New Magic Kingdom Welcome Show & Main Street Opening UPDATE: Page 15 - Post #281

Thank you, that's a bummer the show was retired.

So can we grab breakfast in main street without ADR? Or we're only allowed to roam around in Main Street till 9.

Thank you, that's a bummer the show was retired.

So can we grab breakfast in main street without ADR? Or we're only allowed to roam around in Main Street till 9.
There is breakfast at The Plaza Ice Cream Shop and I think Starbucks/Main Street Bakery. There also may be a cart with some grab and go type items.

So are people getting there early? How busy does it get? Also, when to the line ups at the hub spokes start to build? We're looking for advice for Space Mountain.

So, 8am regular opening today (not emh). We cancelled our 8am CP when opening was moved from to 8 last month. Arrived at 7:20, planning a leisurely stroll up Main St & waffles with ice cream for breakfast before heading to Adventure Land. Instead, they held us outside in the old spot until almost 7:50. President's weekend! Jam packed, totally like the old rope drop, mass chaos and running in a huge crowd down Main St. It was really horrible. We stopped at Starbucksfir coffee and sandwiches, and didn't get to Adventure Land until 8:15. If we had been trying to do 7D, breakfast would have been out of the question. Not good. Not good at all. Make a huge change, then totally drop it in a crazy day.

My advice, eat first and don't plan on Main St. It sucked - especially with 1st timers who were totally unprepared for the cattle call bc I had prepped them for the new opening. Didn't even try to see the new show with starving kids.

The ice cream parlor is opening at 9, so we won't be able to get breakfast before the park opens.

So, 8am regular opening today (not emh). We cancelled our 8am CP when opening was moved from to 8 last month. Arrived at 7:20, planning a leisurely stroll up Main St & waffles with ice cream for breakfast before heading to Adventure Land. Instead, they held us outside in the old spot until almost 7:50. President's weekend! Jam packed, totally like the old rope drop, mass chaos and running in a huge crowd down Main St. It was really horrible. We stopped at Starbucksfir coffee and sandwiches, and didn't get to Adventure Land until 8:15. If we had been trying to do 7D, breakfast would have been out of the question. Not good. Not good at all. Make a huge change, then totally drop it in a crazy day.

My advice, eat first and don't plan on Main St. It sucked - especially with 1st timers who were totally unprepared for the cattle call bc I had prepped them for the new opening. Didn't even try to see the new show with starving kids.
OMG that sounds awful! I had heard that with 8am regular openings they were allowing people in around 7am....I wonder if your experience this morning was just a fluke? We are going to be there in a few weeks during spring break and cancelled our 8am PPO breakfast due to them moving the opening time up from 9am to 8am. I hope this does not continue or that is not going to be a fun opening to a MK day at all :crazy2:

OMG that sounds awful! I had heard that with 8am regular openings they were allowing people in around 7am....I wonder if your experience this morning was just a fluke? We are going to be there in a few weeks during spring break and cancelled our 8am PPO breakfast due to them moving the opening time up from 9am to 8am. I hope this does not continue or that is not going to be a fun opening to a MK day at all :crazy2:
I'm wondering if they have decided not to open Main Street at 7 on 8am opening days OR, like you said, it was a fluke. We don't go until June, so we have time to see how it all shakes out. Please come back and post about your experience afterward. Thank you!

I'm wondering if they have decided not to open Main Street at 7 on 8am opening days OR, like you said, it was a fluke. We don't go until June, so we have time to see how it all shakes out. Please come back and post about your experience afterward. Thank you!
Hopefully it's a fluke because I asked this question here not too long ago, after they changed the opening hours for our trip, and it was reported that there had already been some 8am openings and they allowed people on Main Street at 7am. However this is Disney and they are always changing things so who knows! If they start holding people like they apparently did this morning that will be a hot mess especially during more crowded time like this weekend. I will update when we experience this for ourselves in a couple of weeks for sure ;)

The times I have gone since they have done the new opening and the park opens at 8 they have waited until 7:50 to let people in

The times I have gone since they have done the new opening and the park opens at 8 they have waited until 7:50 to let people in
There have also been people saying this:

This show happens 5 minutes before regular park open.
On an 8AM opening, it begins at 7:55 and Main Street opens at 7

There was an 8am opening a few weeks ago, and I was on main street about 7:30 but it had been open long before I arrived

So maybe Disney just can't decide how they want to handle 8am openings. Sheesh.

