New England tips?

Neon Cactus

Old Run Disney Addict
My daughter was accepted into the summer program at Jacob's Pillow in Western Massachusetts. I'm dropping her off for three weeks and with my wife and daughter on a trip, my first thought was I should just fly down to Orlando, but there are a few places I'd like to see in New England and I'm not sure when I'll get up that way again.

So here's my itinerary, which I'm either going to do right after I drop her off or before I pick her up, so something like 6 or 7 nights total). I want to go to Maine and see Acadia National Park and I've been a huge Stephen King fan for years, so I have to see Bangor (and they have a Stephen King tour there). Then I think I'd drive across the mountains in New Hampshire over to Vermont and go to the Ben and Jerry's Factory tour and Stowe. Then I'd like to see Fort Ticonderoga, then go to Lake Placid and see the Olympic sites, possibly do the bobsled run, then go to Alexandria Bay and do the Thousand Island boat tour right on the border of Canada. I think I'll have time to fit in a trip to Niagara Falls to do Maid of the Mist and then drive back and stop in Cooperstown for the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Does anyone have any other suggestions in that general area? I'm not planning to spend much time in Boston as I've been there fairly recently. I would like to see some of the covered bridges up in that area as well. Thanks!

I'm in southwest CT myself, but seems you won't be venturing my way. However, when I make the trip up to Stowe I hit up the Cabot Cheese Factory too if that's something you're interested in. It's not too far from Ben and Jerry's (which is a very sweet place to visit, pun intended). Hope you have a blast!

I've had to cancel a similar trip for August and you're making me sad. Sniff.

Lots of cool state parks if you're a hiker? Franconia notch, etc.

Also Vermont country store in Vermont if you're a shopper (I'm not, that's just on my moms bucket list.)

Do you like museums? Several of those. Biking? Islands? Some neat islands in Maine. Lighthouses.

I've lived in New England all of my 52 years. As such, I have the real New England mentality that if it's more than a couple hour drive, you need to pack a bag and stay the night! What you've described to do in a week's time sound absolute torturous to me!!! Although all the things are wonderful, it's just an awful lot that's not at all close by to one another. There are so many things to do in one area, that I might focus a little more closely. So pick Maine--Acadia, the seacoast, the White Mountains in New Hampshire--and stick with that. OR head over to New York and Vermont and all the things you've talking about there. There's just so much in any one of those areas that you could easily spend a week there. Trying to cram all of that in will just feel rushed. But that's my old-time New England opinion!

I agree with VillainFavs and think you are trying to cram way too much into such a short visit. I live in East / Central Vermont and the drive from here to Acadia is 5 1/2 hours and to Niagara Falls is 7 hours in the opposite direction. That is two of your seven days driving. I would choose one area and explore it more thoroughly, and plan to come back another time to explore the other.

Good luck, and enjoy your visit.

If you are passing though New Hampshire and the White Mountains, you will be near North Conway. If you need lodging for a night or two, you need to check this place out. Unbelievable. Top ten theme hotel in the world. We have stayed here a few times as we are only about 2 hours away.

http://adventuresuites.com/

You're not going to be able to do all that in 7 days. It's just way too spread out and there would be too much driving. It's a bit all over the place. Going from the Berkshires to Maine is a long drive and completely the opposite direction from other things you have listed (which aren't even in New England).

What do you mean by "that general area"? Because so far your trip includes a decent amount of space. :)

I would include Mystic, CT. We went there for our 15th wedding anniversary. We took a train & boat ride along the Connecticut River, visited an apple cider mill, and spent a day at the Mystic Aquarium. (Honestly, though, the train ride is probably better in the fall).

Acadia is incredible. Lots to do if you're a hiker. It's a smaller national park - so there are many day hikes.

Drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain for sunrise. You will have the first view of the sunrise in the United States. It's the highest point, closest to the coast, and about as far east as you can get. Hike the Beehive or Precipice trail. Cross to the island at low tide. Be sure to cross back before the tide comes in. Thunder Hole is awesome as well.

Drive the auto road to the top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. Great Views. I believe it is the most prominent peak east of the Mississippi, but not the highest. In southern New Hampshire, Mt. Monadnock is a great hike. Great views at the top. Not too tough of a hike, but there are a couple spots that you need to use your hands.

I agree with others. Wouldn't venture too far out of Maine / New Hampshire / Vermont given your time constraints. Depending where you live, Niagara would be a stop on the way home - but not a quick jog over to see it and come back.

Once you get that far northeast, you lose a lot of freeway options. You have to head back down to Mass on I 89 / 91 to catch I - 90 across. Or I-87 south is across Lake Champlain from Burlington, which means driving around or waiting for the car ferry.

Congrats to your daughter on being accepted to Jacob's Pillow!

We live just outside of Bangor and did a driving loop one year. Went from Bangor across NH (drove up Mt. Washington and rode the gondola up Wildcat) to VT, where we toured Cabot Creamery, went to the Trapp Lodge in Stowe, and toured Ben&Jerry's. We then drove down to Saratoga Springs and over to the Finger Lakes where we did some wine tasting. We explored Ithaca and went home across western Mass and back to Maine. We took a week and never stayed in one place for more than one night. I really don't think you have enough time to do everything on your itinerary!

In Bar Harbor, do all the stuff at Acadia that everyone recommended, but don't forget to spend a day poking around town, walking along the Marginal Way, etc. There are all kinds of fun things to do in BH, including kayak tours, riding on lobster boats or schooners, going whale/dolphin/puffin watching, visit the Oceanarium, etc. Honestly, the SK tour sounds like a lot of money for not much of anything. With a little searching you could find/visit most of these places on your own... SK's house is on West Broadway and there's no missing it! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thanks so much for all of the tips. It's definitely an ambitious itinerary. Going to Niagara Falls might be a bit too much, but since it's just me after I drop my daughter off, I'm definitely one who tries to cram as much into my day on vacation as possible (I'm the person who finds a 7 night Disney World vacation where we're at the parks from open to close every day relaxing LOL). Niagara would be the first place cut and probably Cooperstown as well, because it's been over ten years but I have been there before (logic I definitely don't apply to Disney parks!). I appreciate the tips on other places to see. I'm undecided on doing the SK tour, but I do want to see Bangor and Acadia National Park and going through New Hampshire and Vermont as well. I don't know when I'll get there again, so those would be my top priorities, along with Lake Placid. I like the suggestions on other places to see in the area.

Has anyone done the Thousand Island tour in Alexandria Bay? I'd love to get your impressions. For me, it's all new and fun because I haven't seen it before, so I'd love to do it, but clearly my itinerary tends to be bigger than it should. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

If you are passing though New Hampshire and the White Mountains, you will be near North Conway. If you need lodging for a night or two, you need to check this place out. Unbelievable. Top ten theme hotel in the world. We have stayed here a few times as we are only about 2 hours away.

http://adventuresuites.com/

OK, this place looks awesome!! Right up my alley. I've never heard of it before, but I am going to look more at this. I like the Deserted Island room (which would be perfect for a solo traveler anyway).

OK, this place looks awesome!! Right up my alley. I've never heard of it before, but I am going to look more at this. I like the Deserted Island room (which would be perfect for a solo traveler anyway).
That was the first room we stayed in. Love that the clam bed opens and closes! The place is amazing and the staff is wonderful!

I guess it didn't register you were travelling solo. Might want to find a hiking buddy for some of the ones I mentioned. Precipice isn't a good idea to do alone. Google images, precipice trail and beehive trail in Acadia. You'll see what I mean.

Thanks for that tip. Yeah, I think with my clumsiness, hanging on the iron railings might not be ideal. That's why I've never made it up to the top of Half Dome.

Thanks to everyone for all of the tips. I think I've more or less got it finalized now. Instead of trying to cram everything into six days, I'm going out a week before her final show and will ultimately have 10 days. It's a busy itinerary but since it's just me and there's so much I want to see, everything seems to fit, timewise. They have a free 45 minute show that Saturday night at Jacobs Pillow, so I'm going to drive up there, but make a couple of stops in Sleepy Hollow (I just have to!) and time permitting, take a tour of West Point. Then going to Becket, MA to see the show and spend the night in Albany.
Day 2 - Drive to Cooperstown and be there when the Hall of Fame opens. Then drive to Niagara Falls and do Maid of the Mist, possibly Cave of the Winds and walk over to the Canada side.
Day 3 - Leave early and drive to Alexandria Bay for the boat tour of Thousand Islands. Then drive to Lake Placid and stay the night.
Day 4 - Do the Olympic Sites tour, possibly the Bobsled experience, then go to Fort Ticonderoga, then take a scenic drive up to Waterbury, VT and do the Ben and Jerry tour. Stay in Stowe.
Day 5 - Drive to Bartlett, NH and they have an alpine slide and alpine coaster there, so I'll do that for a while, then drive through the mountains over to Bangor, Maine and stay there.
Day 6 - Acadia National Park all day, then stay in Bangor
Day 7 - Start with the Stephen King tour and then drive down to near Boston. I found out the Red Sox are home against the Yankees and was able to get a ticket to the game.
Day 8 - Playing it by ear, there's a fair south of Boston, or Plimoth Plantation, or there's a living history event in Hillsborough, NH until early afternoon, then drive to Becket for my daughter's free show that night.
Day 9 - Some flexibility, I'm thinking of driving to Six Flags Great Escape in New York (I have an AP for the one in Texas that will get me in free). There's also a Six Flags near Springfield. Then my daughter's full show is that night.
Day 10 - Drive back to Newark and return the car, then go into New York City. I've wanted to go to 54 Below and that night they are having a reunion of Newsies cast. Not sure who will be there, but it should be good.
Day 11 - I fly home early and then it's right back to work. I'm looking forward to seeing as much as I can and I appreciate again all the help and suggestions.

I would not do Bangor-Acadia-Bangor. Do Bangor first, then drive down the coast. Or go all the way to Ellsworth to spend the night, get an early start in Acadia, then go back to Bangor. (But the drive down from Acadia is way more gorgeous than the Bangor drive, if you can take the time to do the coastal route.)

Have a great time!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for all of the tips. I think I've more or less got it finalized now. Instead of trying to cram everything into six days, I'm going out a week before her final show and will ultimately have 10 days. It's a busy itinerary but since it's just me and there's so much I want to see, everything seems to fit, timewise. They have a free 45 minute show that Saturday night at Jacobs Pillow, so I'm going to drive up there, but make a couple of stops in Sleepy Hollow (I just have to!) and time permitting, take a tour of West Point. Then going to Becket, MA to see the show and spend the night in Albany.
Day 2 - Drive to Cooperstown and be there when the Hall of Fame opens. Then drive to Niagara Falls and do Maid of the Mist, possibly Cave of the Winds and walk over to the Canada side.
Day 3 - Leave early and drive to Alexandria Bay for the boat tour of Thousand Islands. Then drive to Lake Placid and stay the night.
Day 4 - Do the Olympic Sites tour, possibly the Bobsled experience, then go to Fort Ticonderoga, then take a scenic drive up to Waterbury, VT and do the Ben and Jerry tour. Stay in Stowe.
Day 5 - Drive to Bartlett, NH and they have an alpine slide and alpine coaster there, so I'll do that for a while, then drive through the mountains over to Bangor, Maine and stay there.
Day 6 - Acadia National Park all day, then stay in Bangor
Day 7 - Start with the Stephen King tour and then drive down to near Boston. I found out the Red Sox are home against the Yankees and was able to get a ticket to the game.
Day 8 - Playing it by ear, there's a fair south of Boston, or Plimoth Plantation, or there's a living history event in Hillsborough, NH until early afternoon, then drive to Becket for my daughter's free show that night.
Day 9 - Some flexibility, I'm thinking of driving to Six Flags Great Escape in New York (I have an AP for the one in Texas that will get me in free). There's also a Six Flags near Springfield. Then my daughter's full show is that night.
Day 10 - Drive back to Newark and return the car, then go into New York City. I've wanted to go to 54 Below and that night they are having a reunion of Newsies cast. Not sure who will be there, but it should be good.
Day 11 - I fly home early and then it's right back to work. I'm looking forward to seeing as much as I can and I appreciate again all the help and suggestions.

First, I think you're nuts.

Second, if you have to choose between the Six Flags, I'd go to the one at Lake George. The one in Springfield is a dump by comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter