New Post Office Regulations - Read Before You Mail Again

Mickey7811

DIS Veteran
THEY JUST ANNOUNCED ON TV THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU MAIL ANY PACKAGES FROM THE POST OFFICE, YOU MUST HAVE A PICTURED ID.

YOUR RETURN ADDRESS MUST MATCH YOUR ADDRESS ON YOUR ID.

I AM NOT SURE IF THIS IS JUST MARYLAND - I WOULD THINK IT WOULD BE COUNTRY WIDE.

DARLENE
VICE PEACHIDENT
FELX QUEEN

Are you kidding me? You mean that if you wanted to do a favor to sweet little granny, you could not? She'd have to get out of her house and mail the package herself? Are you sure you heard right?

Wanda

we are going to mail out a few packages tomorrow. we wil check out NH.

I sent some packages out today but my PO knows me. I'm there almost every day. They never mentioned it to me and there were no signs posted. I just checked the USPS web site......nothing there.

A few of our fellow DIS'ers are Postal workers. Can any of you clarify? Is it just in the DC area or what's the scoop?? :confused:

I, too, mailed a package today, and no one questioned me. But then, I live in a small town and the postal employees know me....but still, if this was a rule, seems they would have to look at ID anyway.

I'm heading out shortly to the USPS store. (To mail my THE pin trade! ;) ) I'll ask.
Maybe this regulation is only for Shifty Looking people. :D :jester: :jester:

Can't see how this would work. What happens if you drop it in a mial box? Anyone that mails in the next 24 hrs please let us know.

I stopped to get some money orders today at a post office in Williamsburg and noticed the clerk did check the ID of one person ahead of me. I wasn't paying attention, so I'm not sure WHY they checked ID.

Luv, "shifty looking people???" That could apply to most of us on here. :D :D :D

Yes, often when you pick up a package at the PO, they check IDs to confirm identities.

I honestly do not see the purpose of checking IDs when you mail a package, however. It seems so irrelevant.

Wanda

The line was long and I forgot to ask!:rolleyes:
However, I mailed an LBE (paid cash - no ID) and several others mailed packages much larger than mine. I didn't see anyone showing ID or being asked to.

I mailed out packages today. No ID was asked for. Maybe only in certain locations

I will check with my PO tomorrow. I expect, on Thursday, to mail about eight packages. My shipping labels have my PO Box on them. My Driver's license has my street address. Of course I have had the PO Box for 13 years and almost all of the window clerks and supervisors there know me. For all of our mail (especially packages), both in and out we use the PO Box.

Gee, how many of us spend half our lives in the post office - this is too funny. WE are all known there.

As your Vice Peachident I did not mean to spread false rumors (dont't tell Mike), but this is what i heard on our local TV day. They obviously forgot to tell the people at the Post Office.

I too will be making a trip to the Post Office in the next day or two - PIN SWAP PINS DUE OUT - HINT, HINT. - so we will see what happens.

It does not seem like a bad idea. I think they are just trying to do anything they can to make us safe.

I keep using that word safe alot here lately.

Darlene
Vice Peachident
Flex Queen

and rumor control monitor - hehehehe

our local post office..I am in Maryland, mailed 2 pkgs and my pin swap lbe, no one was asking anyone for any ID at all!

I went to the post office yesterday, and was not asked for id. However, I typically just write my last name in the return address (plus my address), and the clerk asked for my first initial. :confused:

Well, then he would NOT let me mail an LBE!!!!!! :mad: He asked what was in the package, and I told him. He told me the metal from the pin would break through. I actually argued with him (I was already a bit on edge) because the thought was so ridiculous. It was a Tink Around the World pin, and those have the hard rubber backs, which I also had protected with bubble wrap and a pamphlet. Turns out, he was actually feeling the 'world' part. He refused to let me mail it. Grrrr..... :mad:

Dar

Yesterday when I mailed a package of pins atthe post office, I specifically did not seal the envelope until I was at the post office. I asked if they needed to know or see what was in the package & the employee said no, that the package would be scanned elsewhere. I said well it is metal - Disney pins - she said no problem. So I sealed the envelope & mailed it.

I also use a Post Office Box & my driver's license has my street address on it. Time will tell ....

We just mailed out two packages and had no problems... Never asked for ID or anything.

Well maybe I need to show ID to RECEIVE my mail! I sure am not getting anything.
When it all comes, I should feel like I hit the mother lode of pins! :rolleyes:

I mailed out pin swaps this morning and asked the clerk if she needed to see an ID. She, as well as all the other postal clerks in our small town, know me but I was curious if the ID thing would be implemented with someone they didn't know. She said they had no such memo, to check IDs, but were told to "watch out" for suspicious looking boxes. She wondered, to me, just what a suspicious looking box would look like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter