New Infraction System

Chuck S

DVC Co-Moderator
Super Moderator
Our moderators work very hard to keep the DIS a safe and friendly place for all visitors. As much as we wish everyone would always get along, there are always going to be issues when you have this many people in one place.
Historically we have handled these issues with warnings, bannings and not much in between.

This has resulted in several recurring complaints from users. The first is penalties were applied in an inconsistent manner. Another common complaint is that people were not properly notified.
We have put a new system in place that we believe will address those issues as well as make the process more open and transparent.

All infractions of board rules will be addressed by a point system. You can see the various infractions and point values by looking at our board guidelines page located here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

The way it works is really pretty simple. If you violate a rule the webmaster or moderator will click a button that assigns the proper point value to the infraction. At that point they must send a private message to the user, it will not allow them give the infraction without it. It will also generate a thread on the host board so we can track infractions.

Please note that private messaging is the official notification method, if you don't check your private messages you will not be notified. If you are banned you will get a pop up box listing the reason when you log in.
The moderator or webmaster has the choice to send a "warning" with no points for some of the minor infractions.

We can't possibly cover every situation with these guidelines. In a case where someone is "playing the system" or something is against board rules but not covered on this list we will still deal with it.

I will start a thread on the tech support board for any questions you may have on this process

We hope that by opening up this process we can create a better, friendlier atmosphere on the DIS and make the largest Disney discussion forum an even better place to be!

I may have been the first banned under this new system, yeah me!

Chuck, is there anyway for a violator to check their current points? Will they expire in time like DMV points?

Can the PM block be modified to let others users know that the suspended person's PM are blocked for a time limited suspension, instead of, ..."You may not send PM's to this user?..."

I received several emails of concern from friends (yes I still have a couple left ;) ), wondering what I had done this time.

Otherwise, FWIW, I appreciate the improved communications to the violator, and the addition of consistent consequences for similar ciolations, I think it really reinstates a principal of fairness, that some found missing here!

-Tony

P.S. was I the first banning, if so, where is that Tag Fairy when you need him/her/it?

Perhaps, keeping the GREEN in BANNING?

I don't know if individual users can see their point totals or not. If so, here is where it will show:

Click on your user name in a post and go to "view public profile" once you are there, look for a link that says either DISBoards Profile or Forum profile and click on that. If the total is available to users, it will show up just under the first area, where it shows your username and avatar. It will show your points along with the post that garnered the warning or points, and if points were assessed, it will show the expiration date of those points.

Guys!
I can certainly see that rules have to be in place and why you have gone to a point system. And, I really appreciate the amount of work the mods put in to keep this place tidy and civil.

That being said, I would beg you not to get too overly scrupulous about the "sarcastic and argumentative". One of the most beloved and well-remembered posters around here was Richyams. Even now there is a thread over on DVC about how much people miss him. I suspect he often crossed the line into some people's definition of sarcastic and argumentative. For a lot of us, he was a grand source of humor - I for one looked forward to his posts. They elicited every reaction from head shaking to uncontrolled laughter. Again, I realize we must have rules, but let's not get too plain vanilla.

There are several questions you guys need to address:

1) If I don't use all my points this year, can I bank them to next year?

2) Can I transfer my points to another user? Can I do more than one transfer a year?

3) Do points have a "home board" - that is, if I spend most of my time on the DVC boards, should I try and get points with violations there, or should I go to some other board where it's easier to get points?

4) If I wanted to sell my points - I'm not sure why someone would want to buy them, but you never know - is that allowed?

3) Do points have a "home board" - that is, if I spend most of my time on the DVC boards, should I try and get points with violations there, or should I go to some other board where it's easier to get points?

Points, just like DVC banking, are cummulative totals. And like the 7 month window, points are points, it doesn't matter which board they come from. ;)

There are several questions you guys need to address:

1) If I don't use all my points this year, can I bank them to next year?

2) Can I transfer my points to another user? Can I do more than one transfer a year?

4) If I wanted to sell my points - I'm not sure why someone would want to buy them, but you never know - is that allowed?

Sal:

I :love: LOVE:love: this post!

Thank You!!!

-Tony

I do have warning points available for rent or transfer, please PM me.

Also Chuck:

It does show!

I have two listings for the same infraction, first one from WMD, which was a warning, and then a second from you 22 minutes later for the same infraction, this time with points. It also shows my current point total, and the date they expire. Cool system. So can everyone checkout my 'Police' record'?

I also clicked on ignore greenban, how do I undo that, now that I can no longer see myself?

-Tony

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Some of you people are hilarious!

More questions:

1. Will there be maintainance fees for these points? How much will they go up each year? Will there be a monthy payment option?

2. How much is per point buy-in? Will there be introductory specials/referral credits?

;)

Sal:

I :love: LOVE:love: this post!

Thank You!!!

-Tony

Also Chuck:

It does show!

I have two listings for the same infraction, first one from WMD, which was a warning, and then a second from you 22 minutes later for the same infraction, this time with points. It also shows my current point total, and the date they expire. Cool system. So can everyone checkout my 'Police' record'?

I also clicked on ignore greenban, how do I undo that, now that I can no longer see myself?

