New Orleans Riverside vs Saratoga Springs

God Of Thunder

Mouseketeer
I am trying to decide for my next trip where to stay. I've never stayed in either of these. What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks!!

Riverside is super-pretty, and I really like it. But SSR is villa rooms with at least a kitchenette (depending on the kind of room you’re booking), and POR has just normal hotel rooms.

At POR you have access to their pools and those at POFQ. SSR itself has three total pools? The main one, Paddock (my fave), and Carousel? Maybe another.

But have decent food and the ability to stroll around.

DH likes extra space, so his vote would be a one or two bedroom at SSR. I don't want to even look at a kitchen or laundry, so my vote is a room at POR. I also love the grounds and the amenities at POR and the walk along the river to POFQ for beignets.

What type of unit would you be getting at SSR?

I've never stayed there, but have stayed at POR. I thought POR was beautiful! I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, especially if the price was right.

Staying at a Treehouse at SSR is on my bucket list. But even staying in a smaller unit in the main part of SSR would have a lot of advantages; the ability to walk to Disney Springs (depending on where your room is, it could be a LONG walk, but still...it's possible.), the fact that there are two feature pools, and a regular coffee maker (I'm not a fan of single serving coffee makers) would all be huge pluses for me.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom at SSR last year and LOVED it! The walk wasn’t too far from main lobby and pool or dining, maybe 3 or 4 minutes. Super quiet resort so it was very relaxing. Many times we were the only family in the food court area. Had the main pool to ourselves most nights. I never used much in the kitchen besides the refrigerator, and we actually did do a little laundry just so we weren’t bringing all the dirty clothes home with us. The balcony on the room was fun too, overlooked the golf course. Great for people watching! I would love to stay there again.

You probably know this but SSR is deluxe category, POR is moderate. Just in case that means something to you.:)

We have stayed at POR the last two times and are staying there again this summer. We weren't planning on doing WDW this summer or staying at POR for the next time we did WDW, but we got a great free dining deal that worked out for us there. That said we have loved our stays at POR. We like to stay in the preferred room locations because it is a shorter walk to the main pool and close to the food court. We had considered SSR for this summer, but based on pricing we would have gotten a Studio, non preferred and based on that POR trumped SSR for us. We walked the grounds at SSR last time we were there. Walking to DS is an advantage---but SSR is a big place and it could end up being a very long walk. We really like at POR that there is a boat you can take over there--or you can hop onto the bus. Now if you were considering a villa over at SSR---that would hands down trump POR for me. The extra space you would get, the full kitchen and then an in-room washer and dryer would make it hands down worth it. We usually do laundry at least once during our week long stay. Knowing I could do it while we are in the room or at night over having to hope that a washer/dryer is available when I want it in the community laundry rooms at POR would be awesome. I've never had an issue with getting laundry done at POR, but I always worry machines wont be available.

You probably know this but SSR is deluxe category, POR is moderate. Just in case that means something to you.:)

Yes....my child is working there now and can get us a great discount on SSR to where it will cost almost the same as POR. To me POR looks so nice but SSR would be a 1 BR. Can’t make up my mind.

Yes....my child is working there now and can get us a great discount on SSR to where it will cost almost the same as POR. To me POR looks so nice but SSR would be a 1 BR. Can’t make up my mind.
Then by all means get the 1 bedroom! It's nice to have the kitchen even if you don't cook. It's nice to make coffee or have snacks and you can keep drinks cold in the fridge. Also with the washer/dryer you have the option to pack light and re-use your clothing.

ETA: TOBS2010 covered the salient points in my post, sorry for being redundant. BTW I'm a parent of a former CM, enjoy those discounts:earsboy:

If you child works for Disney, they should be able to get you a discount at either resort. Unless there are different discounts depending on where you work. I can get discounts at all the resorts. We are staying at POR for the first time in May. There are coffee makers and mini-fridge in the rooms. But if you need the extra bedroom and want ability to cook, then SSR would be your choice. But if you just want a nice room to enjoy and won't spend a ton of time in the room I would do POR. It really depends what means the most to you.

First both are nice resorts but you asked a specific question.
The differences: SSR will have much nicer pools, The rooms will have a balcony, The rooms themselves are larger and offer more amenities, The grounds will be larger and better thought out and more amenities. It is very difficult to compare a moderate to a deluxe and say which will be nicer as they deluxe will win in many respects and especially when trying to compare a one bedroom where the master bath will be an adventure in itself.
I enjoy SSR as it is very close and very easy to get to DS and I enjoy eating there. I also enjoy the grounds at SSR.
POR has nice grounds not a fan of the pool has a nice boat ride to DS but leaves you by the market place. For me the biggest advantage to POR is the large CS area you will not find something like this at any deluxe if that is a consideration.... But comparing to SSR where you have all the CS options at DS makes it very hard to use that as a deciding factor.

What type of unit would you be getting at SSR?

I've never stayed there, but have stayed at POR. I thought POR was beautiful! I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, especially if the price was right.

Staying at a Treehouse at SSR is on my bucket list. But even staying in a smaller unit in the main part of SSR would have a lot of advantages; the ability to walk to Disney Springs (depending on where your room is, it could be a LONG walk, but still...it's possible.), the fact that there are two feature pools, and a regular coffee maker (I'm not a fan of single serving coffee makers) would all be huge pluses for me.

The tree houses are really nice but if you are using bus transportation, be prepared for long transportation. You have to catch an internal bus to get to the rest if the resort so you can catch busses to the parks. We love staying at the Paddock at SSR.

I stayed at both and POR wins out because of theme for me.

Both are very large resorts, both have QS and TS offerings and the pools are both are very nice.

Like one of the PPs said - I'm on vacation and don't want to see a kitchen or a washer/dryer. While I thought SSR was comfortable it just lacked theme and that's one of the things I really enjoy about going to Disney.

Riverside is super-pretty, and I really like it. But SSR is villa rooms with at least a kitchenette (depending on the kind of room you’re booking), and POR has just normal hotel rooms.

At POR you have access to their pools and those at POFQ. SSR itself has three total pools? The main one, Paddock (my fave), and Carousel? Maybe another.

But have decent food and the ability to stroll around.
4 pools at SSR

The tree houses are really nice but if you are using bus transportation, be prepared for long transportation. You have to catch an internal bus to get to the rest if the resort so you can catch busses to the parks. We love staying at the Paddock at SSR.
The Treehouse Villas are two bedroom villas. The OP said she/he was staying in a one bedroom villa. If you get preferred location that will be Congress Park or The Springs. If you get standard location, that will be The Paddock, The Grandstand or The Carousel. You can find a map of SSR on the DVC Resorts Board in the Resources Thread towards the top of the page.

We have stayed at both and prefer POR. SS seemed too much like an apartment to us.

Never stayed a SS and only once at POR. Our preferred is POFQ. Our reason is that POFQ is the smallest resort on property. Everything is close and there is one bus stop. Boat to DS and busses everywhere else. POFQ and POR only share busses midday and early and late they are seperate. POR has four bus stops and a lot of walking and waiting. SS seems at least to me like such a big resort that transportation and walking a lot would be an issue. While it offers bigger rooms since we don't spend all that much time at the resort we don't mind the POFQ rooms at all. Last time we were there we requested near the bus and near the Food Court. We were in a third floor corner room that overlooked the entrance to the food court and a short walk through the lobby to the bus stop. One of the best rooms we ever had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter