New room types for Grand Floridian?

chimoe

Mouseketeer
I was just booking a room for a trip in November and noticed that when I selected Grand Floridan, I got some new room types called "Resort Studios" - screenshot below:

I'm wondering, is this the "Big Pine Key" building that's being converted or is this location in the DVC building? Pricing is only $10 difference. If it is the separate DVC building, is there anything I should be aware of if i'm booking a DVC? any loss of benefits/features?

1653005088986.png

Yes, the Resort Studios are the DVC conversion of Big Pine Key. No real difference when booking a DVC room with cash than a hotel room with cash other than a different accommodation type - although I’d argue in this case it’s a big plus as you’ll have a freshly renovated room compared to the hotel side (which is in dire need of a renovation; IMHO) and you have a guaranteed Big Pine Key building location (which IMHO is well-located to be convenient for all that GF has to offer).

Separately and somewhat related, Disney has recently tweaked all of the hotel room search results so that DVC/Villa accommodations also show up in addition to hotel rooms, where applicable. Makes for a long page of room results for some resorts.

Hope that helps!

I was just booking a room for a trip in November and noticed that when I selected Grand Floridan, I got some new room types called "Resort Studios" - screenshot below:

I'm wondering, is this the "Big Pine Key" building that's being converted or is this location in the DVC building? Pricing is only $10 difference. If it is the separate DVC building, is there anything I should be aware of if i'm booking a DVC? any loss of benefits/features?

View attachment 670331
Yes, the Resort Studio is part of the new BPK DVC Conversion. You will not have a kitchenette in this studio as you would in a standard DVC Studio. You will also not receive a microwave. It’s basically a resort room, but part of DVC.

Here is a full list of the Resort Studio Amenities:

65CF683E-69CF-4037-B045-929EEA57BB2A.jpeg

Hope that helps.

Yes, the Resort Studio is part of the new BPK DVC Conversion. You will not have a kitchenette in this studio as you would in a standard DVC Studio. You will also not receive a microwave. It’s basically a resort room, but part of DVC.

View attachment 670332

Hope that helps.

I too have noticed that Disney is now showing Villa rooms in with the regular Resort rooms for whatever reason. Boardwalk and Wilderness Lodge do this too. It's particularly odd with Wilderness Lodge since over there the resorts technically have different names.

I just rented thru DVC and was assured that I had a new room but the reservation says Deluxe Studio not resort.

I just rented thru DVC and was assured that I had a new room but the reservation says Deluxe Studio not resort.
The villas in the original VGF building, including the Deluxe Studios, are all recently renovated, including replacing the sofa beds with queen Murphy bed/sofas, so in that sense a Deluxe Studio is a “new” room. If you want BPK, you’ll need to change to a Resort Studio.

View attachment 670332

Hope that helps.

Interesting that the resort Studios are listed as receiving “evening turn down service”. So far, that hasn’t even returned to club level rooms. And robes. Other DVC rooms don’t get robes right? I know they don’t get daily housekeeping so interesting they’ll get daily turn down.

Do these resort studios include free parking? I know DVC owners get free parking when booking DVC and people who rent from DVC owners, but do people who pay with cash direct to Disney as well?

Do these resort studios include free parking? I know DVC owners get free parking when booking DVC and people who rent from DVC owners, but do people who pay with cash direct to Disney as well?
No, cash guests pay for parking at DVC resorts. Guests “paying” with DVC points park at no charge because the member fees paid on those points include the parking charges (by paying for maintenance of the parking lots).

Gosh thanks for the info. I was really excited to get on and find a studio but hadn't caught the difference in "deluxe or the resort studio" So other than no kitchenette or microwave would you find any faults in staying in the Big Pine Key building versus the main resort area? I am a DVC member so the parking isn't a big deal. Wondering if it is worth the extra points to do lagoon view vs. standard view. Are these rooms convenient to the pool or is there quite a walk? Thank you

Last edited:
Gosh thanks for the info. I was really excited to get on and find a studio but hadn't caught the difference in "deluxe or the resort studio" So other than no kitchenette or microwave would you find any faults in staying in the Big Pine Key building versus the main resort area? I am a DVC member so the parking isn't a big deal. Wondering if it is worth the extra points to do lagoon view vs. standard view. Are these rooms convenient to the pool or is there quite a walk? Thank you
The new Resort Studios are in BPK, which overlooks the main pool at GF, so just about as convenient as could be!

CarolynFH....That's reassuring. Thanks for the info. We only stayed once at GF and it was a 1 BR and I wish I could remember the building. All I remember is from the outside flight check in area we went to the right and followed the canopied area into the building.

We did the tour of these rooms in March and loved them. Got five nights booked in December and cannot wait!

CarolynFH....That's reassuring. Thanks for the info. We only stayed once at GF and it was a 1 BR and I wish I could remember the building. All I remember is from the outside flight check in area we went to the right and followed the canopied area into the building.
You can see photos of the work they're doing on the BPK exterior in this article from DVCNews. One of the photos shows how BPK overlooks the pool. Enjoy your stay!

I am so excited! We just officially moved our trip in June from CSR to the new resort studio rooms at GFV!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter