Never say Neverland: Easter '18, May/June '18, July '18, Sept '18, Nov '18 TRs (8/22 UPDATE!)

All I can say is, I hope that groundhog can really predict the future because this...

upload_2019-2-5_13-57-55.jpeg

...is very awesome! I'm playing tennis OUTDOORS today and I cannot wait. I took a nice long walk at lunchtime...it was hard to return to work.

Sadly it seems this won't last...

upload_2019-2-5_13-59-5.jpeg

All the rest of my tennis this weekend is indoors though.

I still don't have a next vacation to look forward to right now, which is really a very unfamiliar situation for me. I just keep telling myself I need to get through the next few months, recover from Christmas and taxes, and then I can plan something maybe. What I don't know. It appears there is a trip to Florida in September in my future, but south of Tampa for a wedding of one of my cousins. Oh and a short trip to New Jersey at the end of this month to meet up with a bunch of moms from an internet forum I started posting on back before my youngest child was born...and he's now 14.5 years old. I've never met any of these women, and yet about 10 of us are meeting up at a beach house in New Jersey owned by one of them. I'm looking forward to it as I feel like I've known them forever, even if only virtually.

Oh and a short trip to New Jersey at the end of this month to meet up with a bunch of moms from an internet forum I started posting on back before my youngest child was born...and he's now 14.5 years old. I've never met any of these women, and yet about 10 of us are meeting up at a beach house in New Jersey owned by one of them. I'm looking forward to it as I feel like I've known them forever, even if only virtually.
That sounds wonderful! Where in NJ?
I do think you need to plan that Festival of the Arts trip :D

That sounds wonderful! Where in NJ?
I do think you need to plan that Festival of the Arts trip :D

So the address is Mantoloking, NJ for the beach house. It is about 3 hours from my house. It should be fun...of course hanging with a bunch of people I've never met in real life but have known via the internet since before my 3rd kid was born.

I think the Festival trip sounds fabulous and since it is in 2020 I won't be breaking my NO Disney trips in 2019 rule.

So in other news...my daughter and I decided to try our hand at making no-sew fleece blankets yesterday. I think I have a blanket for almost every day of the month...ok maybe a slight exaggeration. The local fabric store had sooo many selections...and too many Disney ones...but this is what I ended up making:

upload_2019-2-11_16-52-53.jpeg

Now I just need a Disney cruise that I can take this on!

Last edited:

Just came by to say hi!! I used to follow your TR's ages ago but kind of lost you when I went MIA on the DIS for a while lol!! Love the blankets!!

Just came by to say hi!! I used to follow your TR's ages ago but kind of lost you when I went MIA on the DIS for a while lol!! Love the blankets!!

Hello there and thanks. I popped over briefly to your PTR...I would love to do a RunDisney event myself someday. I can't wait to read about it!

So with weather like today...again...it's easy to enjoy Maryland. It is 64 and sunny out...took a nice long walk at lunchtime...fabulous.

However it's supposed to rain again next week...maybe a sleet/snow event with it...Tuesday to Wednesday. DH and I were contemplating a very very quick overnight trip to Florida, taking advantage of some super-cheap flights on Spirit and trying them for the first time...but then the weather made us reconsider. It wouldn't be fair to leave my son and FIL to transport our other kids around in bad weather. Also the prices increased.

HOWEVER there are some cheap flights next weekend...and now I'm seriously trying to push for a 2-night trip to Florida for that timeframe, returning home on Monday night. DH hasn't responded to this yet so we'll see if he is up for it. We would only be doing the Universal parks for this trip on Sunday and Monday.

If that doesn't work out, I'm also considering another overnight only in early March with two of the kids with us. We'll see.

I know it's all crazy. I just want to get out and spend a day walking around in the sun of Florida.

So it's been a roller coaster of a week or so here. Just last week I was still stalking flights to Florida for March, and even changed a doc appointment in case I wanted to fly out on a particular day which had a low cost.

Then I found out about a relative in California and that his illness (stupid cancer) has taken a turn for the worse. Two months ago he flew out to Maryland and we had a big family gathering for him, and we all knew it would probably be the last time we would see him, but we were hopeful. It sounds like his battle will be ending soon and I am hoping to be able to fly out to California for his funeral to support my cousin, his only survivor. That means saving my leave, and my money, since this flight will most likely be last minute and may cost me quite a bit more than my short jaunt to Florida would cost me.

And yet, in the midst of that, we somehow got on this kick this weekend to check out a few used vehicles in our area. Yes I did just buy one...for myself. The plan was to hand down my current vehicle (2008 Honda Pilot with 173K miles) to my daughter to drive full-time once she gets her license (perhaps at the end of April). Yet as solid as this vehicle was, it has some things that need to be addressed and my husband doesn't want to throw more money into it. My daughter's dream car? A Toyota RAV4, at least 2013 model.

As it turns out, two of them show up in our radar this weekend, within my price range. As we are driving (about 45 minutes away) to look at the first one, we get an email that it's being sold. My daughter is mourning the loss of the vehicle we didn't even see and this second one pops up, no photos online, and closer to our house. Late Saturday night we drive out to see it...and it's in great shape, great price, we start the loan application process on it since we aren't prepared to buy anything outright and don't have any pre-approved loan in place. By about 8:30pm we are walking away with keys to this new vehicle...and my daughter is finally driving away with her dream car. She is still smiling about it today I'm sure.

Now begins the process of offloading my current vehicle, the Pilot that I can't see to a person because it just needs too many things done to it right now. Nothing major...but enough. I spend the weekend taking it to two different dealerships and getting prices from them...both offer the same amount. I have one additional dealership to look at it today, and if their number isn't any better I'll take it to the first once because I've dealt with them before and know the process. Then I can get it off my insurance. Oh and we are also planning to refi the loan the dealership gave us, simply because we can get a better rate and terms and I wasn't happy with their loan process at all but didn't want to waste more time there Saturday night.

I have no idea what I'll do in two more years when my 3rd child needs a vehicle to drive. Technically he can get his learner's permit a year from now but he won't have nearly as many options for driving as his siblings have had since with them we've had to drive them to/from school and it was easy for them to get experience every week doing that. He will have a sister available to drive him to/from school for the next two years, meaning no reason for him to need to drive. I doubt he'll be in a hurry anyway.

So with a new car payment and a potential cross-country flight coming up, my plans for any Disney trips are permanently on hold. We'll see how the next few weeks pan out.

Last edited:
d for the loan I wanted, and by 10pm Saturday night I was driving home my 2015 vehicle with every bell and whistle I could ever imagine on it. My 2008 vehicle does not even have bluetooth so this is a big adjustment for m
This is me! I have a 2008 Durango that I love and really don't want to get rid of-don't like the newer ones-but it's time. So no Bluetooth for me either! My stepson works at a dealership, he and my DIL both just got Tiguans and I think that's what I'll get. I said something about a CD player and he informed me if I lease a 2019 Tiguan it won't have one and I was like what???? No CD player? Lol. Ricky has a 2013 Corolla, kids car is newer than mine :sad2:

So very sorry about your cousin, my thoughts and prayers go to you all :hug:

This is me! I have a 2008 Durango that I love and really don't want to get rid of-don't like the newer ones-but it's time. So no Bluetooth for me either! My stepson works at a dealership, he and my DIL both just got Tiguans and I think that's what I'll get. I said something about a CD player and he informed me if I lease a 2019 Tiguan it won't have one and I was like what???? No CD player? Lol. Ricky has a 2013 Corolla, kids car is newer than mine :sad2:

So very sorry about your cousin, my thoughts and prayers go to you all :hug:

Actually both of the 2015 Toyotas we just bought DO have CD Players...I have a CD in mine...my daughter just streams from her phone or uses the XM Radio (that she gets FREE for the next 3 months...then that's gone). I loved my 2008 Honda Pilot, and was sad to see it go. I don't like the style of the new vehicles as much as my old one, but I get it.

My oldest son drives a 2009 Toyota Camry, so his is now older than mine (he did have one of the new cars in our house for a while) but he has far less miles on his than either of the vehicles we just bought. I just couldn't buy brand new at the prices, and I know both of these Toyotas should last us for a while. We now own 4 Toyotas and my husband's Ford Mustang Convertible. Now of course my husband is talking about replacing one or both of his cars, but I'm really DONE with car dealerships for a while. Granted both of these transactions overall were easy, there was no haggling as we already knew the prices were more than fair for the vehicles. Yet the time it takes to go through paperwork and sitting through the "upcharge" presentations at both (NO I don't want paint protection, glass protection, a service contract) was enough for me.

I drove my daughter's 2015 RAV4 for the first time this week and it's a nice little car, perfect for her...she loves it! Can you tell?
upload_2019-2-28_14-2-13.jpeg

It is like the mini version of mine:
upload_2019-2-28_14-2-27.jpeg

I have to say I'm kinda looking forward to my 3 hour drive to New Jersey today in my car now.

And now for the latest news for future travel...it is looking more and more like we will be taking a trip to Florida for Spring Break/Easter weekend this year. My daughter and I are getting things arranged to volunteer at Give Kids the World. I think we'll end up driving down and back, which is a lot of driving, but ROAD TRIP in the new (ish) car for us. My husband and youngest son may also go, but I'm not sure what they will do while there since I'm not putting in paperwork for them to volunteer. Right now we have shifts on Saturday and Sunday of Easter.

We still have time to worry about details for this one, and I'm also still considering a short trip down just for 2 days to do our training, perhaps in March. That for sure will just be the two of us.

I too drive a 2015 white RAV4, bought new to me last year, which I LOVE! My husband inherited my white 2011 Honda CR-V, which I DESPISED!

I too drive a 2015 white RAV4, bought new to me last year, which I LOVE! My husband inherited my white 2011 Honda CR-V, which I DESPISED!

Wow...I tried to talk my daughter into the CRV actually, but she didn't like the looks of it as much. I thought it would also be a great car for her. This is the first time in my LIFE I have not owned a Honda. I've driven only Hondas since I first started driving, and now we are a family of 4 Toyotas: 2008, 2009 and two 2015s. I feel confident all of them will be with us for quite some time.

Quick little update from me. Had my first trip to the Jersey Shore Thursday-Friday last week. It was fabulous, so much fun meeting this group of women who I've known "virtually" for over 18 years or so. The house was beautiful, even with the snow. It was just so comfortable hanging out there, like old friends. The 3+ hour drive each way wasn't too bad.

Friday night my brother and family arrived at our house and stayed until Sunday. So nice seeing my little nephews and having them create all kinds of chaos and messes everywhere! Saturday night we had dinner with them, and my sister-in-law, and my dad and his girlfriend...early birthday dinner for me...it was lovely. Saturday night was also when I ended up coordinating with my family to fly out to California this coming weekend for my uncle's funeral as he passed away Thursday night. That planning has continued and I've now rented a house for me, DH and 6 of my family members to stay in while out for the funeral. We are all flying out from various East Coast locations, attending the funeral Monday, and coming back Tuesday.

I'm still working on that possible trip to Florida for Easter break though. I'm working with the Give Kids the World personnel to arrange for maybe an earlier training date that we can do and then have more time for volunteer work during Easter weekend. We'll see if I get that worked out.

So basically very busy weekend, and next weekend will be more of the same.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss

Thanks so much. Even though it was expected (we had a living "wake" of sorts here in Maryland for him back in December) it is still very hard to imagine life without him on this earth. Of all of my dad's siblings, he was just always so warm and full of life and cheerful...and quite frankly he was my favorite uncle. My dad is one of 8 kids and now there are 5 of them...2 girls and 3 boys...and I'm very concerned about one of my aunts as her health has also declined recently, almost immediately after my uncle's visit in December. Back then she was at least up and around, but now she's mostly bedridden and confused, so much that they have not told her at all about her brother's death because they really don't want to upset her. It breaks my heart, as she is also very much a favorite relative of mine, always has been. At least 4 of the brothers/sisters will be making the trip to California to say goodbye to attend their brother's services. It won't be easy I'm sure, but I'm glad that we can be there for my cousin who is now left with none of her parents, the only one of my cousins to be in that situation (and my uncle was 5th of the 8 kids, so he's not really that old). She is an only child (well had a brother who died in infancy of SIDS) and she isn't married and doesn't have children, so the last of my uncle's line really. Very sad about that.

I am so very thankful that in May of last year, I made the decision to join my husband on a business trip to Monterey, California, and made arrangements to see my uncle and family while there. He graciously offered his home to us for the evening before our flight the next day, and took the day to give us a tour of the entire San Francisco area along with his daughter and his wife. It was a perfect day for it.

upload_2019-3-5_15-8-23.jpegupload_2019-3-5_15-8-32.jpeg

This was before his diagnosis, when the only thing he had to manage was Parkinson's (which he's had for a few years now)...and not evil brain cancer. :(

Had my first trip to the Jersey Shore Thursday-Friday last week. It was fabulous, so much fun meeting this group of women who I've known "virtually" for over 18 years or so.

I've never been there but always wanted to check it out. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm sorry for your loss. That's so hard. I'm glad you got to go be with family and friends though.

Back from San Francisco...great trip with family.

Just rebooked our flights to/from Florida in March...adding a day for free thanks to the new SWA flight changes in effect...so bonus! Now to find a hotel for us. Can't stay near Disney. That may be torture. Hoping to plan a Universal day now on Sunday...just for fun.

Now to find a hotel for us. Can't stay near Disney. That may be torture.
:laughing: When we tried a non-Disney Universal trip back in 2015 we ended up at MK for a day. We tried getting our fix by going to DS 2 nights but that just spurred us on to a park lol. Good luck staying away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter