New HA Rooms on the Magic

StephenKay

DVC Member VWL 2001
I am on he Magic as we speak and spoke to both the Captain and Hotel Director at the Castaway club meeting yesterday and asked a few questions about the upcoming drydock regarding HA rooms and they are making two further rooms accessible one on deck 8 outside balcony and a further deck 7 inside cat 10 from what they said. Hope this helps.

And hopefully only people with a true need book them versus what we have seen with some folks booking them on opening day of bookings with absolutely no physical need for one. More space, larger balcony and view of the wake isn't a physical need IMHO . Glad the Magic is getting more and hopefully some folks will develop some sort of honesty and integrity ethics :)

Just wondering if you know which cabin # it is, or if it's aft or front of ship? We have a 4E category cabin booked for October 2014 and it would be a bummer if this were the cabin that gets renovated.:confused3

And hopefully only people with a true need book them versus what we have seen with some folks booking them on opening day of bookings with absolutely no physical need for one. More space, larger balcony and view of the wake isn't a physical need IMHO . Glad the Magic is getting more and hopefully some folks will develop some sort of honesty and integrity ethics :)

I Totally agree!:thumbsup2

That's why I am not posting the stateroom numbers, I have asked to the director to look at the disability criteria.

Ps the shorts decision was an on shore decision, not wholly supported on board.

I completely agree:thumbsup2

I would ask that people not judge people coming out of handicapped rooms: we booked a *GT rate for our Med cruise and we were assigned a HA room. It was a nice room, but we did not ask for it and would have given it up if someone needed it. Did not experience any judgement, but I was nervous someone might think we had booked that room in particular.

I completely agree:thumbsup2

I would ask that people not judge people coming out of handicapped rooms: we booked a *GT rate for our Med cruise and we were assigned a HA room. It was a nice room, but we did not ask for it and would have given it up if someone needed it. Did not experience any judgement, but I was nervous someone might think we had booked that room in particular.

We have seen that before as well. One couple was assigned a HA room for EBTA who actually called DCL upon finding out (*GT rate) to ask to let someone else use it who needed it. DCL said not necessary and would not move them.

But I have also seen folks book a HA cabin on opening day (over a year in advance) who have never booked a HA cabin before (because they share a list of previous cruises and cabin numbers... none of which were HA). Then when another family asks for a HA cabin who needs it, there is no HA availability. That's what bothers me. (I'm a home based TA and had checked for a family on a particular sailing.)

But your scenario - *GT cabins filled by DCL after PIF date a short time to set sail - is completely different than Joe Blow booking a HA cabin for larger verandah on aft of ship on opening day of bookings.

I was soooo thankful the HA cabin nextdoor to us on our 12-night Med cruise this summer (on NCL) was actually used by a family of 4 with a father who was wheelchair bound. That family could have not traveled otherwise had someone booked that cabin just for the space luxury.

But I have also seen folks book a HA cabin on opening day (over a year in advance) who have never booked a HA cabin before (because they share a list of previous cruises and cabin numbers... none of which were HA).

I'm not disputing that there are self-centered, inconsiderate people who book a HA room when not medically necessary, but just the fact that someone previously sailed in non-HA cabins does not mean that they don't have a legitimate need. Circumstances change.

I'm not disputing that there are self-centered, inconsiderate people who book a HA room when not medically necessary, but just the fact that someone previously sailed in non-HA cabins does not mean that they don't have a legitimate need. Circumstances change.

Very true. As is not all handicaps are obvious, visible or something the party wishes to discuss. Glad they're adding additional HA rooms.

THIS!! Why automatically assume the worst in people?

THIS!! Why automatically assume the worst in people?

Well the truth be known, there have been people on these boards who have posted they maneuver to get a HA room because of the extra space and that they did not have handicaps. They have flat out said it should be 1st come, 1st served to be able to reserve the HA rooms.

So the fact is there are some people who do take ha rooms when they do not have handicaps!

Kinda sad isn't it?

AKK

At least on the Dream and Fantasy, remember that there are rooms that were originally stated as HA but failed inspection. They look like HA, they are big but simply can't fit a wheelchair thru the door by a narrow amount.

Well the truth be known, there have been people on these boards who have posted they maneuver to get a HA room because of the extra space and that they did not have handicaps. They have flat out said it should be 1st come, 1st served to be able to reserve the HA rooms.

So the fact is there are some people who do take ha rooms when they do not have handicaps!

Kinda sad isn't it?

AKK

I understand that, but I was agreeing with a PP who was saying that yes, there are selfish people who will book HA rooms when they don't need them, but there are definite reasons when people who haven't needed one before now do. Just as one random (and NOT specific but general) example... Those who lost limbs in the Boston Marathon bombing may now require HA rooms.

I just don't think it's right to automatically assume that someone who "suddenly" needs one is booking it for the wrong reasons - especially if they never have booked one before.

It used to be true that if a family were booked into, or placed into an accessible room by DCL via GTY, and they didn't have a medical needs form on file, and someone called NEEDING to book an H/C room, DCL would contact the original passengers (the ones without a need or a form) and work with them to move them, usually it would be an upgrade. But DCL will no longer do that. All they will say now is "All of the accessible rooms are booked." And I think that's disappointing.

Every ship I've been on, I feel, needs more accessible rooms, especially with balconies.

su_A_ve said:
At least on the Dream and Fantasy, remember that there are rooms that were originally stated as HA but failed inspection. They look like HA, they are big but simply can't fit a wheelchair thru the door by a narrow amount.

I've not heard that about any rooms on the Dream or Fantasy. I HAVE heard, many times over the years, that the two one bedroom accessible staterooms, far aft, on the Magic and Wonder had problems with the emergency call buttons not being wired properly, and some people felt that therefore, they couldn't/shouldn't be held for someone with needs only...but DCL did hold them anyway. At least they did before they changed the policy and started letting people book H/C rooms online.

DCL via GTY

That happened to me recently on the Dream. The cabin was 50% wider than a regular room, but you lose one of the greatest features of DCL staterooms: the split bath. In order to accommodate wheelchairs using the toilet and shower, it's one big room. I think that unless you're alone in the cabin, the lack of split bath can more than offset the extra room, so hopefully that provides a dis-incentive for people to book them without need.

Here's a funny story about my experience in the HA room. In addition to a doorbell, one of the features is an automatic door. When you scan your cardkey outside, it opens automatically. When I first got to my cabin, I unpacked my clothes, and then I wanted to change and had to use the bathroom. So, it happened to be convenient to take my clothes off, use the bathroom, then get dressed in my new outfit. So, with my clothes completely off, I go into the bathroom for the first time. There's this big button on the wall just outside the bathroom that's labeled "Open Door". I assume it's for the bathroom door, as it's right next to it. But it opens the main cabin door when pressed, and there's no way to stop it by pressing it again. The main cabin door opens and stays open for 30 seconds. Very fortunately for everyone involved, I was able to dart inside the bathroom and close that door before anyone happened to walk by.

I've not heard that about any rooms on the Dream or Fantasy.

Most of the 8As were designed to be HA but current deck plans only show one on deck 6 (6014) as carrying the HA designation. So something happened there for sure.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

, but you lose one of the greatest features of DCL staterooms: the split bath.

I totally understand why these are such a big deal and why so many people love them, but as a person who travels alone, I find them a bit irritating! LOL!

I understand that, but I was agreeing with a PP who was saying that yes, there are selfish people who will book HA rooms when they don't need them, but there are definite reasons when people who haven't needed one before now do. Just as one random (and NOT specific but general) example... Those who lost limbs in the Boston Marathon bombing may now require HA rooms.

I just don't think it's right to automatically assume that someone who "suddenly" needs one is booking it for the wrong reasons - especially if they never have booked one before.

OK..my error, I misread your post (part of the problem of getting old).

Yes, in this light I totally agree with you!.:thumbsup2

AKK

Absolutely! Yes - life changes and some folks get to where they truly need a HA cabin. I was never implying all people who book HA rooms 18 months in advance on opening day of bookings and had never been in one in their other dozens of cruises are faking it.

However, what I personally observed, some are faking it. I know they may look just fine walking down the hall and at all the functions onboard but still have an underlying need for one.

Maybe a suggestion: Don't publish a list of cabins of your past and upcoming cruises to brag about being in the Walt Suite or that you've been on this and that cruise. Don't book a HA cabin for a 14-nt cruise.... yet other cruise cabins you have booked in-between posting about your HA cabin and the actual HA cruise are not HA cabins. (Um, so on booking date you felt you needed a HA cabin 18 months away, but the other cruises you have on your upcoming list are not HA. And after that HA cruise you also have cruises on your list with cabin as GTY . Most people needing a HA cabin do not book GTY because they truly need a HA cabin, which are so limited, and a GTY won't guarantee them a HA cabin. Just seems strange IMHO)

But, I could be totally wrong. They could have just predicted 18 months in advance they would need a HA cabin for the 14-night cruise but the cruises before/after that would not need HA. I wish I could predict my medical ailments in advance like that. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!