While we miss the old show, we liked being able to casually walk down Main Street and eat/shop before park open. We were there last weekend.

I was disappointed that Casey's wasn't open, despite this blog posting:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/01/new-breakfast-offerings-coming-to-magic-kingdompark/

Nearby cast members thought I was crazy, and none of the open locations had the cronut.
Yeh, I think it was just pretty much dead so they decided not to keep it open. I do wonder if they will open it back up during bust times...say Spring Break and Summer. Otherwise, I guess it The Plaza Ice Cream Parlor or Main Street Bakery - though does anyone know if they offer their breakfast foods when they first open up or is it just once the park officially opens?

There have also been people saying this:

So maybe Disney just can't decide how they want to handle 8am openings. Sheesh.

I believe they were doing work on Main Street and it was causing delays.
Saturday we were let in about 7:45, and I could see vehicles driving past the tunnels before then.

UGH!!! Sounds like the opening may be unpredictable, and we will not be able to count on that leisurely stroll down Main Street.

Last edited:
Did MK at rope drop this morning (9AM park opening). I will admit a part of me didn't want to say goodbye to the train show for nostalgic reasons, but after experiencing this for myself, I'm a big fan of the new opening procedure.

We got off the resort monorail at roughly 8:40ish....getting in the park was such a breeze! We were in the hub in no time. That would have been a soul crushing time to be arriving on a busy holiday Monday under the old system!

This plus the tweaks they've made to the security flow have really improved things, IMHO.

I've seen several people on this thread mention that they were able to get on SDMT as early as 8:40 with PPO ADRs. I'll be at MK on 3/8 (8am @ BOG) with my niece and SDMT will probably be too intense for her. I was wondering whether any other rides such at PP or Pooh opened up prior to rope drop as well.

Did MK at rope drop this morning (9AM park opening). I will admit a part of me didn't want to say goodbye to the train show for nostalgic reasons, but after experiencing this for myself, I'm a big fan of the new opening procedure.

We got off the resort monorail at roughly 8:40ish....getting in the park was such a breeze! We were in the hub in no time. That would have been a soul crushing time to be arriving on a busy holiday Monday under the old system!

This plus the tweaks they've made to the security flow have really improved things, IMHO.
What were the line ups at the hubs like? Also, which one were you going for, first thing? How long did it take you to get on your ride of choice?

We did 2 8 am PPO breakfasts last week and one rope drop. For the breakfasts we arrived at the TTC around 7. One day we were there at 657 and no one was collecting money yet so we parked for free. We arrived at the main gates by 730 both days. We went in through the tapstiles and waited until about 745. One day was CP. We were done breakfast just after 9 so we missed rope drop. The other day was CRT. We were held waiting for 7dmt until 850 or 855. Then we were let on. We were at the back of the group and got off around 902. I don't see how you'd be able to do it twice unless you were on the first train. The line was huge by the time we were done. And people were still making their way in from the morning show.

For the morning we did the new rope drop, they let all the breakfast people in first and then us. I'd say about 5 mins later max. We were delayed on the monorail so we didn't get to the entrance until they were just letting people in. But outside of breakfast, very few people were there. We walked up main Street and took tons of photos. Most don't have crowds in them, especially when we got close to the castle. I'd say the crowd started to grow by 830. We moved to the front close to the left side entrance through the castle and went straight to PP after. We had to ditch the stroller so that probably cost us a few minutes in line. We were in and back out before 930. But I can't remember exactly how long we waited/walked there and through the line.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter