New DCL App

Marc D

DIS Veteran
DCL just made available version 2.0 of the DCL Navigator app. It seems you can now view your booked activities and dining rotation when onboard. There’s still only one feature when your are not onboard, but the countdown changed its look. No more Mickey suitcase.

Ok...I had to go and check this out for myself....I can't believe they changed the clock to BORING!

PREVIOUS CLOCK

IMG_1463.PNG

NEW CLOCK

IMG_1464.PNG

There is literally no comparison. Come on DCL...bring back the suitcase or at least something a little exciting...something nautical maybe? Guests love the anticipation of their cruise and that new clock does not instill any sense of upcoming Magic, Wonder, Dream or Fantasy!

MJ

Agreed. The new countdown is pretty unexciting. I wonder why they thought this stark change would be an improvement?
This is typical of application design in general. Oftentimes, dev teams do not realize the love their users have for a specific feature. They change it and get hit with a massive and unexpected backlash. That’s why the best tool in application design is using focus groups or surveys. Usually, Disney is pretty good at testing ideas with guests, but not this time. The best way to be heard is to leave comments in the App Store.

We're not flying out until this summer, but I already downloaded the app. My clock still looks like the old suitcase. I wonder if I have to reset my clock or reinstall? I do like the suitcase clock.

We're not flying out until this summer, but I already downloaded the app. My clock still looks like the old suitcase. I wonder if I have to reset my clock or reinstall? I do like the suitcase clock.
when you update the app to the newer version, it will change

I am disappointed that they still haven't gotten that chat feature to work as it should. I'm no app developer, so maybe there is a good explanation for this, but why do I have to keep this app active and in the foreground to receive chat notifications? I can't think of any other app I use that has such requirements for notifications.

The app is still pretty worthless unless you are in the terminal or on the ship. A list of your booked activities on one screen is nice, but your dining rotation is already on your KTTW card. And there are plenty of other, better countdown timers out there to be had for $0.99.

This hardly seems like a full-iteration update (2.0). Color me unimpressed.

Mine didn't update either and still has the suitcase. I have an Android phone. In looking at the specs for the version 2.0 update of the DCL navigator, they require Android version 5.0 and up. I have version 4.4, so I can't update it. I'm also cruising this summer...will have to talk to DH to see if he has any ideas of what to do. Our kids have newer phones, so theirs will probably work...it's just us 'old' people...with our 'old' phones.

I am glad that you can see your booked activities on there. I just came back from my first cruise and I didn't print out the day by day itinerary sheet from the website because I thought I'd be able to access that on the app.

It would have been nice to see all my excursion times and character greet times on there.

I am disappointed that they still haven't gotten that chat feature to work as it should. I'm no app developer, so maybe there is a good explanation for this, but why do I have to keep this app active and in the foreground to receive chat notifications? I can't think of any other app I use that has such requirements for notifications.

The app is still pretty worthless unless you are in the terminal or on the ship. A list of your booked activities on one screen is nice, but your dining rotation is already on your KTTW card. And there are plenty of other, better countdown timers out there to be had for $0.99.

This hardly seems like a full-iteration update (2.0). Color me unimpressed.

My IT DH and friends were able to get notifications set up for us on the app, though I'm not sure if had to keep the app in the foreground to receive. I know some people say they are unable to receive notifications at all, but I know we did get them.

As for the new countdown look, I miss the suitcase already :(

I thought something was wrong when I logged in to the DCL App to check my countdown. I prefer the suitcase as well!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter