New Airport Security Measures

GirlDreamer

DIS Veteran
I've just received the following email from TC:

Dear Mrs ......

We’re looking forward to welcoming you on board your flight with Thomas Cook Airlines very soon.

Your journey starts at the airport, and we have some important information to share with you regarding check-in. The Transport Security Administration (TSA) in the US has implemented additional security measures that all airlines must comply with. As a result, your flight will depart from a specific desk at the airport, rather than our communal check-in area. Look out for the desk numbers on the departures notice board when you arrive at the airport.

This additional baggage screening may take a little longer than usual, so please do take the opportunity to arrive at the airport in plenty of time to help us get you through this process as quickly as possible.

As a result of the new requirements, we are no longer able to offer the Sundown Check-In service on our US flights. The last service will be on Sunday 20th May, for flights departing on Monday 21st of May 2018.

Have a great flight and we look forward to welcoming you on board very soon.

Kind Regards

Thomas Cook Group Airlines Operations

Does anyone know anything about this? Does this mean we have to have our hand luggage go through security twice, that it's going to be screened by the gate (like in Schippol)? I don't know if it's just me, but I'm finding the way this email is worded a bit confusing. But then again, I've never flown with TC before, so I don't know if they do things different from other airlines...

It just means they'll have a specific desk for you to check in at on your way home, they used to share Desks and the bags would get mixed up. I believe they are carrying out more x rays on hold luggage.

I wonder if this will affect the Virgin disney springs check in (its still there isnt it?!)

I wonder if this will affect the Virgin disney springs check in (its still there isnt it?!)

It shouldn't affect it since this policy is for Thomas Cook flights and Disney Springs check in is for Virgin flights, which do have their own dedicated check-ins anyway.

We flew out to Orlando in May 14th the week before they stopped sundown checkin.

We still did the check in but they didn’t give us our boarding cards till next morning. We had to go back to the gates, which were the same gates as before, and pick them up. They said there would be extra security measures as it was a flight bound for America.

Turned up next morning and went to Premium check in desk to get Boarding Cards and there were staff going through the line asking how you got to the airport, did you pack your own bag and those type of questions. It wasn’t anything different to normal procedure.

He did laugh when he asked us how we got to the airport that morning.......we told him we walked over the Skywalk from the Radisson........lol.......

But, they did say twilight would be ending the following week for all USA flights. And it has now stopped.

We flew out to Orlando in May 14th the week before they stopped sundown checkin.

We still did the check in but they didn’t give us our boarding cards till next morning. We had to go back to the gates, which were the same gates as before, and pick them up. They said there would be extra security measures as it was a flight bound for America.

Turned up next morning and went to Premium check in desk to get Boarding Cards and there were staff going through the line asking how you got to the airport, did you pack your own bag and those type of questions. It wasn’t anything different to normal procedure.

He did laugh when he asked us how we got to the airport that morning.......we told him we walked over the Skywalk from the Radisson........lol.......

But, they did say twilight would be ending the following week for all USA flights. And it has now stopped.

So there wasn't any extra bag checks by the gate or anything? I half expected them to have security scanners by the gate like they do in Schiphol in Amsterdam as it mentions additional baggage screening, so I was worried about not being able to buy my own drinks(non alcoholic) in the airport to bring on the flight.

So there wasn't any extra bag checks by the gate or anything? I half expected them to have security scanners by the gate like they do in Schiphol in Amsterdam as it mentions additional baggage screening, so I was worried about not being able to buy my own drinks(non alcoholic) in the airport to bring on the flight.

None at all.

Our hand luggage was only checked at the usual points, and aside the questions in the line it was no different to normal. Apart from having to go back in the morning to get boarding cards.

We fly out with them next month again, and only difference will be no Twilight. Will just do bag drop in the morning as normal.

Virgin Atlantic are still advertising Twilight Check In at Gatwick on their web page?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!