-Tony

Since you can see them (I honestly don't know if everyone can...I hope not), notice that they are for two different posts. The system will automatically prevent more than one warning or infraction on any one post.

I'm guessing, if you really did ignore yourself :lmao: that you'll be able to fix it through your userCP buddy/ignore list

I may have been the first banned under this new system, yeah me!

Not even close, since the new system just started today. If you had been under the new system you still wouldn't be able to post since the minimum "timeout" ban is 10 days.

BUT ... If you want to be the first, just let me know. It can be arranged ! :smooth:

Ban Tony maybe he will get serious then.

Hey Tony wanted to say thanks for the points for December we had a great time.

we are now going to buying a piece of the action soon. thanks to you

Be careful, Tony! You may have just committed your first infraction under the new guidelines:

1. FOR SALE posts: For sale ads are strictly prohibited on any of the DISboards.

I'm going to resist the golden opportunity to have a little fun at Tony's expense, but I do have four serious comments.

1. I appreciate all the work you mods do keeping this place running. I know you get big bucks, but still, it's an awful lot of work. Keep up the good work!

2. I think you guys worry too much about what people think of your efforts. This is a private board. If someone thinks you're unfair, doesn't like the way you run it, etc, etc, ad nauseum --they have the option of venturing elsewhere in the www.

The truth is, no matter what system you use, anyone who doesn't like the outcome is going to complain.

3. You might want to consider locking these threads and making them stickies. They will either turn into "nothing" threads, or they'll disappear in a day or so and the informational benefit of them will be lost.

4. On the new guidelines, a link to the signature guidelines would be helpful. Many posters don't know what they are, but they carry point penalties, and a simple link could clear up any ambiguity.

It seems many people tend not to read sticky threads :(
But since you asked, here are the sig guidelines:

Your graphics may not exceed 550 pixels in width in total and or 200 pixels in height individually.

There is a limit of 3 graphics not including smilies.

Clipart may not exceed a cumulative size of 50,000 bytes (50k)

You may have up to 12 lines of text maximum in your signature inclusive of any code required to post your selected graphics

Links that lead to other sites must follow the rules stated in The DIS posting guidelines

The DIS reserves the right to remove any clipart, even if it meets these standards, that causes technical problems with the boards, or that we deem inappropriate.

If you have any questions or need help please visit our Tech Support Board

Please note that the Official WISH clipart is exempt from these rules as are the Official Sponsor graphics.

I have a question regarding this "new" point system.

I received a one point violation a while back, maybe a couple of weeks ago. I believe it was Carolmn that contacted me. At that time I'm pretty sure she told me the points never expire. Is that true?

Also, I agree with what Jimmia has posted here. It took a kind pm from a Diser before it sank in. Jimmia expanded on that pm. This is YOUR forum and you guys can "police" it however you see fit. If I'm CHOOSING to not follow stated rules then I should recieve violations and/or banning.

I know from my perspective and I'm sure Greenban's, things generally are not intentional.

Bottom line, this is a great forum and this new system should ensure it stays that way.

Edit: my point violation was listed there. It was assessed by Carol. It says expired. I thought she told me they never expire? Either way I like the system put into place even if it will likely effect me.

Since you can see them (I honestly don't know if everyone can...I hope not), notice that they are for two different posts. The system will automatically prevent more than one warning or infraction on any one post.

I'm guessing, if you really did ignore yourself :lmao: that you'll be able to fix it through your userCP buddy/ignore list

Greenban, I checked and I cannot see your infractions, so yes it is private.

This system is arbitrary, unfair and ridiculous. How can geenban and dumbo71 have points while I don't?

No worries though, I'm sure Tony will let me rent his.

I have a question regarding this "new" point system.

I received a one point violation a while back, maybe a couple of weeks ago. I believe it was Carolmn that contacted me. At that time I'm pretty sure she told me the points never expire. Is that true?

...(snip)..........Edit: my point violation was listed there. It was assessed by Carol. It says expired. I thought she told me they never expire? Either way I like the system put into place even if it will likely effect me.

I kept a copy of the PMs that I sent you and just reviewed them. There is some "boiler plate" language (words at the top of the PM above the ----- and words at the bottom below the ------) that goes along with the infraction PM. The boiler plate stuff says that serious infractions never expire. The part I wrote made no mention of points at all.

FWIW, I sent that before the system was officially online and before the webmasters assigned points and expirations to the various infractions. Everything was set to the default value at that time.

I kept a copy of the PMs that I sent you and just reviewed them. There is some "boiler plate" language (words at the top of the PM above the ----- and words at the bottom below the ------) that goes along with the infraction PM. The boiler plate stuff says that serious infractions never expire. The part I wrote made no mention of points at all.

FWIW, I sent that before the system was officially online and before the webmasters assigned points and expirations to the various infractions. Everything was set to the default value at that time.

Thanks I didn't have that pm anymore to reference. That clears things up.

Be careful, Tony! You may have just committed your first infraction under the new guidelines:

1. FOR SALE posts: For sale ads are strictly prohibited on any of the DISboards.

My dearest LisaS:

My post clearly said for rent. Nothing is being sold.

(Another reason to join the PDRA, we are full of these techniques! ;)

-Tony

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter