens at but perhaps there were too many strollers still in the 'race' when the park opened.

I find this interesting as we were told in 2011 when we registered for our first family 5K (Marathon weekend) that my then 5 year old daughter could participate so long as she could cross the finish line under her own power. So I don't see how this is a change in policy, unless strollers were allowed in other events? :confused3 Maybe we were among the only ones who asked if a 5 year old could participate.

It's probably due to the lady at the PHM 5K 2014. She had a barely 1 year old that had a bib and they started the race together with her DD walking.
They did start dead last and the mom had a carrier for her but I can imagine the liability issues if the mom had fallen and hurt her DD.

It probably comes down to liability. However you would think they would have thought of that beforehand.
I just wonder if isn't simply because 'sweeping' isn't really possible on this race because its around Epcot...how would they actually sweep you? So as far as Disney is concerned, they are stuck with stragglers finishing and strolling along the 5k when they want to get ready to open the park.

I think it has more to do with that. Its different for the half and full I guess because the 5k is pretty much all around Epcot.

It's probably due to the lady at the PHM 5K 2014. She had a barely 1 year old that had a bib and they started the race together with her DD walking.
They did start dead last and the mom had a carrier for her but I can imagine the liability issues if the mom had fallen and hurt her DD.

I remember her! I was actually surprised that they let her do that. I guess it made for a cute photo op for a few minutes, but then it got to be old pretty quick. Same thing with the Disneyland 5k. There were some awfully tired little ones at the very back.

I remember her! I was actually surprised that they let her do that. I guess it made for a cute photo op for a few minutes, but then it got to be old pretty quick. Same thing with the Disneyland 5k. There were some awfully tired little ones at the very back.

My DD is 8 and she complained the whole way, I can imagine some of the younger kids. And DD is even a competitive runner. I was surprised she whined as much as she did.
I was very surprise she was allowed to start, and now that I remember. I think she started in an earlier corral, or I wouldn't have seen her. I held DD's hand and stayed way over to the side so she wouldn't get run over, and DH ran behind her when he could.

I remember them too, but they weren't in the last corral. I was in the last corral due to my late registration. The baby was walking for the walk up to the start and for the first 100 yards, that is about where the last corral caught up to them after a 10 minute delayed start.

I remember them too, but they weren't in the last corral. I was in the last corral due to my late registration. The baby was walking for the walk up to the start and for the first 100 yards, that is about where the last corral caught up to them after a 10 minute delayed start.

Yup, I remember passing them(last corral also) and thinking that it was insane that she was allowed on the course.

My sleep deprived brain. Yes the were in at least one or 2 corrals ahead of us. We were in E, I'm thinking she was in A or B maybe. But last in the corral.

I just did a search to see if 8 year olds could run the 5ks. I never even considere 5 year old- let alone a 1 year old!! :eek:

I have a friend whose 5 year old just ran/walked her first 5K with Girls on the Run. And I saw kids not much older running a 5 mile Turkey Trot in November, so it's do-able depending on the child. My 7 year old nephew could have done it, but his 5 year old brother, there's no way. He woulnd't even run all of the 200M dash at Avengers in November.

There was a couple who had both their kids in a corral ahead of ours and they picked them up and were running.

Does anyone have any idea what the longest time is you can cross the finish line and still get a medal? I'm a first-timer (or will be when the race starts) and I'm really nervous about whether I will make it to the finish line timely.

rundisney has a 16 minutes/mile policy. They suggest you train for 15 minutes/mile; for some that's for picture breaks for characters...for me it's the bathroom stops that get me, LOL. Practice for those times and you'll be fine.

My DS was barely 8 last year at jingle jungle. He complained a lot and walked a good bit, but he did it. And wants to go back this year. I will make him train for it more this time around though.

My family is doing the EEC this May. My younger daughter is 9 and it will be only her second, timed 5K. She is running her first one with me next weekend so she can fully appreciate how far 3.1 miles really is. She has been out before and we did 3 miles once and she did it at a 15:30 pace so I am confident that she won't get swept. DD11 on the other hand, she has done 14 5K races in the past 3 years so I know that she will do fine. The last time we went out for a 3-mile run, she was SINGING the whole time! Didn't even break a sweat! We do the run/walk intervals and I think that DD9 will do best using a 2:2 ratio. DD11 likes doing 4:1, but she has WAY more endurance than her sister.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter