NetZero at Port Orleans Riverside

PirateOfTheCarribean

Earning My Ears
Hi all:

We're off to Port Orleans Riverside in mid-February, but we're going to need Internet access while we're there. We're seriously considering NetZero's free dial-up service. Here are some of the local access numbers they list for that area:

(321) 559-1305 Celebration, FL
(407) 842-1090 Lake Buena Vista, FL
(407) 559-0212 Montverde, FL
(321) 354-0000 Orlando, FL
(407) 506-0083 Orlando, FL
(407) 541-0601 Orlando, FL
(407) 641-4283 Orlando, FL

Has anyone used this service from POR, or does anyone just recognize what's local from this list? If so, can you tell me which number(s) are local access from there? Also, if you've used NetZero, how was the service in general?

Does anyone prefer a different ISP for some reason? Let us know.

Thanks,

Pirate

These are probably your best bets:

(321) 559-1305 Celebration, FL
(407) 842-1090 Lake Buena Vista, FL

These four I don't know about:

(321) 354-0000 Orlando, FL
(407) 506-0083 Orlando, FL
(407) 541-0601 Orlando, FL
(407) 641-4283 Orlando, FL

This one is DEFINITELY Long Distance! (407) 559-0212 Montverde, FL

The 321 area code is popping up all over the greater Orlando area. I have one, and most of my neighbors are 352.

Anne

Anne

Thanks, Anne. That was helpful.

BTW, we read your "moving in during the hurricane" story. What an experience! Very glad to hear you had no damage to your beautiful new home and that you were all safe.

Looks like you've got a pretty big back yard there...Is there room enough for a tent? pirate:

Seriously, though, if anyone has tried NetZero in the parks, we'd love to hear from you, too.

Cheers,

Pirate

Thanks! Yes, we're on a little under a half acre, nice sized yard. Not sure about setting up a tent in the abckyard though--you'd likely get pelted by a golf ball pretty early in the morning!

Anne

Which local number worked for you? I am going to be moving over to Pop on Tuesday. Thanks.

if you look at the front of the phone book, it will tell you what are considered local (non-toll) numbers. That's how we figured out the number we were going to use was not local.

Hi Mimi Q:

When we were at POR in the summer, the following NetZero number worked as a local for us: (407) 571-1239. This is a Winter Park, FL, number.

If that one doesn't work, the following two are supposed to be locals also, although I can't guarantee these from personal experience:

(321) 559-1305 - Celebration, FL
(407) 842-1090 - Lake Buena Vista, FL

You will be charged 75 cents by the hotel for each call, but at least you won't have to pay long distance.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Pirate

Hi Got Quattro:

We don't normally use dial-up; but, as of last summer anyway, POR didn't have high speed connections in the rooms. So, it was either find a dial-up solution or don't connect. That wasn't an option with our business, so we picked up NetZero while we were away.

I'm waiting for the day that Disney World gets on-board with industry trends and offers free high-speed in all their rooms, like most hotels do.

Cheers,

Pirate.

I don't think you'll need dial up. Wireless should be activiated. See this link: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/Resorts/wireless.htm I think the only resorts that do not have High Speed Access are the Value Resorts.

From the link --
While all of the Disney resorts have dial-up access, the following have or are scheduled to have High Speed Internet Access:

Disney's Beach Club Villas
Disney Boardwalk Resort (Inn & Villas)
Disney's Contemporary Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort Cabins & preferred sites
Disney's Old Key West Resort
Disney's Port Orleans Resort, French Quarter
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts
Disney Polynesian Resort - scheduled 8/15/05
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside - scheduled 9/1/05
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort - scheduled 10/20/05
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge - scheduled 10/27/05
Disney's All Star Movies Resort - scheduled 12/6/05
Disney's All Star Music Resort - scheduled 1/13/06
Disney's All Star Sports Resort - scheduled 2/14/06
Disney's Pop Century Resort - scheduled 4/19/06

I know that AKL just had their HS hookup activated a few days ago, and POR was scheduled to be activated quite a bit before AKL. At AKL, a poster who spoke to the desk said that the cable is also supplied, but I usually bring my own.

Hi Michellex2:

Thanks so much for that update! I haven't looked into this since the summer, when we were planning our last trip. This is great news for our next trip in July, when we'll be on both the Disney Cruise and in one of the hotels for a week!

The note about the Disney Cruise going wireless on the link you posted is music to our ears! :cool1:

Much appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Pirate

PirateOfTheCarribean said:
Hi Mimi Q:

When we were at POR in the summer, the following NetZero number worked as a local for us: (407) 571-1239. This is a Winter Park, FL, number.

If that one doesn't work, the following two are supposed to be locals also, although I can't guarantee these from personal experience:

(321) 559-1305 - Celebration, FL
(407) 842-1090 - Lake Buena Vista, FL

You will be charged 75 cents by the hotel for each call, but at least you won't have to pay long distance.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Pirate

Thanks so much!! :flower:

I don't normally do dial up anymore (airport card equipped Macs with cable), but free dial-up is better than $9.95 for 24 contiguous hours charged to the room account.

Hi SueM:

Just to make sure we're comparing apples to apples, dial-up access isn't actually free. Disney doesn't offer dial-up service itself, they just allow you to use their phone lines to do it.

We still had to pay NetZero $14 for a month of their Platinum service (I think you can get their regular service for around $10) and 75 cents to the hotel for every time we connected through the phone.

For a week, connecting twice a day, that added up to around $25 (I count the whole month's NetZero charge in here, because we only subscribed for a month to use it for that one week).

It's still much cheaper than $10 a day for high-speed, but not completely free.

Cheers,

Pirate

PirateOfTheCarribean said:
Hi SueM:

Just to make sure we're comparing apples to apples, dial-up access isn't actually free. Disney doesn't offer dial-up service itself, they just allow you to use their phone lines to do it.

We still had to pay NetZero $14 for a month of their Platinum service (I think you can get their regular service for around $10) and 75 cents to the hotel for every time we connected through the phone.

NetZero does have a level of service that is free for a limited number of hours. Also, many DSL users have a set amount of dialup hours included in their package. Just because your dialup isn't "free" doesn't mean someone else's isn't.

BTW most hotels don't offer free high speed internet. The lower end of a hotel chain offers free high speed but the high end hotels don't. Usually it is 9.95 a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter