Never saw the original Tiki Room til this trip

bladiator

Disney on my mind
And I know why they went back to it! It is so charming. I always saw it on the old videos of WDW and thought it would be good, but anything looks like a great idea if it's not that horrible Iago.

And if what they have there is not really the original, then it's still way better than Iago. It actually uses all the different parts of the room to their best advantage. Almost like the room was built for it. ;-)

I've been around long enough to be familiar with all 3 iterations of this attraction. The present one is NOT the original, but is a very similar, condensed version. And yes, a great improvement over the awful Under New Management one.

And yes, the room was built specifically to maximize the use of all of the wall areas, as well as the center and ceiling. But I still miss some of the birds and flowers that are no longer present. I know that a lot of WDW guests never bother to see this show, but we always make a point of going there on our way out of Adventureland.

We LOVE the Tiki Room. I remember it from my childhood (1970s) and experienced it a few times "Under New Management" since. I just visited the restored version a week ago and it is refreshing, maybe not exactly the same as I experienced it but it sure seems right on.

I've been around long enough to be familiar with all 3 iterations of this attraction. The present one is NOT the original, but is a very similar, condensed version. And yes, a great improvement over the awful Under New Management one.

And yes, the room was built specifically to maximize the use of all of the wall areas, as well as the center and ceiling. But I still miss some of the birds and flowers that are no longer present. I know that a lot of WDW guests never bother to see this show, but we always make a point of going there on our way out of Adventureland.

So this current version is just a bit shorter than the original? One thing I hated about "Under New Management" was that they barely used the faces on the wall or the flowers. Once they started up, I was like "finally!" and then they got stopped almost instantly. This current iteration is much more intriguing. I know most people have ADD and can't watch 4 birds sing an entire song these days, but that's my kind of thing. You actually have to try to enjoy the music instead of always awaiting the next flash of light or mirror trick. :)

We love the Tiki Room. Especially the chanting tikis on the wall, the drummers up the the ceiling, and the big thunderstorm. :earsboy:

I liked both the past versions, haven't seen the new one but we'll be seeing it in a few weeks.

Yes, exactly. This is supposed to be charming and relaxing, not grating/annoying. So much better now.

The only big thing missing from the new version is the fountain show. I wish they could put that back in, but I guess there must be some mechanical reason they don't.

I was SO happy The Tiki Room's new management apparently fled. Having it almost back to normal was a surprise highlight of my recent trip.

I am so glad the 'new management' won't be there!! My mom loved going to the Tiki Room to enjoy the relaxing environment ...and possibly the fact it would lull we children to nap until the tikis talked ;) Having Zazu there was one thing, but Iago's annoying voice really ruined the atmosphere, in my opinion anyway. Viva la old school Disney!

This version is SOOOOweeeoh-ho SO MUCH BETTER than the horrible, shrieking Gilbert Gotfried one.

I love the Tiki Room again. I'd love the Original Original one more, the this new/old version is good.

I think I read somewhere that the new management one caught on fire while the park was closed and iago was badly charred, so it forced a re do. I never saw that one, but hearing how much everyone hated it, maybe a CM agreed and it wasn't the fire was a desperate arson. Lol.

I saw the show last november..it was the gilbert show...but I still loved it..the water feature was working at the time...my kids still sing the song....In the tiki tiki tiki room, where the birds sing and the flowers bloom.....

I think I read somewhere that the new management one caught on fire while the park was closed and iago was badly charred, so it forced a re do. I never saw that one, but hearing how much everyone hated it, maybe a CM agreed and it wasn't the fire was a desperate arson. Lol.

That's a great coverup story. :thumbsup2

I confess. It was me. I set the blaze. The Tiki Birds begged me to do it. After repeated requests to their manager (and the Tiki Gods), they had given up hope. Said they'd rather burn themselves in protest than be a party to that offense to mankind one more day.

I just couldn't refuse their request. It was so necessary.

Luckily, they didn't have to die. The fire was stopped (by some very hot firemen!) and Disney took a second look at the birds' request. A compromise was reached and we have the new/old Tiki Room.

I confess. It was me.
Kaligal, I was wondering who to thank!

Saw the "Under New Management" version once and never went back, I'm also not a fan of the GG whine. When there earlier this week, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it returned to the original concept.

Finally got to see the newest version two weeks ago and loved it. Couldn;t stop smiling!

Although I loved the fountain in the original, I actually like the smoke/volcano effect in the new show. It ties the indoor show into what we see out the "windows."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter