new macbook air --- how best to learn mac

MichelleB

DIS Veteran
I have only ever had a PC but wanted a macbook air 11" for the portability. My DH got it for me for Christmas. I love the size and what I've managed to figure out so far. Can any of you Mac users tell me the best way to learn how to operate the Mac to its fullest? I'm still trying to learn how to do things on it vs a PC. Thanks!

Honestly, Apple is mostly intuitive. Don't try to make it a PC, it isn't, but start playing with it and it is an amazing machine.

Even my Dh is amazed at what I can actually figure out on my Apple vs. a PC.

We now have almost all Apple products....you will be hooked! I have a MacBookPro, an iMac, an iPod touch, an iPad and now an iPhone. :banana:

Dawn

I got a Pro for Christmas. I agree with Dawn 100% .. you learn so much on a Mac just by doing! The classes sound like a good idea too though if you feel you've maxed out what you will pick up just by playing around with it.

I bought a Dummies book at Barnes & Noble.

I don't know the exact name of it. I donated it to the library's book sale after I no longer needed it.

My DD9 got her first Mac at 2-years-old. Now 6+ years later she is a pro. When we go to the Apple Store the geniuses, who all know her by name love to show her off to potential Mac customers. When I upgraded her to a Macbook a couple of years ago it came with 1 year of free classes and "one on one with a genius" sessions. My daughter took a few classes but felt that "the other students were slowing things down".

While she isn't building complex spreadsheets in Numbers, she does use iTunes, Safari and iWeb like an expert thanks to those classes.

The Mac is incredibly easy to use and you will adapt quickly. The hardest thing for me to remember is that the CTRL keys just isn't the same on the Mac... and the Red X is now on the top left.

Psst, if you really, really have to... You can use Bootcamp to load both OS-X and Windows 7 on your machine. Or you can use VM Ware, Parallels type programs to run it in a virtual environment.

I definitely don't want to load windows onto the computer. I will keep playing with it. Is the genius bar at the store a paid thing? I know there are shortcuts to what I'm doing but haven't figured them out yet.

I highly recommend the one on one program, I have taken so many classes and feel that the 99.00 fee was worth it for me. I do live really close to an Apple store, so that helps.
It is amazing what you can do with your pictures on iphoto, and probably is my favorite program. I love my mac book Pro, and now have an iphone too. Hope to add a ipad to my collection soon!

Honestly, Apple is mostly intuitive. Don't try to make it a PC, it isn't, but start playing with it and it is an amazing machine.
Dawn

This is the biggest thing about Apple products. It can seem frustrating when you're used to PC's but they really are intuitive and work so much when you get used to them.

I believe it is $99 for a year of unlimited classes or one-on-one with a genius sessions. Which is great.

Hi MichelleB. Please keep us posted on how the transition goes, and what your opinions of the two systems are as you go along. It will be interesting to learn the pluses and minuses of the transition and the two systems. Thanks and good luck!

No real tips yet as I just got one myself and am also making the change.

My only real tip so far is make yourself use it. I've been really tempted a few times to go pull out the PC for something when I get frustrated and just want to get it done, but I've started making myself use it for everything, and I feel pretty confident already...

If you're comfortable learning things on your own, then just using a Mac is a great way to learn. Macs are very intuitive for many people.

Otherwise, One-to-One training is great, but you have to buy it when you buy your laptop. My mother-in-law got it with her first mac, and she went every week for her lesson. She learned a lot!

If you didn't buy One-to-One training with your Mac, and you can't convince your Apple Store to let you let you add it now, then the free workshops run at the Apple Stores are a good start.

Good luck!

Ia Mac convert as well. Love the mac now! I agree to just sit down and start clicking things! Try it out, while it depends on what "kind" of learner you are--some people learn better watching, some learn better by doing, I think with computers you really solidify your learning by actually trying all the bells and whistles. Congrats on your new purchase!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter