Never been during Christmas. What to expect? What to do?

elmonshea

I need a Disney Vacation !
My family and I have never been to Disney World during Christmas

What should we expect?

Anything that is a must do during this season?

You should expect crowds - even with reduced limited capac ity. I would suggest "touring" the deluxe resorts (at least some) to see the decorations. Also goto Disney Springs and do the Christmas Tree Trail. This year it's supposed to be spread out throughout the "springs".ity

Be sure to look for the special snacks or treats, at resorts as well as parks. Hopefully, (pre Covid) you will see snow falling in Main St reet.

Have fun, it truly is the most magical place at the most magical time of the year!!!

You should expect crowds - even with reduced limited capac ity. I would suggest "touring" the deluxe resorts (at least some) to see the decorations. Also goto Disney Springs and do the Christmas Tree Trail. This year it's supposed to be spread out throughout the "springs".ity

Be sure to look for the special snacks or treats, at resorts as well as parks. Hopefully, (pre Covid) you will see snow falling in Main St reet.

Have fun, it truly is the most magical place at the most magical time of the year!!!
What’s the weather like in December? Does it still shower daily?

It's Florida. It is a little of everything. One year it was 92 degrees on Christmas Day. Two days later a cold front highs were low 60s. Pack a little of everything from shorts to a jacket. Dress in layers. Pack a pair of light gloves and a hat. You never know, especially if you are riding the ferry boats.

It doesn't shower daily, but you can still get some rain.

It's Florida. It is a little of everything. One year it was 92 degrees on Christmas Day. Two days later a cold front highs were low 60s. Pack a little of everything from shorts to a jacket. Dress in layers. Pack a pair of light gloves and a hat. You never know, especially if you are riding the ferry boats.

It doesn't shower daily, but you can still get some rain.

Exactly as Bjkandma says. My mom and I went last December the week before Christmas and 5 of the 6 days were shorts an T-shirt weather. The other day was in the 50s and 60s, chilly enough for long pants and a jacket.

And definitely some form of rain gear. It poured for about an hour one evening at EPCOT at closing time. If we hadn’t had those nice Disney ponchos, we would have been soaked to the bone walking from Japan back to the front gates. Having an extra set of shoes is necessary if you end up having to walk through the rain like we did.

I agree with others about the weather. We have been the week before Christmas a few times and one year it was warm enough to go to the pool every day (we are from Georgia so warm enough means at least 75) and the next year we were bundled up in jackets, hats, scarves and gloves. I have never been when it hasn't rained at least some at least one day and I've been just about every month of the year.

As far as things to do, it's hard to say with the shorter park hours and the restrictions. Normally we do resort hop and look at decorations but from what I understand you have to have either an ADR or are staying at a resort to be there now so I'm not sure if you can do that. The resorts are going to have limited decorations but the trees are usually fun to see. They won't be having story tellers at Epcot this year but that was always a favorite of ours. I'm not sure how much the parks will be decorated but all of them really shine at night, HS is our favorite because they tend to go retro.

Yes, it will be crowded so you need to sort of lower your expectations as far as the rides you are going to ride. That doesn't bother us because we are not ride centric but it is something to keep in mind.

I have been there during Christmas for several years now. I don't every remember it being cold enough to wear long pants....of course i'm from the north so i can appreciate 70's. Plan to go around to all of the resorts to see the festivity. Also what a lot of people don't know....go to Fort Wilderness and walk around or take the inner bus. There are so many beautiful decorations that you can't imagine. Most of the campers come back year to year and only to show off their Christmas decorations. We have seen some of the campers have built scenes that depict each park. Awesome.

What to expect can only be based on the Christmas holiday seasons at WDW prior to the world-wide pandemic. In the past: Crowds/crowds/crowds, beautiful holiday decorations, special holiday themed treats, lots of Christmas joy, the Processional, Mickey's Christmas party, Osborne lights (until recently), resort hopping to see Christmas decorations, the Christmas Backyard Barbeque, , great New Year's celebrations (california Grill), late nights and early morning rope drops, cast members full of the holiday spirit, special parades, fun with friends/family, and memories for a lifetime. PS. Weather that may be really warm or really cold!! Covid will not impact this. Have a great time on your visit.

In a normal year lot of decorations / special events and lot of people. This year probably less of both :-(
I have been 2 times in Orlando during the christmas break. Very difficult to predict the weather. In the same week you may have excellent and sunny days followed by rain and cold weather. Prepare accordingly! :-)

My family and i went during the week of Christmas in 2015. We went into it knowing it was going to be packed. Honestly we were ready and had one of the best family trips ever. Definitely go around the the resorts and check out the decorations.

Last year was our first year at Christmas. We went the week prior and it was a magical trip! I loved looking at the decorations in the parks and resorts! We were good in t shirts and leggings/shorts most of the days, but needed a jacket in the evenings. I don't know what it will look like this year with covid (we are going again), but I am certain it will still be magical and beautiful! Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!