New DisneyParksBlog on MyMagic+ and FP+

Cloudless Nights

DIS Veteran
I don't know how I feel about the wristband thing..

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

At Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, we continually push the boundaries of creativity and innovation to deliver the best possible experience for our guests. We’re always looking for ways to take what we do and do it even better. Over the past few years, we’ve devoted considerable time and resources to create a more immersive, more seamless and more personal experience for each and every guest who spends time with us. I know there’s been significant speculation about these efforts among our fans, so we’re pleased to give you a glimpse into the work we are doing to take the entire Disney guest experience to the next level.

Some of these initiatives are more apparent and can already be seen by our guests – like our interactive queues at Walt Disney World Resort and the Enchanted Art on our cruise ships – while others are more behind-the-scenes and are focused on “how” visitors plan, access and enjoy their experiences with us. Over the next several months, we’ll be rolling out a collection of tools at the Walt Disney World Resort called MyMagic+ that will give guests more opportunities to customize and personalize their entire visit.

Like most people who visit Walt Disney World Resort, my family and I have our “must-do” attractions, and as the father of three boys, those attractions often end with the word “mountain.” Now, rather than dashing as a group, or even splitting up to gather FastPasses, imagine booking guaranteed ride times for your favorite shows and attractions even before setting foot in the park. With MyMagic+, guests will be able to do that and more, enabling them to spend more time together and creating an experience that’s better for everyone.

A major component of MyMagic+ is the new My Disney Experience website and mobile app, which gives guests planning their trip the latest information on all Walt Disney World Resort has to offer. We know that some people like to plan every aspect of their Disney vacation in advance while others like to plan very little, letting their day unfold spontaneously. No matter where guests fall in that spectrum, My Disney Experience gives them the flexibility to plan as much or as little as they’d like to create the exact Disney experience they want. They can book dining and other experiences and reserve times for their favorite attractions, shows and more through an enhanced FastPass system, FastPass+. Once they arrive, they can use their smart phones to spontaneously change their plans in the moment, exploring our parks at their own pace and getting the most out of their visit.

Linking the entire MyMagic+ experience together is an innovative piece of technology we developed called the MagicBand. Worn on the wrist, it will serve as a guest’s room key, theme park ticket, access to FastPass+ selections, PhotoPass card and optional payment account all rolled into one. We’ve began testing certain aspects of MyMagic+ in Florida last month and the early reactions we’ve gotten have been fantastic.

This collection of tools is another step forward in the ongoing evolution of our guest experience, giving us even more ways to help friends and family create the unforgettable Disney memories that they want most. We’ll be testing, adjusting and adding features to MyMagic+ and My Disney Experience over time and will continue to make improvements based on our guests’ feedback. We look forward to sharing more with you in the months ahead!

I think wristbands are irrelevant, because I'm sure you can just use an RFID card or something. It's the technology and new vacation style that is worth noting... hm, interesting article, though.

I think it is safe to assume Mr. Staggs and family do not have to run across the park for FP distribution, or split up their party, or wait in line. I found the "I feel your pain" tone not credible.

My concern remains the same: Disney is making certain assumptions about how guests act/react, based on iffy metrics, and may not be guessing correctly about which things guests will enjoy or find useful. It feels like change for the sake of change.

Blog entry makes clear they are leaving room to tweak the system. I wonder how much room for change there is, what would trigger it, and how rapdily it could be implemented.

Given the full on press release phase, it feels like we are close to true roll out. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I think it is safe to assume Mr. Staggs and family do not have to run across the park for FP distribution, or split up their party, or wait in line. I found the "I feel your pain" tone not credible.

LOL, that was my first thought too!

Followed closely by "I bet his kids will get to ride all THREE mountains in the MK in the same day without doing standby".

It was a very disingenuous piece to write if the rest of us who USED to be able to get FPs for all the headliners will now have to pick and choose.

In all seriousness, what do you do for a child? My DD5 will have that wristband lost in less than 10 minutes!!

It was a very disingenuous piece to write if the rest of us who USED to be able to get FPs for all the headliners will now have to pick and choose.

Disingenuous is the word that comes to my mind as well. DH says that he feels like the best days at Disney are over. I say its a state of mind, but it will be more difficult to enjoy Disney in the same relaxed manner I've come to enjoy.

Disingenuous is the word that comes to my mind as well. DH says that he feels like the best days at Disney are over. I say its a state of mind, but it will be more difficult to enjoy Disney in the same relaxed manner I've come to enjoy.

I am baffled by people who refer to Disney as some sort of "relaxed" vacation. Do these people visit multiple times a year? i could see that. I had a great time in June on my last visit but it wasn't anything I would consider "relaxing" as a whole.

They must have a different definition of relaxing than I do. I consider relaxing as my trip to Playa Del Carmen in Mexico at the all inclusive resort.

For our style I think it is great. When we went to Disney last year we did use the fastpass system but more in terms of the way casual guests use it...not commando.

We would grab a fastpass for something and then jump on another ride close by or to a character M&G untill it was our time...except at DHS so Ts...that was a total different approach lol...

However my son is still young and doesnt want to do the "scary" rides...we did do splash and test track but he said never again lol...

So being able to schedule some fastpasses without running around the part sounds great to me...hope the kinks are worked out for our June trip.

I don't know how I feel about the wristband thing..

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

At Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, we continually push the boundaries of creativity and innovation to deliver the best possible experience for our guests. We’re always looking for ways to take what we do and do it even better. Over the past few years, we’ve devoted considerable time and resources to create a more immersive, more seamless and more personal experience for each and every guest who spends time with us. I know there’s been significant speculation about these efforts among our fans, so we’re pleased to give you a glimpse into the work we are doing to take the entire Disney guest experience to the next level.

Some of these initiatives are more apparent and can already be seen by our guests – like our interactive queues at Walt Disney World Resort and the Enchanted Art on our cruise ships – while others are more behind-the-scenes and are focused on “how” visitors plan, access and enjoy their experiences with us. Over the next several months, we’ll be rolling out a collection of tools at the Walt Disney World Resort called MyMagic+ that will give guests more opportunities to customize and personalize their entire visit.

Like most people who visit Walt Disney World Resort, my family and I have our “must-do” attractions, and as the father of three boys, those attractions often end with the word “mountain.” Now, rather than dashing as a group, or even splitting up to gather FastPasses, imagine booking guaranteed ride times for your favorite shows and attractions even before setting foot in the park. With MyMagic+, guests will be able to do that and more, enabling them to spend more time together and creating an experience that’s better for everyone.

A major component of MyMagic+ is the new My Disney Experience website and mobile app, which gives guests planning their trip the latest information on all Walt Disney World Resort has to offer. We know that some people like to plan every aspect of their Disney vacation in advance while others like to plan very little, letting their day unfold spontaneously. No matter where guests fall in that spectrum, My Disney Experience gives them the flexibility to plan as much or as little as they’d like to create the exact Disney experience they want. They can book dining and other experiences and reserve times for their favorite attractions, shows and more through an enhanced FastPass system, FastPass+. Once they arrive, they can use their smart phones to spontaneously change their plans in the moment, exploring our parks at their own pace and getting the most out of their visit.

Linking the entire MyMagic+ experience together is an innovative piece of technology we developed called the MagicBand. Worn on the wrist, it will serve as a guest’s room key, theme park ticket, access to FastPass+ selections, PhotoPass card and optional payment account all rolled into one. We’ve began testing certain aspects of MyMagic+ in Florida last month and the early reactions we’ve gotten have been fantastic.

This collection of tools is another step forward in the ongoing evolution of our guest experience, giving us even more ways to help friends and family create the unforgettable Disney memories that they want most. We’ll be testing, adjusting and adding features to MyMagic+ and My Disney Experience over time and will continue to make improvements based on our guests’ feedback. We look forward to sharing more with you in the months ahead!

Re: the bolded ~ Yes, you will be spending a lot more time together ~ in lines.

If their website epic fail is any indication of how well this new "collection of tools" is going to work, it will be a disaster for a long time.

However my son is still young and doesnt want to do the "scary" rides...we did do splash and test track but he said never again lol...

But what are you going to do when he surprises you one day and decided TODAY is the day he's ready to ride one of the big ones...... and the waits are all over an hour? And you scheduled the rides he liked LAST trip.

I suppose I'm lucky my kids are older and now finally do all the thrill rides.

If I had scheduled ahead on this last trip, I would have completely laughed as I skipped right over Tower of Terror in the selection process. You know what? Riding it 5 times one night helped it become one of her new favorites. We NEVER could have done that under the new system.

I am baffled by people who refer to Disney as some sort of "relaxed" vacation. Do these people visit multiple times a year? i could see that. I had a great time in June on my last visit but it wasn't anything I would consider "relaxing" as a whole.

They must have a different definition of relaxing than I do. I consider relaxing as my trip to Playa Del Carmen in Mexico at the all inclusive resort.

With the old fp system, we got very good at taking it slowly and making it work to fit our needs. We could visit an area of a park, do what we wanted to and grab a fp for a family favorite. We could come back whenever we wanted to to use that fp. No criss crossing the park necessary. We did jump out of bed early to enjoy the relatively quiet morning hours. We also often leave the parks in the early evening to enjoy the pool and usually schedule a resort day. With the free dining promotions and the old flexible fp system, this was one of the most relaxing vacations I take. I am sad to see the changes.

Re: the bolded ~ Yes, you will be spending a lot more time together ~ in lines.

If their website epic fail is any indication of how well this new "collection of tools" is going to work, it will be a disaster for a long time.

Well.......... just to be clear.

Tom's kids will still be able to ride anything with Mountain in the title. Without a line. :rolleyes1

Well.......... just to be clear.

Tom's kids will still be able to ride anything with Mountain in the title. Without a line. :rolleyes1

Right. Which is wonderful for Tom and his kids. :rolleyes1

The peons will be the ones standing in long stand-by lines. ;)

Right. Which is wonderful for Tom and his kids. :rolleyes1

The peons will be the ones standing in long stand-by lines. ;)

But they were hoping we'd be so dazzled by their new technology we just wouldn't NOTICE we were actually standing in more lines. You know..... instead of less.

UNCFanatik said:
You be a parent and take measures to ensure the bracelet is not lost.

Well that was quite rude. Do you have any small children? Obviously any parent would try their best, but kids are very capable of pulling off magic tricks. At least with a KTTW card you slipped it in your bag and didn't need it anymore.

.....Given the full on press release phase, it feels like we are close to true roll out. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
I would say all of this is true. :scared1:

....If their website epic fail is any indication of how well this new "collection of tools" is going to work, it will be a disaster for a long time.
Seeing as much of this new venture is based on use of Disney's websites and interaction with them, and given their abysmal history of same, I fully agree.

Well that was quite rude. Do you have any small children? Obviously any parent would try their best, but kids are very capable of pulling off magic tricks. At least with a KTTW card you slipped it in your bag and didn't need it anymore.

My daughter is 17. When she was 4, we went to an all inclusive resort and she had to wear a wristband all week and as a parent I made sure she did not lose it or try to remove it. Went to several places throughout her childhood where she had to wear wristbands and not once has she lost one.

I highly encourage everyone to post their questions/concerns in the comment section of that article so the Disney Brass can actually see all the issues that we have raised here for the past several weeks...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter