Netflix question using the Wii

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
Would this work? I want to get a second Wii so we can watch Netflix on two televisions. I have the Netflix plan for one dvd mailed to you at a time, I think it's the $9 plan.

This would help everyone in the house watch Netflix streaming by having two Wiis.

I don't have two wii's but I do stream on multiple devices (wii, netbook, desktop and two ipods) and sometimes more than one at the same time so I'd think it should work as long as the plan you have includes unlimited streaming. But a word to the wise check your limits on your internet plan. Some them restrict how much data you can stream at the same time and charge overage fees if you go past the limit.

I would want the second Wii to stream netflix and to use for Wii games.
I will have my DH look at your post regarding Roku.:confused3

Yes, one account can stream to two seperate wii consoles. We do it, one we at out vacation home and one at home. You just enter both into your device console in Netflix.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not they can do it simutaneously. You'd think this would have come up by now in my house (three people with smartphones that can stream netflix, plus two tvs) but we've never tried to stream two things at once through our one account. Hrm.

Yes, you can stream to two devices at once (sometimes netflix pukes when I try three at once though). Quality may suffer just slightly due to the shared bandwidth, but probably won't be noticable.

If you're concerned about cost, get the Wii used from gamestop; not much more expensive than a Roku.

If you only want the 2nd one to watch Netflix on, a Roku would be much cheaper.

Heck, lots of Blu-ray players with Netflix capability are even cheaper than the Roku box!

Back to the Wii, there shouldn't be many bandwidth/picture quality issues since Wiis are not High Definition devices...

Will I have to pay more money monthly to Netflix if I have two Wiis hooked up?? Right now we have the $9 one DVD mailed out at a time hooked up to one Wii.

thanks everyone

Will I have to pay more money monthly to Netflix if I have two Wiis hooked up?? Right now we have the $9 one DVD mailed out at a time hooked up to one Wii.

thanks everyone

No - I think the limit is 5 devices at once (check the Netflix site - it says it there). We often have the Wii streaming Netflix and 2 phones at the same time doing the same, and I think once the computer was even going at the same time.

No. You can have up to 6 streaming devices to one account according to the "rules" but that number may have recently changed (increased). However, I read a blog that one individual states he works for Netflix and if you call to find out about hitting the max, they will offer you an additional stream as a "one time courtesy." According to him they are or at least were licensed for 7 streams through the movie clearing houses but as a practice Netflix only allowed 6 streams.

I should add that they refer to the additional stream as a "one time courtesy" because every year Netflix says it removes your streaming devices off your account. It said they do that because you may replace a computer or other equipment and that device isn't removed from your list automatically. If this happens, you just reconnect your device...

We sometimes have a hard time streaming on 2 devices at once. It might just be that we dont have enough bandwidth.

And I should add that every time you stream from more than one device simultaneously you do compromise, picture, quality, and response time...

Hmmm. Right now, my granddaughter is watching cartoons on Netflix/Wii in the living room, and my husband is watching a movie in our bedroom on Netflix/Roku. They always do that. No quality problems.

However, when both are watching Netflix, I cannot watch Netflix on the computer. They only allow two streams at a time.

Hmmm. Right now, my granddaughter is watching cartoons on Netflix/Wii in the living room, and my husband is watching a movie in our bedroom on Netflix/Roku. They always do that. No quality problems.

However, when both are watching Netflix, I cannot watch Netflix on the computer. They only allow two streams at a time.

Unless you have some lower limit plan, this should not be the case. As I said, I know we've done about 4 things simultaneously and another poster said the limit is 6 per Netflix.

If you really want 2 Wiis I would consider this, however, if the primary reason is to watch good picture quality, the Wii is not the way to go. The quality on the Wii is 480p while the Roku box can get 1080p. The quality IS noticeable. We have a Wii in the family room and after seeing the difference, we opted for a Roku box in there.

Dawn

Would this work? I want to get a second Wii so we can watch Netflix on two televisions. I have the Netflix plan for one dvd mailed to you at a time, I think it's the $9 plan.

This would help everyone in the house watch Netflix streaming by having two Wiis.

We have 2 Wii's...one upstairs and one downstairs. However...we've found that we can't watch Netflix on both Wii's at the same time (my dad and husband decided to watch 2 different shows/movies on each of the Wii's one night...and they kept freezing each other out).

If I were you, I'd figure out something different (as someone mentioned, a Roku). Although, I'm unsure if you were watching something on the Wii and the kids were watching something different on the Roku if it would react the same as the Wii's. *shrugs*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter